Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice needed on which security best to install on new laptop, please?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 librarylottie

librarylottie

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

Hi

My daughter has just given me an Acer Aspire E 15 which comes with Windows 8.1 as I have not been happy with the security or speed of my desktop pc which has Windows XP but is so old as not to be compatible with Windows 7 or 8.(See previous confused posts under XP forum)

I have set up but said no to the MacAfee it wants to load - but have not installed Avast Free which is what I have on my desktop pc.
I haven't transferred everything over as I have MS Office 10 installed under an agreement with my employer - our local council library - which I need to know the authorisation code etc but don't have it here at home but cannot access my work emails as new security is being added by the council and I shall have to wait until I am well enough to return to work and can log in to my email via a council networked pc! Phew - all very annoying as I have just come home from hospital and don't know when I'll b returning as yet.

Meanwhile I should like to start using this new laptop so would welcome your advice.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

Hi there,

Here is some information about the topic from our Global Moderator quietman7.

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:

Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:Here are links to polls about this very subject:
That said, do you have any particular preference or requirements (free or paid, lightweight, user friendly etc.)?

Regards,
Alex

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

Why not use Windows Defender on Windows 8 which integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection? Although it uses the same name it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows Defender 8 provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates.Since Windows 8 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled and then Windows 8 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus you may receive a message indicated your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, you will need to manually turn it on.If you want to use another anti-virus then you need to disable Windows 8 Defender before installing a different antivirus software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:07 PM

BTW...the correct way to remove McAfee is through its program folder via Start > All Programs or by Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, reboot when done, and then run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR).Note: Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes in Task Manager) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

#5 themnkidd

themnkidd

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:40 AM

Try using panda free edition with malwarebytes free edition it's a combo i use and like."

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:29 AM

Panda uses real-time scanning-from-the-cloud.

In simple terms, Cloud computer refers to having programs and data reside on an outside network device instead of permanently on your local hard drive. In theory it turns your browser into a flexible smart terminal and the main program you execute. The program you run and data you store is somewhere else on the planet similar to the old concept of a main frame.

What on Earth is “Cloud” Computing

#7 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

Hi All

I'm back on my desktop currently and haven't had time to do anything on the laptop so far today - but there was a message to say that McAfee would be up to date after I restarted my computer - so I guess it has installed itself. :(

I had looked at all your advice quietman7 but was getting my self confused by going backwards and forwards on all the different links. I don't want to use McAfee and would prefer to use a straightforward product that will protect me whilst online banking, on Facebook and general browsing. I also want to be able to access google+ as I follow crochet and knitting blogs on there. My husband says he was told that this was a security threat in itself - but I don't know if that's correct. On this pc I also have Last Pass, Ghostery - though I'm uncertain sometimes which "beacons" etc to block, Avast Free edition and WOT and we are using Chrome as the main browser.

I know this is going off topic but I would also like to change the browser from IE to Google Chrome once I'm protected - or is that something to do first?

(Sorry for sounding so dumb but I've never used a laptop and it's taking me all my time to getting used to not having a mouse!!) :blink:

I have to go out now for a couple of hours but will check back again after.

Thank you all for your patience  :)

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:09 AM

Just remove McAfee using the links I provided in Post #4. If you already have avast installed on the same machine, you should not be using two anti-virus programs anyway. Just remember this means you cannot use Windows Defender 8 which includes anti-virus and anti-malware protection as long as another antivrus program is installed.

You can download and install an alternate browser (Chrome, Firefox) at any time and set it as your default.

(Sorry for sounding so dumb but I've never used a laptop and it's taking me all my time to getting used to not having a mouse!!)

They are not dumb questions so don't worry about asking them. As for the laptop and the touchpad...you can buy yourself a small portable usb mouse and use that. I don't like touchpads myself so I always carry a portable mouse with me.

#9 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

Hey, the well-established members I am sure have given out excellent advice here, but from a mere novices standpoint, Avast free edition has been brilliant for me - used in conjunction with Windows firewall. Zero Infections and rock solid for me.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

I'm sure your practice safe computing as well which is more important than your security software.

#11 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:48 AM

Help! I started my laptop in Safe mode as suggested at #4 but once I'd logged in my cursor disappeared??

I tried using the touchpad both clicking and double clicking corners and also simply moving my finger over the pad but couldn't find a cursor at all - neither could I seem to find any other way.

I then got a message saying my computer was not protected and that I needed to log into McAfee to ensure it was properly installed - again - I couldn't click at all.

In the end I simply held the power key to close down - but don't know if it's ok to reboot now and try again - or whether I'll still be in safe mode or not?

#12 themnkidd

themnkidd

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

Try rebooting it should boot into normal mode,then check for the cursor and with some luck it should be there."

#13 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

Try rebooting it should boot into normal mode,then check for the cursor and with some luck it should be there."

Unfortunately not - but Alex is back online and has replied to my plea for help on the original forum topic - so fingers crossed!

Thank you for your suggestion though  :)

#14 themnkidd

themnkidd

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

Do you have a restore disk for yor laptop you may need to reformat.

#15 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

Nope - afraid not - it's brand new and I haven't even downloaded the user manual yet!

My wn fault for thinking I could manage on my own. 

My husband just on his way home so he might be able to help as he's a bit more laptop savvy than I am.

My daughter will be furious if it's something I've done  :notme:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users