Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

convert .csv to .pst? anyone?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jerrymck

jerrymck

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hey everyone,

I accidentally saved the contents of a mail folder from outlook 2003 as a .csv file, and I really need those emails to be loaded into my new outlook 2010 application.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

-Jerry

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

Hello jerrymck,

It might be possible to do that. myrti has pointed me to this article: http://helpdeskgeek.com/office-tips/importing-emails-to-outlook-from-a-csv-file/ which explains how to import your mail in Outlook from a cvs file. Please note that the article was written a few years ago and so an earlier version of Outlook was discussed, but it may also work with the newer version. Please let us know if it works out for you.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

Awesome. Well, it worked for one CSV file, but for the other, I get an error message. the error states : A file error has occured in comma seperated values translator while initiating a translator"
it goes on telling me to make sure i have correct permissions and to make sure the file is not open elsewhere in another program. Any tips for that error?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 May 2015 - 01:17 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote. ~ OB

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

Hello there,

After doing some research, I have a couple of ideas.

1) Reboot the machine, then try to import the file again. That way, if any other program has a hold on the file, the hold will be released with the reboot.

2) Make sure the file isn't set to "read only"

3) Open the file in another application such as Excel. Once open, choose Save As, and save it as a new file. Close Excel, then try to import the newly saved file.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

We read the same article i'm sure. I tried all of those. it no worky

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 May 2015 - 12:15 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote. ~ OB

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

Hi

One or two other thoughts,

1.Try doing it in Safe mode, just in case.

2. try copying the file to make sure it is OK.

3. check the file size, It may not be all there.

4. Try and see if there is a deleted copy of the file that can be recovered with http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users