Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Ground Loop from Onboard Sound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ousio

Ousio

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:08 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have used this forum to solve other PC issues in the past, but I have now encountered one that I cannot for the life of me figure out. First here is what I am running:

Case: Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower (front panel is connected)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 AM3+
Processor: AMD FX-8350 8 Core Black Edition
Ram: 16 GB (2 X 8 GB) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card: EVGA GTZ 970 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5 256 bit 
Power Supply: TR2 600w
HD: Sandisk 128 gb SSD & Samsung 256 SSD

Initially, my entire rig would just shut off anytime a graphically intense game would be played. First I thought it might be a temperature issue so I replaced my case because the old case I had wasn't really pushing/pulling a lot of air. This didn't fix the issue. Then I thought it was the graphics card because when I switched out for an older one that didn't require as much power it wouldn't shut off. So I replaced mine with the new GTZ 970. When I did that it still shut off. It was at this point that I noticed the weird sound and sound card going crazy. I read online that it might be a bad PSU so I went through that warranty process and installed the new PSU which fixed the system shutting off (apparently the old PSU had a bad 12v rail), but I am now having sound card issues. Before I spend any more money assuming I know what is wrong, I have decided to ask for some help. 

If I have my speakers plugged into the back or the front panel as soon as the windows load screen begins the transition to the login screen I get a lot of interference and whine and no system sound or program sound works. The mobo has realtek sound built in and came with an interface that was useful for making sure things were plugged incorrectly and calibrated. One of the features I liked was the notification that something was plugged in or unplugged. Now it just does that constantly even if nothing is unplugged or plugged in. About every 5-10 seconds it will show up in the notifications bar. I have tried disabling everything and reinstalling drivers. I have made sure the HDMI isn't enabled. I uninstalled the realtek interface so now I just have the one from the Control Panel. If I open up the Sound interface from the Control Panel the Headphones icon just appears and disappears (it is disabled and nothing is plugged in) I believe it also thinks that a microphone is plugged in. This has led to me possibly believe in having a ground loop based on reading other things online. I don't know if a ground loop would cause all the glitches with thinking things were plugged in and unplugging, but I am at my wits end with this.

Also, I have tried different speakers, headphones, and nothing has worked. My mobo is seated on brass fittings and isn't loose. 

If anyone has suggestions on what they think it could be or would like more information about specifics, please let me know. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

A serious inspection of the board header/connector that feeds the front panel and back panel jacks for the audio outputs.  Usually they are a three pin affair and the connector could be reversed but that would only swap the left and right channels.  The OS can tell which jack/s are active and if a separate card is in use, things can get looped and feedback would occur.

#3 Ousio

Ousio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

If I was able to post pictures of those spots on the mobo as well as the cable for the front panel, would that be helpful?  I just do not possess the technical knowledge to accurately diagnose that.

One more thing, I am only running the built in sound that came with the mobo. The new graphics card however does include sound out capabilities with the 2 HDMI outputs (both are disabled). I tried swapping another card in to see if that was the issue, but it was still producing the feedback/looping the connect disconnect message.

I appreciate your response. 

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

Check for chafed wires going to the front panel jack.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Ousio

Ousio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

I disconnected the front panel completely so that only the back was connected and the problem persisted. I am starting to think the mobo might just have shorted out when PSU was shutting down the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users