Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked into 10074

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ThornRage

ThornRage

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

Have been building my own computers since 2004. I used to build a new one every year and give away my replaced one to either my kids or my parents. However in 2010 I built one with top of the line hardware and haven't had to build a new one until this year. The only reason I built a new one was because my son's computer which was 7 years old could not run a certain game.

This time around I went with SSD. When I first started up my new computer, it was turn on in a matter of seconds.

I then upgraded via a download from Microsoft to Windows 10. It was update 10041. The start menu did not work. I chalked it up to a bad version and figured the next one would fix it.

Soon after, when I restarted my computer, it took longer than a few seconds. Sometimes up to 15 or 20 mins. So I downloaded and installed Windows 10 10074.

Again the start menu did not work and I could not upgrade using Windows Update. I could right-click on start and select run and then would type wuapp. It would not come up until a minute later and then close out. It does that still.

Now at times when I click on any program on my task bar, it takes time before it starts. Using the Windows Key+E will take several minutes to work.

Right-clicking on my recycle bin takes 10 minutes or more.

I sometimes pull up the Task Manager to restart explorer because I get tired of waiting. Sometimes Task Manager does not want to open and I eventually have to close it out.

If I want to open explorer, the best way for me to do it is to click on a folder on my desktop.

I decided I wanted to download the 10122 version of windows 10 as an iso and burn the image and make a new install instead of an update. It errors out after the image is burned. The files are on the disc, but when I click on the disc it will not do anything.

I inserted my windows 8 disc I made last year so I could install that and then upgrade through Windows Update and it would go through the whole setup but when it was time to restart, it never restarted. After 30 minutes I had to manually restart and when the computer finally came back on, it said Windows 8 failed to install and my computer was returned to how it was before the setup. 

I have watched 3 movies today as I waited restarts and such.

So I cannot go back to 8 to try to re-install 10 and I cannot upgrade to version 10122.

I have never in my life had problems like this on any of my computers. Have always prided myself on getting things worked out on my own or through research.

This isn't a business computer or one that has highly sensitive stuff on it. All my valuable stuff is always backed up. Because it is mainly a computer for hobby, I am willing to test Windows 10. I always been the first of those I know who try the new operating system. I usually can work around the initial bugs and then let friends know when it is a good time to upgrade. Only 1 operating system was ever removed and never returned to, that was Windows ME.

So I am willing to try whatever I need to get my computer back. I will even try to install my Windows 7 Ultimate but I fear the restarting problem I have will result in nothing.

Here are my specs if it helps:

Windows 10 Pro Insider (10074)

3 - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor 
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX
EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX PCIE Gaming Sound Card System Builder Version SB1502 70SB150200000
LG Internal UH12NS30 BD-ROM Blu-ray Optical Drive
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1 120-G1-1000-VR 1000W ATX12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

What else do you need from me?

Edited by ThornRage, 25 May 2015 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users