Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

printing problem in Linux Mint Mate 17.1

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:56 AM

This is odd- I cannot print anything from a file on my HP officejet 4630. I can print a test page just fine.Is this a driver issue? I just looked up my printer in the supported printers list-and it's not there. But the printer will print a test page perfectly. i was trying to print a transcript of a Conversation I had on BC forum. I moved it to a text editor-Pluma- and then to libre office writer. No luck in either case. It seemed to print color in pluma,but nothing in Libre writer. It is a multi-function printer. print,scan etc.

Edited by paul88ks, 26 May 2015 - 01:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:52 AM

i think i just answered my own question- switched over to my Windows install and it printed perfectly- I can't believe i have gone all this time without testing my printer in Linux - other than a test page- or am I wrong? it's also a wireless printer- if that helps

Edited by paul88ks, 26 May 2015 - 01:55 AM.

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:21 AM

I can print a test page just fine.Is this a driver issue?

Could be. Have you installed a driver for the printer?

I just looked up my printer in the supported printers list-and it's not there.

There should be an option to "add printer" in Printers in System Management.

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

Could be. Have you installed a driver for the printer?

The only driver installed is the one that Mint installed by default. I have the HP software disc- but not sure what another driver would look like in a file to try it out!

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

It's been a while since I added my printer, and it's an Epson, but as I recall I found the driver in a list of drivers that the installer presented me with. The name of the driver is the name of the printer. If it's the same with HP drivers, and there isn't an exact match, then pick the next one down the list. For example if there isn't a driver for the 4630 but there is one for a 4600, then select it.

In the first instance I would click on "Add Printer" in Printers in System Management, and see if you can add your printer. It might even suggest a driver.

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

it did not present me with an option for drivers- I'm going to clean the print head,but I don't think that is going to help- also will check my other Linux installs to see if I get the same result-

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:33 AM

I need to find a printer that will support linux - I checked  the supported printers list but have no way of knowing which ones are old and which ones are new- it doesn't have to be a multi-function printer- if I need to scan things i can always use my windows machine- would prefer color,but black and white would be ok---

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:24 AM

nevermind- problem solved !

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:23 AM

Um, can you fill us in?  I also have an HP c4750 and it is not on the list either but prints and scans fine.  The only issue I have that I know of is that I cannot adjust the "Ink Volume" how dark the ink prints to paper.  You can install from SM "hplip" and get most functions.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:54 AM

Um, can you fill us in?  I also have an HP c4750 and it is not on the list either but prints and scans fine.  The only issue I have that I know of is that I cannot adjust the "Ink Volume" how dark the ink prints to paper.  You can install from SM "hplip" and get most functions.

Well - i wasn't gong to say anything,but after sending a PM to a fellow BC member- I have to "fess up! The problem was simple- as of course it always is- I was out of black ink- however, it took my pearl Linux install on my laptop to find the problem- I had bought replacement ink several weeks ago,and replaced the color cartridge,and knowing that the black cartridge was low - decided to wait until it was gone- Hp notified me of this by pop up menu- but i choose to wait. Then i forgot about it - I'm old you know- but i had the replacement sitting right on top of my computer! Yes - I feel dumb and stupid,so you guys have a good laugh on me - 'cause i know you are- hey - the best answers are always the simplest answers- i thought it was some big tech problem I couldn't solve- just goes to show- I know NO ONE has ever had that happen to them -- anyway- problem solved- DUH! Guess i am back to Computer 101! LOL!

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:09 AM

I know NO ONE has ever had that happen to them 

Count me in, Paul! :thumbup2:

Though I always keep spare inks, I never pay attention to those warning pop-ups, it costs me a total of $11 for set (one 5 color & one B&W cartridge) & I run both until they're totally spent. Sometimes, it'll print up to 15 pages before it finally gives out, then I replace. 

While I have no troubles in printing from the USB share port on the router on Windows, I've tried every trick in the book (CUPS, Gigolo, Samba) to do the same with Linux, and yet it still doesn't want to print. Oddly, I can fire up a virtual machine, connect the printer & all will be fine. Am considering giving Google Cloud Print a chance & see if It'll help my Linux printing issues. 

The next time I need a printer, will be sure to purchase a true wireless printer, these should work just as with Windows. I don't need all of the features, just print an occasional page now & then. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:47 PM

Cat- i have an HP OFFICEJET 4630 that I bought a year ago at Walmart- it is a multifunction printer full wireless capability.I think I paid 100 bucks for it.I have had no problems connecting to the printer for printing or scanning in any of my Linux installs. Except of course when I ran out of ink! LOL!

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:32 AM

Paul, thanks for the feedback! :thumbup2:

While I had read that HP is the most compatible brand of printer for most Linux distros, not too many reports getting this brand. Many will hang onto whatever printer that they had with Windows, some at least 8-10 years old, no Linux support whatsoever & expect these models to just work. Some will, more often, these doesn't. My Kodak 3250 AIO printer will work a bit on 64 bit MInt if plugged directly in, though it worked much better on 32 bit Linux Mint or Ubuntu when I first purchased it, as there was a .deb installer for the drivers & though there were some advanced features it couldn't do, for the most part it met my needs. 

Now that I'm on 64 bit Linux Mint for all installs except one, and have it in a USB share port on my router, purchased for this purpose, so that I didn't have to move a cable from one computer to another, this works well on Windows & have yet to find an answer for Linux. I'm sure it can be done, just haven't found the way yet. 

HP has long been established as the 'go to' brand for Linux users, and maybe it's our group who keeps them in business, they're in most all major retail chain stores, Target as well as Walmart. And not way overpriced, though the inks can be at first, until some generics comes out for the models, this usually takes a couple of years after release of a series. Because that's where HP & other brands makes their profits, not so much on the printer itself, rather the inks & replacement printheads. 

Glad you figured it out it was the ink low! :thumbup2:

That likely happens to all of us at some point, whether or not we want to own up to it. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:05 AM

While I had read that HP is the most compatible brand of printer for most Linux distros, not too many reports getting this brand. Many will hang onto whatever printer that they had with Windows, some at least 8-10 years old, no Linux support whatsoever & expect these models to just work. Some will, more often, these doesn't. My Kodak 3250 AIO printer will work a bit on 64 bit MInt if plugged directly in, though it worked much better on 32 bit Linux Mint or Ubuntu when I first purchased it, as there was a .deb installer for the drivers & though there were some advanced features it couldn't do, for the most part it met my needs. 

I understand- when I switched over to Windows 7,my printer would not work anymore,it was a Lexmark,and they made no effort to supply new drivers for Win 7.Needless to say ,I will never buy another lexmark product again.

At the time,my mother had(has) a very expensive HP Laserjet color printer,which is on my home network(router) and the drivers for it were already in place.I didn't really have to do anything except go to HP and download the new driver for Win 7. After that,of course,I went out and bought an HP printer.It was only a printer copier,at the time that was all I could afford,but it worked,and the printer i have now,is an AIO wireless,and I am very pleased with it.

HP has long been established as the 'go to' brand for Linux users, and maybe it's our group who keeps them in business, they're in most all major retail chain stores, Target as well as Walmart. And not way overpriced, though the inks can be at first, until some generics comes out for the models, this usually takes a couple of years after release of a series. Because that's where HP & other brands makes their profits, not so much on the printer itself, rather the inks & replacement printheads.

And you are right as well about the ink- I do a lot of printing,sheet music etc. so HP has gotten their piece of the cake with me.It is EXPENSIVE.As well,you don't have to ,but if you use non-HP ink cartridges with your HP printer it voids the warranty,I don't know how they know that,but they do.

Mother's Laserjet 1600 is currently out of black ink,and the replacement(any brand) cartridge is nearly 100 dollars.I am probably going to get it for her since she is on a fixed income,and as little as she prints,it will last her a lone time.

I am a little surprised that Kodak does not support Linux fully,since they are a well known Name -Brand! I hope you solve your issue with the wireless,I know you just bought a new Graphics card and SSD.I would hate to see you have to go out and buy another printer as well. Good Luck!!

Edited by paul88ks, 10 June 2015 - 01:15 AM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:32 AM

I am a little surprised that Kodak does not support Linux fully,since they are a well known Name -Brand! 

Actually just a little over a year after my Kodak AIO printer was purchased, the corporation went bankrupt. They're now only largely in the filming industry business, the only consumer related offerings they have is inks & some printing supplies, such a photo paper. At the current time, they replace printheads after a remote diagnosis, but only until their inventory is depleted. 

Otherwise, Kodak is out of the consumer business. The thing about it was, though it was unintentional, they did it to themselves by introducing the digital camera to consumers. They fought to keep the patent longer, yet it did no good, once it ran out, then Fuji & others started producing digital cameras, at very low pricing & Kodak couldn't compete. They weren't going to reduce their standards over a price war, so they held out as long as they could, began pushing printers to keep the corporation alive, to no avail. In the end, to consumers, they were gone. 

As to my purchase of this AIO printer in 2010 to replace my Dell 720 Photo printer that I got brand new on eBay for $5 + $10 shipping, but inks were expensive, while it's been a good one, I bought it because of a flyer in the Sunday newspaper. Exactly a week later, that had another flyer pushing a wireless model for $30 more, had I held out, would have purchased that one. Though on the Amazon site, many complained about the wireless model, mostly frequent disconnects, it was a few months back that I read these reviews. 

So I may have came out best getting what was purchased. Really, I don't print a lot, just when needed. When I make purchases, I click the Print tab, but save these as PDF files in my documents, in a folder labeled Receipts, plus save any email receipts in a folder for this. Should I need to return a product, I'll then print it. 

The bottom line being sometimes a ink cartridge will dry out on me before being empty, though InkSell.com guarantees their inks for three years (except OEM branded ones), so I don't lose either way. 

.As well,you don't have to ,but if you use non-HP ink cartridges with your HP printer it voids the warranty,I don't know how they know that,but they do.

Paul, that's 'scare tactics' designed for consumers to think exactly what you posted. Kodak & others says the same. These third party inks are everywhere, including Walmart, they're certified & manufactured in ISO 9000 certified facilities (ISO 9001 should be in place by the end of 2015) & does not break the warranty of the product, no more than purchasing remanufactured auto parts (or 3rd party oil/air filters) & installing on an auto voids the warranty, unless that component is proven to cause damage that leads to a repair being needed while under warranty. 

I've used both brand name & generic inks, and while quality does vary a bit from one supplier than the other, the place I mentioned above backs their inks (other than OEM branded) by a 3 year warranty, which is 3x longer than the OEM's do & I've never had issues with this supplier. Some others, I have, for the most part, they're as good as the OEM cartridges. 

Just thought I'd let you know that & that the supplier I mentioned is a quality one. 

HP, Kodak & others claims their inks will print X number of pages, that's baloney also. The fine print is assuming if rated for 420 pages, that's continual printing. Not printing one or two pages, shutting down until the next time & stating over. These lasts half that time at best, less with photos, though the rating for pictures is less. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users