Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DEL Key don't work need to enter BIOS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skulldrinker

skulldrinker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

DEL Key don't work need to enter BIOS to change boot order. Laptop will not boot from DVD. Is there any other way to change the boot order?  Maybe dos?  I have an old Alienware Laptop Aurora 9700.  Number Lock key will not work also.

PS the del key doesn't work at all neither in writing a text doc. I guess it is dead.

Edited by skulldrinker, 25 May 2015 - 12:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:39 PM

Can you borrow another key board?

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:02 PM

To amplify OldPhil's reply, the specs I found for this laptop say it has 4 USB sockets. You could try plugging in a USB keyboard and that should allow you to get into your BIOS.

With a laptop of this age it would probably not be worth replacing its own keyboard, even if you could find one, but wired USB keyboards are cheap.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

A few things.  How do you know the DEL key doesn't work?

Are you sure you need DEL and not another key?  Since Dell bought Alienware I don't know if they didn't change the BIOS key to the Dell F2.

As others have suggest an external USB keyboard should allow you to press whatever key you need.

#5 skulldrinker

skulldrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. The startup screen says to hit DEL to enter set up. And How I know is I opened up notepad and tried to use the del key on some text and it does not work. I can't use the del key on the number pad because the number lock is stuck on.  I have thought of the usb keyboard idea but I thought it wouldn't work but since you guys say it might I will try it.   

#6 skulldrinker

skulldrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:32 PM

This all came about when I got this laptop and the sound will not work. The previous person put Win 7 on it. It came with XP Pro. I can not find drivers to get the sound to work, So I was going to reinstall XP just to confirm the sound will work and  then I can blame the Win 7.  But I was not able to use the DVD drive to boot.  I went out and bought a USB sound card and it works but only with external speakers. Good enough if this is as far as I get.

#7 skulldrinker

skulldrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:58 PM

with the usb keyboard I discovered it was the F11 to enter the boot menu.  I guess that key wasn't working either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users