Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wlanext.exe using 25% of CPU constantly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 budphotog

budphotog

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

I've got a brand new Toshiba Satellite P55W-B laptop with a Core i7 processer and 8GB of RAM running Windows 8.1 Looking at the specs, one would be led to believe that it should be faster than a much older Satellite, but it's not! Since I have a bit of "geek" in me, I did a little exploring, after I heard the cooling fan running while the computer was sitting idle. I opened Task Manager, and saw that the CPU graph was showing quite a bit of activity, even though as I said, the computer was idle. It has been a couple of hours since I checked it's still showing 25% CPU usage by wlanext.exe  (See attached screenshot)

Does anyone have any idea why this process would be consistently hogging the CPU like that? It's seriously reducing the performance of the laptop, not to mention making the fan run at full speed every once in a while to cool it down.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

Description: "Wlanext.exe" is an important part of Windows, but often causes problems (can be infected). Wlanext.exe is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

It is the Windows LAN program for your Wireless Networking program.

Try the following methods:

Method 1:

Step 1:

Boot the computer in safe mode with networking and check if the issue persists.

( Safe Mode instructions are also at the top of Windows 8 section of this forum )

Let’s boot the computer in Safe Mode and check if issue reappears. Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer in a limited state.

Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you’re using.

Step 2:

If issue does not appear in safe mode, there could be possibility of some background programs conflicting with the smooth running of the computer.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start computer by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot". A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Method 2:

Refer the following article to download and install Windows Defender Offline and check if it helps.

What is Windows Defender Offline?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

Please run these simple programs, and Copy and Paste the logs from them..

Download Screen317 Security Check from Here or Here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
  • Please Copy/Paste the contents of that document.

Note 1:: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, ignore it and allow it to

Next -
Please download MiniToolBox  to desktop to run it.
 Checkmark the following boxes:

• List content of Hosts
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click Go and Copy / Paste the result. (result.txt)

Also - Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

Thank You -

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

Hello -

Are you happy with the answer I provided, as you have not replied ??

Description: "Wlanext.exe" is an important part of Windows, but often causes problems (can be infected).

It is the Windows LAN program for your Wireless Networking program.

NOTE : Average usage will be about 25% on most modern computers .......

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 31 May 2015 - 06:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users