Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 32 to 64

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 estdrag

estdrag

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:38 AM

Hi. 

I have windows 7 32  and i am trying to install windows 8 64.  Trying to installation from auto start ''setup exe'' error come us saying. :

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running. Check your computers systerm information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and than contact the software publisher.

When trying to start instalation from Boot menu, goes straight to starting already installed windows 7.

I have checked, and my pc is more than capable of running 64 bit windows.  

Any ideas what should i do ? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:58 AM

Hi estdrag :)

Sadly, x86 and x64 are two different architectures, you cannot upgrade an installation of Windows 32-bits to a 64-bits one, or downgrade from 64-bits to 32-bits. Since you have Windows 732-bits and you are trying to upgrade to Windows 8 64-bits, it throws you this error message. You need to perform a clean installation, which means to wipe the current installed Windows, and install the new version on it. In order to do that, you will have to boot from the installation media (either a USB or a disc like a CD or DVD) and then you'll do the installation from there. You can easily create a bootable disc by burning the Windows 8 .iso using ImgBurn, or a bootable USB using RUFUS or YUMI.

ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
RUFUS: https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
YUMI: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 estdrag

estdrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:06 AM

I have burned windows 864 on CD, well DVD. As i insert it, restart computer and run boot menu, select CD-DVD drive. it puts me straight to starting widows already installed as i said.

But i understand what you are saying, how can i wipe out old windows ? 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

During the installation, it'll ask you on which partition you want to install Windows. So you'll select the one where Windows is currently installed, click on Advanced Settings and select Format. Then, once done, you'll pick that partition to install Windows on.

Where did you download the .iso from? What program did you use to burn the CD/DVD?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 estdrag

estdrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

First of all, Thanks for Your help. I really Appreciate it.

To Burn DVD I have used CDBurnerXP. Because i have done that before I have posted this topic on here. I think I have done it correctly because pc asks if i want to autostart the installer after inserting the DVD into the drive while the pc is on. if that makes sense. 

But i have also tried Using Rufus 2.1.  So i have installed the program on my 8gb Sandisk memory stick. After that i have manually copppied windows cd content into the memory stick. restarted PC, booted to memory stick.  I think at that point i was asked to type in the command to start installation but i dont know what command t write. 

Any further ideas ? 

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

So i have installed the program on my 8gb Sandisk memory stick. After that i have manually copppied windows cd content into the memory stick.

That's not how you do it. It can work, but there's high chances of failure that way. You need to use RUFUS to create a bootable USB. Which means you launch RUFUS, select the drive which is your USB, select the .iso you want to put on it and click on Start. This is the right way to proceed.

Also, where is that Windows 8 .iso coming from?

Edited by Aura., 26 May 2015 - 07:52 AM.

unite_blue.png

#7 estdrag

estdrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

oh, you have lost me there for a minute sorry.   I am just coping the ISO file using Rufus. hope it works. 

The windows is not an original legitimate version.  I have got it as an ISO file form kickass.to

It has worked. I am instaling windows now.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

The windows is not an original legitimate version. I have got it as an ISO file form kickass.to

Sadly, I cannot continue assisting you any further, since BleepingComputer won't offer assistance if you are to use pirated, copyrighted material without consent. It's in the BleepingComputer rules which can be found below:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

It's good that you managed to launch the installation, but now you won't be able to get support for it here sadly since you're using a pirated version.

Good luck.

unite_blue.png

#9 estdrag

estdrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:32 AM

I understand.  

I would just like to take time to Thank you for your Help.

I really appreciate your help.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

No problem estdrag, my pleasure none the less :)

unite_blue.png

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

Topic closed, forum rules prohibit assisting members with illegal versions of Windows O/S or pirated software.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users