Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with Medialink Router -- but not with the modem.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 antblazer

antblazer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

Hi All, 

I had a sudden lapse in service from Cox last night. Since then, my router has been acting funny, even after several resets of my modem from Cox. The over-the-phone support was of course useless, about 20 minutes in to their automated "troubleshooting" and I had gotten as far as power cycling my modem and computer. 

ISP rant aside, what could have possibly happened to my router during this lapse in service? Or, could my router have somehow interfered with my modem? The lapse in service was precisely coincident with my router's failing. After resetting service, I'm connected fine from the modem, but the router will not connect to the internet. 

I've powercycled the router, reset to factory settings, etc, but no luck. Any clues? 

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 for troubleshooting, but I have a windows build also available if that helps. 

Thanks,

B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:43 PM

Have you surfed in to look at the WAN settings on the router? Do you know if you have to clone the PC's MAC address? Some companies set you up with a modem and then link it to the PC they use in setting up. So what you have to do is surf into the router and clone your MAC address so the modem thinks your router is the PC.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 25 May 2015 - 05:48 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 antblazer

antblazer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

This fixed it! For now, at least :) 

You're one helpful person, CaveDweller2. 

Just to recap for anyone else: I had a service disruption, thought it was the router, so I reset it. In resetting the router, the MAC apparently went to default. I cloned the MAC (it was literally a button on my router that said, "Clone Mac address." That fixed it for now. 

Thanks!

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:44 PM

Glad it was an easy fix. Hope it stays fixed. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users