Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MoBo or SSD failure? Reboot successful only with fixmbr cmd.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Initiate

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

Hello,

I am running a Samsung Pro 256 GB SSD and I've been experiencing BSODs and boot failures ever since I installed an HDD into my custom rig. The BIOS never recognized the HDD but I had been running the SSD just fine for at least 6 months prior to HDD installation. That is another problem in itself though. 

In order to install the HDD I had to remove the drive bay along with the SSD (perhaps static electricity is the culprit?). The problem first made itself apparent by a failure to install any programs followed by crashing of all processes including explorer.exe. This kept on occurring and was occasionally accompanied by BSODs. This became more frequent over time. 

I ran a chkdsk and it found bad sectors. Boot up was normal and I was able to install programs. But now every time I shutdown the rig, a blinking cursor will appear with a black background. I run a Windows 7 install disk and run the bootrec.exe/fixmbr command. I tried to run system repair but an error explaining that this version is not compatible with my version of Windows (they are both Windows 7 Ultimate. Usually, the comp boots up just fine. I am now sometimes experiencing BSODs after this temp fix.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. 

Thanks,

Paul

Windows OS Version: Win 7 Ultimate

SSD: Samsung 256 GB Pro

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 750 GB

Processor: AMD FX 8320 3.5 GHz 8-Core

MoBo: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G-Skill Sniper 4 GB x2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

The problems that you describe started with the Seagate HDD being installed.  Try removing it (temporarily) and see if that helps.
Another thing to try is a hard drive diagnostic.  See this page for a link to the Seatools bootable diagnostic:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2015 - 01:46 PM.
Typo - hamluis.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Initiate

Initiate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

The HDD was removed weeks ago after I was unable to successfully install it. The bios detected the HDD the first time I installed it, and I was able to initialize the disk with the Seagate Disk Wizard. However, the disk disappearwd from then on. I have installed the disk in a different PC and confirmed that it is a working disk. I do not think the issue has to do with the HDD.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:28 AM

Have you tested the disk with diagnostics in order to see if it has any problems (even though it seems to be working properly)?

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Initiate

Initiate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

As of right now, I cannot access my OS as the drive keeps disappearing from BIOS. Fml

#6 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

Well, there's not much else to try here.  It's most likely either the hard drive or the motherboard (although the SSD is a possibility).

Try testing the hard drive on another computer.

See if you can access the hard drive (maybe with a bootable disk) with the SSD removed

Beyond that, I'd suspect the hard drive - but this isn't a solid diagnosis (so don't go replacing the mobo on my say-so).

Good luck!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

You can try using SeaTools for DOS to diagnose the drive fitness.  This tool utilizes a bootable .iso file (which can be burned to CD/DVD and then used to run the long/extended generic diagnostic (which should apply to any hard drive, regardless of manufacturer).

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

SeaTools For DOS and AHCI - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/313457-seatools-dos-windows-how-use.html

IMO, if the drive cannot be detected by this utility, the problem is clearly the drive.  Please...read the informational links above...before trying to run the diagnostic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users