Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two ADSL modems on the same telephone line

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 fsantoke

fsantoke

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

Is there any way to use two adsl modems on the same telephone line. Whenever I have tried, only one gets an adsl lock.

I believe this is because the telephone line can accept only one mac address. (Need verification on this).

If that is true, is there any way around. Or is there any way to spoof the mac address of any one modem. One is Sitecom and the other is Dlink.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:54 AM

I'd have to look that up but before I do, why are you doing this? what is it you are trying to accomplish?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 fsantoke

fsantoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

I live in a house that is quite long. I tried using a wifi extender. But it did not work. I would have to use two or three. I do not have the house wired for cat6. So essentially I am trying to get internet in my living room, and office room/bedroom which are quite a distance apart (I have telephone lines in all rooms but not cat6). Thanks for your interest.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

The simple answer is you can't. But have you looked into power line adapters? They are a bit finicky but might be worth a look. I'd try to buy them locally(Best Buy or Wal-Mart) just to test if they work that way you don't have to wait for them, try them and if they don't work, then fight with an online store to return them. If they work then see if it's worth buying them online and returning the others.

Just curious what wifi extender did you use? how long is your house?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 fsantoke

fsantoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:26 AM

I am in Mumbai, India and new houses are wired with three phase supply. So the phase in my living room and bedroom MAY be different. Therefore I doubt that power line adapters would work.

The distance would be around 75 feet, but there are huge columns along the way. I had used a Dlink extender, but even just outside the room the signal was -80dbm and lower.

I know the short answer is NO. But I was hoping for some indirect way. (In my earlier working I had changed the mac address of my network card (directly through RTL software on the card, and not thru windows registry). I was hoping someone here would have a unique "spoof" for my problem.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

Yes I said the simple answer because I don't feel like quoting all the web pages that explain why you can't. In a nut shell it isn't the MAC address it's the signals. You should have some sort of splitter that allows voice and DSL on the same line. Those DSL signals wouldn't work coming from 2 different modems.

If power line won't work, you don't want to install cable, paying for 2 phone lines seems a bit expensive, perhaps moving the DSL modem to a more central location and trying the extender again OR using shorter cables.

What is the make and model of your DSL modem/router? Which dlink extender did you try?

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

The easy way is to just put one modem in a center location and a WIFI router from there.  Mounting the router high or on a second floor would help extend that range.

#8 fsantoke

fsantoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

It is not the cost of the cat6 cable, but concealing it with the internal wiring that will cost a bomb (The civil work). My Dlink router is 2750U. Dlink extender was DIR-505.

I had also tried Dlink DAP-1320.

As for the spiltter; as that is mainly for the phone, I have connected my two telephones with their individual two splitters (tel line>splitter>phone); and the modems directly to the line in parallel. So voice and data is split for each phone. So that should not be a problem. (I agree it is a non-standard use, but I think that is the easiest way out, and wonder why nobody thought of that!) Two splitters in parallel have not caused any line degradation so far.

Thanks for your interest.

#9 fsantoke

fsantoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:08 AM

Unfortunately I am on one floor only. I know higher is better, as I get (weak) signals from devices on the floors above me, mjd420nova.

Thanks for your interest.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

OK lets just stop with the 2 modem idea, it won't work. So lets concentrate on what will. A better wifi extender.

Those wireless extenders plug directly into the power, unless you have power outlets near the ceiling those will never work. You need an extender that you can put up on a shelf, like this or this, although I would get one with external antennas. I am not recommending either of those over others I was just giving you examples of the type I would recommend.

I would put the DSL device up on a shelf. Then take a laptop, get it connected to your DSL device, and slowly walk away and into rooms until you lose the signal, then you'll know where it dies. Go back to where you are as far as you can get away from the DSL device but still have really good signal, it doesn't have to be full signal but it shouldn't be less than like 1 bar down and full signal would be better not going to lie. This is where I would put the extender. Up on a shelf. And you don't want to daisy chain extenders.

#11 fsantoke

fsantoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

Many thanks for your keen advice CaveDweller2. I have tried putting the Dlink modem high up. But immediately outside the room the signal drops to one bar. Using an app on my mobile it shows -80 to -85dbm. That seems to be the main hurdle.

I would like you to point me to any website that would mention the "real" reason other than mac address as to why it would not work.

I had even considered Netgear-WN3000RP-200PES-Universal-Range-Extender because of the antenna's. But was not sure if it would increase the range dramatically.

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

It is the ISP [your internet provider] that controls what modem is active.  Should be possible if you paid for two accounts to have two modems.  For example I have 3 Comcast cable internet accounts here at work which results in three modems but I only have one cable coming into the building.  With DSL its a matter of what pairs are used in the phone line [most internal/external is 8 lines/4 pairs] so its just a matter of how you have your pairs broke out at the demarc [where the lines comes from the outside to your building] matching your internal wiring.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

Have you tried moving it to a different room? Get it as centrally located and as high as you can.

My DSL device does wireless but just outside the room it sits in the signal almost dies. So just on the other side of the wall up on a shelf there is a wireless router I use as an access point(AP). It used to be a wireless bridge but I ran a cat6 cable so now it's just a regular AP. It covers almost my entire yard and easily the whole house.

That access point still plugs into the wall socket which is going to be really low to the ground.

#14 fsantoke

fsantoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for your feedback Wand3r3r. Here ADSL is given on 2 wire phone line. As I mentioned above, I use a splitter with each of my two telelphones on the line.

I can easily put a mains extension wire to get my router high up, for whichever device I use, but the columns seem to attenuate the wifi.

I was hoping for an "impossible spoof". Maybe somethings are just impossible (currently).

#15 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:34 PM

Not only can't you do it but if you did you would be defrauding the ISP.

As CaveDweller2 suggests you need to give up that train of thought.

Powerline does work with 3 phase power.  Even better when the rooms you are networking are on the same phase.

look at the 10th question

http://www.tp-link.com/en/news-details-406.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users