Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer (Windows 7) Is suddenly running slow.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hakuryx

Hakuryx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:06 PM

Just today, my computer has been running extremely slow. It was fine yesterday and all week, before that etc... etc..

It runs totally fine is Safe Mode (I'm currently in Safe Mode with networking support) but it's not working at all in Normal Settings. It has only a few second boot time, but once I hit the desktop, Any attempt to open the Start Menu, Start any Application, or even right-click the desktop results in nothing but freezing and the computer freezing up. even Task Manager doesn't do anything.

Please Help! I have no idea why this is happening, I'm usually pretty computer savvy and I can fix my own computer problems, but this one is beyond my scope.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

Does it freeze forever, or is it just super slow (after it freezes, leave it alone for 30 minutes to see if it unfreezes)?

If you're able:

Open up Task Manager (taskmgr.exe) and select the option to view process' for all users (the long button in the lower left of the processes tab)
Then click on the VIew...Select Columns entry - and select I/O Reads and I/O Other

Then sort by the CPU, Memory, I/O Reads, and I/O Other columns - look for the process name of the highest couple in each category.

Let us know them and we'll move on from there.

Another thing to try is this free program:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Use it to disable all non-Windows shell extensions.  Reboot to see if it helps.

If it does, then re-enable ½ at a time and see if you can find the problem one in that way (by ½'s)

Post back with the results and we'll see what else we can do.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Hakuryx

Hakuryx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

Ok so I was able to get into TaskManager. I had to move fast because I get a few seconds of time before it freezes up for about 30-40 minutes.
In order:

CPU:
System Idle Process
taskmgr.exe
the the third one switches between svchost.exe and wmpshare.exe
Everything else below 03

Memory(Working Set):
svchost.exe |101,000K~
explorer.exe|42,500K~
dwm.exe|30,000K~
nvvsc.exe|30,000K~
svchost.exe|30,000K~
Everything else below 30,000K

I/O Reads:
csrss.exe |13,704
svchost.exe(system)|836
taskhost.exe|733
lsass.exe|591
svchost.exe (local service)|577
svchost.exe (network service)|508
explorer.exe|436
System|400~
everything else below 400

I/O other:
svchost.exe (network service)| 58553~
nvstreamsvc.exe (system)|40,500~
nvstreamsvc.exe (system)|28,500~ (There were 2)
NvStreamNetworkService.exe|28,500~
RAVCpl64.exe| 21,200~
svchost.exe (local service)|18,200~
explorer.exe|11,400~
nvSCPAPISvr.exe|10,200~
everything else below 10,000

#4 Hakuryx

Hakuryx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:36 PM

Ok I found out something that strikes me as odd... If I try to open up Google Chrome(I don't use IE) then it takes like 10-15 minutes to start up.

However:

I can open new tabs within the window with no problem

internet speed is fine (speedest.net shows 10ms ping, 125.89mbps Download, and 12.13mbps Upload.)

I can use the browser with almost no problems at all. Youtube videos, Slacker Radio, and Audio Files play just fine.

I'm typing this with my computer in normal settings.

11:33AM (MT)   =======================================================

Windows Update Prompted me to update some stuff (Microsoft Security Essentials)

the MS Sec Essentials booted up and installed (which I'm fine with because I was having problems with my Avast! Installation and had to get rid of it)

Everything there worked fine.

It's currently scanning my computer

11:35AM (MT)=======================================================

Windows Explorer is working now.

Everything seems to be fine...

I'm confused as to why though because I haven't done anything.

Will reboot again to see if the computer freezes again on boot.

#5 Hakuryx

Hakuryx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

12:41AM (MT) I waited for Windows Security Essentials to finish the scan, then Shutdown for a few minutes. When I restarted, It took approx. 1:30 for everything to start up.

A bit of a long boot time, but it's definitely working now. I changed the Windows Aero Theme to Windows 7 Basic, it seems to have helped. For some reason my computer works perfectly fine now. o.o

I don't know what happened or why, but I'm not sure if I want to question it too much XD

The computer seems fine now.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:51 AM

If you have more than one antivirus running, that can cause problems. This incluedes Microsoft Security Essentials

Also, if you have more than one firewall (to include Internet Security applications), that can also cause problems

Uninstall all but one.

If you don't need it, here's an article that tells how to disable the wmpshare.exe service:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/wmpshareexe32-slows-my-system-down-how-do-i-keep/dd5a33d5-7b59-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

The Task Manager data doesn't show anything unusual IMO.

I see that sort of pattern at work when Windows Updates are running

There is more nVidia stuff running than I'm used to seeing - but I mostly work on laptops without the other graphics card being enabled at work.

Try updating your nVidia video drivers - from http://www.nvidia.com if it's a Desktop, and from the PC manufacturer's site if it's a laptop.

Beyond that, post back if it starts happening again.  I'll get an email each time that you reply to this topic.
Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users