Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Jibberish files in Desktop Background List XP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 iampermanent

iampermanent

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:35 AM

Wasn't sure where to post this but...

For those of which I've already chatted with you know I've been cleaning up my Windows XP 32-bit computer, which thanks to everyone's help is a great success thus far! :bananas: (thanks again)

One question though, when I go to change my Desktop Background, I have all these 5 random blank ones at the start of the list:

!hczlcxklsjtmjklwkxerm

$vxvmklsjtmjklwkxeiztb

)irwutiklsjtmjklwkxeqi

^ksrksjtmjklwkxennbuq

AAODFymklsjtmjklwkxenotdwf

When I click on them nothing happens, the preview is just a grey blank screen.

I guess I'm just wondering why they are there and if it's anything suspicious or anything like that? 

And if there is anyway to remove them (if necessary) how?

Regards,

Justin :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

Likely leftovers from some desktop hijacker. Delete them.

EDIT: Have you tried right clicking on each file and choosing delete?

Edited by buddy215, 26 May 2015 - 03:14 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

Thought so. But the thing is I don't know how to delete them, I tried to find them in folders and what not, but no luck.
Could you help me with that?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

I edited my first post and you may have missed this:  EDIT: Have you tried right clicking on each file and choosing delete?

If you can't choose to delete....what options are offered when right clicking on each file if any?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

Oops my bad didn't see your edit.

That's what I thought I could do but when I right click there is only 1 option and it says 'what's this?' That's even with all the other proper sneak too backgrounds that work. Are you saying there is actually an option to delete backgrounds just by right clicking? Cause I haven't been able to do that for years!!! Is that concerning?? Haha

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

It's been some years back but I seem to recall it being something of a PITA to find the location of the actual images. So, I did a bit of a search and came up

with two sites that offer help in doing that.

How to Remove a Background from the Desktop Background List

Delete Unwanted Wallpaper Files - Wallpaper - Windows XP

It wouldn't be a problem to just leave them be if those suggestions don't work.

I looked at another of your posts and saw that you were installing new security programs. Have you scanned with those recently? Especially using MBAM and an antivirus program.

Edited by buddy215, 26 May 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#7 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:08 PM

I tried the first one yesterday, but couldn't actually find a folder that these so called files are kept. I will give the second one a try, thanks.

Yeah, I've been trying to give my Windows XP some more life lol cleaning up junk and stuff and wanting to become diligent with anti-virus/malware protection, as we've had troubles with that in the past. I've been running regular scans the past few days but it hasn't come up with anything, and I also found some other malware that wasn't picked up by MBAM or any of the other software.

I will give the second suggestion a go and get back to you, and if I can't delete them it's no big deal as long as it's not some sneaky thing to creep up and ruin my computer (and all my hard work the past few days haha :)) thanks for your help!

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

You should scan using two programs mainly designed to remove adware. Especially if you have added add-ons or programs recently. Even some free security programs

attempt to install adware.

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

#9 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

Aw man you've been a great help! I actually had those 2 programs installed previously but with all the new software additions now I wasn't sure I need them all so I got rid of those two. Definitely redownloading them again

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

Did you download and install CryptoMonitor? If so, be aware that after installation, randomly named folders (i.e. %klsjtmjklwkxeqzjbjrim) containing .bmp, .png. and .gif files are added to various locations on your computer. According to the developer, these folders are trap folders..."patterns of files, and hidden virtual files that Ransomware cannot resist."...they are deliberately created as part of the tool's functionality and protection. See this topic in regards to Entrapment Protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:13 PM

Oh yes I did, I installed CryptoMonitor that's probably what it is, cause I saw random folders like that earlier but I actually deleted them thinking it was related to the Desktop Backgrounds. Should I reinstall CryptoMonitor so those folders are restored? Could that be the reason for the random files in the Desktop Background list? Actually, come to think of it I've never noticed these files before, so it very well could be after I installed CryptoMonitor. 

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

If you can't restore the files, then I would reinstall CryptoMonitor.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •