Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux creator says Windows, OS X, iOS and Android are all malware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

According to Stallman’s post in The Guardian, any software that’s not distributed free of charge can be considered malware. “In the 21st century, proprietary software is computing for suckers,” he wrote.

Stallman says OS software is currently designed to spy on users, shackle them via DRM and even have backdoors that can be used for malicious purposes.

“What kinds of programs constitute malware? Operating systems, first of all,” he said. “Windows snoops on users, shackles users and, on mobiles, censors apps; it also has a universal back door that allows Microsoft to remotely impose software changes. Microsoft sabotages Windows users by showing security holes to the NSA before fixing them.”

Article

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 May 2015 - 10:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 480 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

RIchard Stallman did is not the "creator" of Linux;  that honour belongs to Linus Torvalds.  Richard Stallman has been involved in the open source movement for a very long time and has created or helped create many of the tools and other infrastructure in a Linux distribution (gcc, glibc, emacs, etc).  It may seem like a distinction without a difference, but it's an important one.

Now as for his first point above, I agree with.  The rest, well I think that's primarily Microsoft acting just like any other defacto monoply in any market;  his comments about security holes and the NSA is interesting.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

"In the 21st century, proprietary software is computing for suckers,"

I would certainly agree with that part, Every program* I run is free software, a decent proportion of them are open source, most of the best ones anyway. I look forward to when I get a chance to start testing linux so I can have a free and open source operating system as well as programs running on it.

The rest of his arguments also make good sense, and I certainly agree it is wrong when software is designed to shackle it's users.

*I'm currently a windows user so my programs might be free, and mainly open source, but my OS isn't. I look to start testing with live linux very soon.

Edited by rp88, 26 May 2015 - 12:13 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:28 AM

Very interesting perspective, and one that I won't argue with. Any OS that uses information to track the end-users behaviour should rightly be called malware.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:06 AM

"They say when you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear satanic messages ..... but that's nothing, if you play it forward it will install Windows"

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 480 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

Very interesting perspective, and one that I won't argue with. Any OS that uses information to track the end-users behaviour should rightly be called malware.

Browser cookies?

Nick, last time I tried that I got a BSOD.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

"They say when you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear satanic messages ..... but that's nothing, if you play it forward it will install Windows"

So it is the same backward and forward.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

Linus Torvalds created the kernel for the Linux OS. Richard Stallman created the rest of the OS back in the eighties.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users