Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i dual run kali linux with windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:52 AM

Hi, I am Tom. This is my first post on bleeping computer. I have been dual running Ubuntu with windows 8 but i prefer kali, as i have a small netbook in which i used it, but due to the fact that it was a netbook, i could not get too much done. I wanted to put it on this computer as it is a lot better than that netbook. I don't think i need to share any details about it XD. So every time i try to put it in a different partition in the hard drive it says it has to wipe the whole thing. Any help?

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:28 AM

It should be the same process as having Ubuntu dual booted with Windows. Here is the Kali doc on dual booting it.

That guide tells you to use the "guided" installation scheme, but I always prefer doing the "manual" installation setup. This allows you to better choose how you want to set up your installation. If you have multiple partitions just put Kali on the blank one and let the installer do the rest. It should install the grub boot menu at the end and find your Windows installation.

Hope that helps you out.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

Ah, after reading your post again I believe I understand where your trouble is. Yes when you install Linux onto any partition it is going to ask you to wipe that partition. That is perfectly fine. It doesn't mean it is going to wipe your entire hard drive (as long as you have selected only one partition to install it on and not the entire drive). This is standard when doing any OS installation. Just double check you are installing it on the non windows partition, and are not installing it on the entire drive and you will be okay. Of course I would back up any important items on Windows just in case something goes wrong.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 Fu3kingT3pe

Fu3kingT3pe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

hello my friend so how me understand u wanna dual boot kali and win

here u go like me doing it....

first install windows and leave space for second os

example: 250gb 50/50 = 125 each

after installin windows insntall kali and choise marked as RED

dual-boot-kali-09.png

install grub and u good to go ...

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

You might want to download a Gparted"LIVE" DVD and partition your drive with that,or you can use Windows to create the 2nd partition.Seeing as you are only doing one dual boot-Win/Linux Windows ,the windows bootloader will see the 2nd OS. If you want more than 2,you will have to use Gparted.

#6 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

Ah, after reading your post again I believe I understand where your trouble is. Yes when you install Linux onto any partition it is going to ask you to wipe that partition. That is perfectly fine. It doesn't mean it is going to wipe your entire hard drive (as long as you have selected only one partition to install it on and not the entire drive). This is standard when doing any OS installation. Just double check you are installing it on the non windows partition, and are not installing it on the entire drive and you will be okay. Of course I would back up any important items on Windows just in case something goes wrong.

Thanks, i misread it XD.

hello my friend so how me understand u wanna dual boot kali and win

here u go like me doing it....

first install windows and leave space for second os

example: 250gb 50/50 = 125 each

after installin windows insntall kali and choise marked as RED

dual-boot-kali-09.png

install grub and u good to go ...

Thanks, this helped

Thx, i misread it XD.

ooh, i have a signature

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:49 PM

Before partitioning it is always a good idea to defragment Windows first, Then create a backup of your Windows system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users