Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No USB devices work, not har

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kev6987

kev6987

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

Everything was working fine with my Win7 computer until a couple of days ago, when my USB mouse stopped working. It seems to be related to two "Unknown device" devices that show up in Device Manager. I've tried deleting them, but they come back, because when I delete them and all the other USB devices (root hub, etc.), things get re-detected after reboot, and the mouse has power and works briefly, until those two devices get detected. after which it stops working.

I've tried deleting all unused device drivers, and also tried deleting all USB devices. I removed my video card and went back to onboard video just in case, with no improvement. I've also tried looking for the USB Upper and Lower Filter values in the registry, but they aren't present to begin with. Someone also said to try deleting INFCACHE.1 to let it rebuild, but that didn't help either.

There is no USB hub, the mouse is plugged directly into the back of the motherboard. It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, because the USB mouse works fine when I boot into a Mini-XP environment from DVD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:35 PM

On the Unknown Devices right click and select Properties. Under the details tab select HardwareIDs in the dropdown box. Post the first line for each Unknown Device.

Edit: Have you tried a System Restore to a date before the issue began?

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 May 2015 - 08:40 PM.

#3 kev6987

kev6987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

USB\VID_8087&PID_0024&REV_0000

Both devices show the same line.

I have not yet tried system restore.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:41 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? The device is a Generic USB Hub.

#5 kev6987

kev6987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:56 PM

Home-built, the motherboard is a Biostar B75MU3+

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:04 PM

Go here and download/install the Chipset and USB 3.0 controller driver. You may want to do a System Restore first. If that fails then install the drivers.

#7 kev6987

kev6987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:16 AM

I was kind of leery of using system restore - I've never had it work well for me in the past.

FYI I was able to get it working again. I found a post from someone who was missing usb.inf and usb.pnf in C:\Windows\INF, and that was the case with mine as well. It said to look in C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log to determine which usb.inf to copy over, and I also copied the usb.pnf from the same place. I removed the unknown devices and rebooted, and everything worked after that. Thanks for your help.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

Nice Troubleshooting. Thanks for taking the time to post back the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users