Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some USB ports not detecting devices + Duplicate devices showing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Soldja

Soldja

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

A little background info:

• I had a friend of mine build this PC for me a few days ago, its custom. 
  • This is the motherboard I bought (new): Z-97A
  • I did a lot of upgrades so we had to do a custom install, I chose the default location to the same drive as my original W7 OS was on.
  • I installed all the drivers that came with the motherboard and all windows updates.
  • Even if they are not recognized the devices still get power (like my phone will charge but the PC doesnt know what it is or even see it as unknown)
  • While gaming 2 nights ago one of my presumed dead USB ports that didnt read my Sennheiser headsets randomly began to read it & automatically installed drivers for it after I was initially unable to get it to detect before. So it just kinda came "alive" on its own you could say

I've attached screenshots of my devices and printers and device manager

Attached File  Control Panel.JPG   74.98KB   0 downloadsAttached File  devman.JPG   54.09KB   0 downloads

4 weird things about the devices and printers list:

1. You will see in devices and printers it says I have 3 Keyboards, I only have the one on the far left.
  2. I Only have 1 Playstation controller
  3. When my Sennheisers were detected I immediately installed the drivers for them from their website but now it shows up as "Unspecified". Before my reinstall of windows I am pretty sure it listed in the devices category with a picture of the headset.
  4. The JAYUP-PC is my computer name of my current and previous PC, not sure why it shows up in device manager at all. It says its an ASUS device and is unrecognized when trying to have windows identify it or assign drivers to it. Its kinda weird.

There are dead ports on the front and back. I am more concerned with the USB devices not being detected rather than duplicate/weird entries but I am thinking they may have something to do with one another. Would greatly appreciate any help from you tech gurus out there before I spend a fortune at a tech shop.

Sorry if this was too long, just wanted to give as much info as I could to help you guys in helping me and all. 

Thanks!

Edited by Soldja, 25 May 2015 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:12 PM

FWIW:  Duplicate devices may appear...if one device is used to install...and a different one is used later, IME.

The ximple way to remove any apparent dupes...is to delete them via Device Manager (including the use currently installed)...then reboot and reinstall the drivers if they are not automatically reinstalled by Windows.

Device Manager typically reflects such items on a given system, see Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/TroubleShooting/RemoveUnusedDriversandDevices.html .

I have no answer for your USB questions, it appears that the right drivers are installed.  You might take a look at

USB port may stop working after removing or inserting USB device - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900/en-us USB Problems, MS FixIt - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

Louis

#3 Soldja

Soldja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

Thanks Louis,

I am at work now but I will read the articles and try to apply their recommendations when I get home.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

:thumbup2: , I'll be around :).

Louis

#5 Soldja

Soldja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

So I had some time to mess with everything. The articles basically stated its best to uninstall all the USB ports and reinstall. This was tricky due to my mouse being USB and somehow uninstalling unrelated ports caused the mouse to stop responding. But

Anyways, I basically got to the point after rebooting where all my USB ports in the back are working and half on the front are working. The interest part is all the working ports are 3.0 USBs and the 2 that are not working are 2.0. I tried putting a USB in to the 2.0 ports and they got nothing. But I can put them in to the 3.0 USBs and they work fine.

Gonna do more personal digging but just wanted to give an update and see if maybe this strikes you or anyone else as odd.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:46 PM

I don't know anything about USB 3.0...but the drivers for those ports are supposed to be backward compatible...they should work with all ports.

I would go into Device Manager...uninstall the drivers under USB which state "Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller...then reboot.  Those drivers should reinstall automatically.  Do not remove any of the other devices listed under USB in Device Manager.

See if there is any change.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users