Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there any benefit from running Unchecky and ShouldIRemoveIt simultaneously?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:20 AM

Hi all!

I just downloaded and installed Unchecky, which is now running silently in the background; protecting me against 3rd party software offers while installing freeware. I of course know that it is also wise to stay alert and pay attention to the so-called 'check-boxes' in general during any program installation. I have already noticed that this tool has a fairly small memory footprint (4.568 kB and 7.280 kB, totals 11.848 kB); quite nice in IMHO. B)

But now I am wondering, is there any benefit from adding ShouldIRemoveIt to my security setup? This program has a somewhat similar approach to malware or PUPs, and like Unchecky it also offers real-time protection. :busy:

Both programs are made by Reason Software Company Inc. and are getting relatively good reviews on the Internet. :)

In the recent past I managed to remove some malware with herdProtect, so I know Reason to be active in this business. :thumbup2:

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 27 May 2015 - 08:52 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

If we're talking about removing crapware I prefer Malwarebytes or Emsisoft. But then both only offer real time protection in paid version (free version does not).

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

Where do you see that the "ShouldIRemoveIt?" program offers real-time protection? It doesn't mention it on their website.

What is Should I Remove It?
Should I Remove It? is a very simple but extremely powerful Windows application that helps users, both technical and non technical, decide what programs they should remove from their PC. This typically includes finding and removing all sorts of crapware and bloatware such as adware, spyware, toolbars, bundled unwanted applications as well as many forms of malware. The program is very lightweight and extremely fast. Should I Remove It? simply scans your computer for all its' installed programs and then ranks what should be removed by leveraging the wisdom of the crowd (and of course our technical experts) to determine what should not be installed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

In my experience, unchecky works best within advanced or custom installs.  I used Should I Remove It, which did not list programs in alpha order, until a better listing program came along.  I can simply uninstall what is no longer wanted or needed. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

No.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

Quietman, you're "the truth!"  The only real benefit is akin to installing a home alarm system, it simply reminds one to be more careful about what's going on around you, in this case, one is reminded to watch custom & advance installs closer, and to be aware of what is being installed.  No more, no less.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 May 2015 - 02:59 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

...The only real benefit is akin to installing a home alarm system, it simply reminds one to be more careful about what's going on around you, in this case, one is reminded to watch custom & advance installs closer, and to be aware of what is being installed.  No more, no less.

+1
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

Hi again, Alexstrasza, Aura., RolandJS & quietman7!

Thank you all for the prompt and informative replies!

If we're talking about removing crapware I prefer Malwarebytes or Emsisoft. But then both only offer real time protection in paid version (free version does not).

Yes, as you can see in my signature, I have already tried both Malwarebytes and Emsisoft, and they helped me eliminate some malware, but Malwarebytes is not quite as light-weight in terms of memory footprint, IMHO.

Where do you see that the "ShouldIRemoveIt?" program offers real-time protection? It doesn't mention it on their website.

Upon installation, by entering Settings, one gets an opportunity to "Enable program alert notifications", thus real-time protection.

By enabling notifications, Should I Remove It? will run quietly in the background checking for new programs being installed on your PC, particularly the kinds of programs that try to sneak in with bundled software downloads such as adware, spyware, bloatware, crapware and even some malware.

In my experience, unchecky works best within advanced or custom installs.  I used Should I Remove It, which did not list programs in alpha order, until a better listing program came along.  I can simply uninstall what is no longer wanted or needed. 

Please explain: Which "better listing program came along"?

No.

Well, as I understand you, running both programs at the same time would obviously cause them to overlap, which neither would be helpful nor safe.

Also, ShouldIRemoveIt has a significantly higher memory usage than Unchecky, roguely 38.056 kB, which is not acceptable either.

...The only real benefit is akin to installing a home alarm system, it simply reminds one to be more careful about what's going on around you, in this case, one is reminded to watch custom & advance installs closer, and to be aware of what is being installed.  No more, no less.

+1

That is a nice comparison. :whistle:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 27 May 2015 - 08:54 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

It looks like they should update the program's webpage to include that then, as it can be an attractive feature for some.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

Hi again, Aura.!

Well, yeah, but generally Unchecky does pretty much the same job as ShouldIRemoveIt, but without being so memory-consuming.

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 28 May 2015 - 07:34 AM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

Please explain: Which "better listing program came along"? -- I have Revo Uninstaller Pro and Wise Program Uninstaller, both of them give me an alpha-order listing of all programs installed.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

Revo Uninstaller and Wise Program Uninstaller aren't the same kind of program as "ShouldIRemoveIt?".

unite_blue.png

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:27 AM

Aura, you're right as rain  :)   I use Revo or Wise from time to time to see what-all exits on C-drive; uninstall what is no longer needed.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

ShouldIRemoveIt? is a program that list all your installed programs, and rate them from "Good to bad", based on the data they have gathered from their user reviews on their website. It's not used to uninstall a program, and Revo/Wise do not do that rating thing either.

unite_blue.png

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

Aura, you're correct; I should have mentioned earlier that I no longer wanted or needed ShouldIRemoveIt? offering the ratings.  While Revo & Wise do not offer ratings, they do offer...drum-roll...program removal  :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users