Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 to Win8 FAIL!!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cannon.services

cannon.services

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

Hello my name is Nic, I apologize in advance if my problem is being repeated...

I have a friend with a refurbished HP Probook 6570b, of course no sticker containing S/N or any neccessary information. It's does have the Win7 sticker and upon reviewing specs Win7 was recommended OS. Anyway someone upgraded OS to Win 8.1, which has caused performance issues now. To my surprise though the Laptop is working better than I expected. On top of that I am unable to restore to factory settings. I believe that the hidden recovery partition was over written or wiped.  Of course to ISO file on hand or recovery discs either. Don't even have the product key for original Win7 OS.

So my questions are as followed:

1) Am I able to use recovery software to retrieve any useful information?

2) Would I be able to use Command Prompt to find S/N#

3) How would I find the factory ISO file? If found, how do I recover authentic product activation key?

I would be greatful for any help or steps I can take to fix this problem. Thank you and sorry in advance!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:37 AM

Hi cannon.services :)

You could try using ProduKey by NirSoft, to see if you can recover the product key embedded in the BIOS for that laptop. It might not work, but it's worth a try.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

I don't think that the Serial Number will be of any use to find the original product key, unless you call HP. But even there, I think they'll ask for a proof of purchase (original one), which your friend probably doesn't have. Here's other methods you can use to find the product key:

http://www.howtogeek.com/209975/how-to-find-your-pc%E2%80%99s-windows-product-key-so-you-can-reinstall-windows/

Factory .iso are usually not available for download on the manufacturer's website, you have to call them and ask for a set of recovery discs, which will most likely cost you money. If the key is still embedded in the BIOS though, you should be able to install Windows 7 from a normal, clean .iso and the activation should be automatic. There's no guarantee from my part however as that whole activation process can often work in mysterious ways. I can do some research on it however if needed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users