Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games minimizing to desktop twice every few hours

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RieFairy

RieFairy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

I've been having this problem for several months now. I'll be playing a game, and suddenly, it will minimize to the desktop. I can easily get back into it by clicking on the icon and continue playing, but about half a minute to a minute later, it will minimize again. Luckily, after getting back into the game again, it will not happen for several hours. But then the cycle repeats. 

After googling this, I found the Event Viewer on my computer, and the next time I happened, I immediately opened it up to look and see what was causing this. Apparently, according to Event Viewer, the culprit is RestartManager, ID 10001. I made sure I had no Windows Updates pending, and even restarted several times to try and resolve this, but the problem persists. All I have otherwise running in the background is Eset and Geforce Experience, and neither had ever been an issue ever.

So I'm hoping someone can maybe help me resolve this, because it's quite annoying, especially during raid night on FF14 when I'm trying to heal or when I'm playing a game that isn't exactly merciful if it should suddenly minimize.

Please ask if you want logs or anything, but be aware you may have to give me directions on how to do so. :P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

Check your temperatures, you can down load SpeedFan on this page   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/page/10/?sort=pn

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 RieFairy

RieFairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

So I did finally use SpeedFan a bit, just to test temperatures. The results are thus.

Upon first starting up my computer and starting SpeedFan, these were the temperatures:

e6vcph.png

After starting a game and playing, I waited for it the minimize to the desktop. When it did, this was the result:

iwlrv6.png

Clearly that's a large jump in temperature, so the next step would be to adjust the fans? How would I go about doing that? Or is there another step other than that?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:45 PM

Do you have case fans?  If not I would installing one.

#5 RieFairy

RieFairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

Yes I do have fans in my case as far as I know based on looking at SpeedFan and other hardware wizards, I just don't think they're set to run faster or slower when my computer gets hotter like they should be to adjust to the temperatures. Never figured out how to do that.

Edited by RieFairy, 31 May 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

Go into your bios, should be a section for the fans.

#7 RieFairy

RieFairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:20 PM

Unable to get that far in. Computer freezes up once I hit enter to try and go into the control section for my fans and stuff. It's the weirdest thing.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:26 AM

Look at your MB specs if it is a late board it will have fan speed settings in the bios not control panel, I have never seen a sytem shut down when accessing the bios.  I have a 3 year old Gigabyte board it has full fan control. 

#9 RieFairy

RieFairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

I can get into the bios okay, and I clearly see the section that controls the fans. But when I try to enter it, the computer just locks up and freezes when I press Enter on the Fans section.

But I did look up my motherboard specs just in case...

The model is an Intel DX79SI. I've tried a few more times with the bios, but it still hangs there. I don't really know what else I could do other than update the bios, and from what I've heard that's generally not a thing you want to do because it could prove to be unstable.

I'd rather have my system fans turned on and regulating this than trying to understand SpeedFan, and I've puzzled over it for several days now, even reading a few articles on it, and maybe I'm just not understanding it right but I don't know how fast would be too fast for the fans to be going, etc. But if I can't even get into my bios to properly adjust my fans, I may have to figure out how to work it.

It's very puzzling how my computer just locks up and freezes when I try to enter the fan menu proper in bios...All that'd really be left to do other than a bios update would be to try again and just let it sit there for a long while and see if it unfreezes any time soon.

Edited by RieFairy, 02 June 2015 - 02:08 PM.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:34 PM

Hit the over clocker boards, I would also try blogs for your MB.  Also try poking through the links below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=intel+dx79si+bios&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=overclocking&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

#11 RieFairy

RieFairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:00 PM

I've never wanted to overclock my computer personally, but maybe the boards could have an answer about the freezing...

Where can I find the boards in question?

Edited by RieFairy, 02 June 2015 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users