Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open JPEG or PSD files !?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beungeut

Beungeut

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

I've been working on a design in Photoshop CS6. Then, tomorrow after that, suddenly i can't open any PSD or JPEG files, either with photoshop or any image viewer. All of my past psds/jpegs seems to have been corrupted, even the default Windows 7 wallpaper.

But, i can create a new psd/jpeg file with photoshop and they're perfectly fine.

Is this the work of some kind of virus? If there is anyone that could fix this, i would really appreciate that. Thank you very much.

Note : I have tried retrieving some psds and jpegs with recovery tools, and they fix nothing.

Also, PNG and PDF works fine prior and after. I am very confused... 

Specs (why not) :

- ASUS K43SM

- Windows 7 Home Basic SP1 64-bit

- Intel Core i5-2450m 2.50ghz

- 4GB RAM

- Nvidia GeForce GT630m

TL;DR

Problems & Behaviours :

- Can't open any jpeg and psd made prior to the incident, even AI files doesn't work.

- They can't be opened by photoshop or any image viewer/editor.

- So far png, pdf, gif, icons works perfectly fine, dunno why

- All of my jpegs/psds seems to have been modified by "something" at the same day and the same interval time, it shows in "date modified" properties

- After i restart the laptop, i'm still able to open the new psds/jpegs i created after the incident

- Jpegs and psds in zips/rars are completely safe.

- No virus popups like in cryptorbit-lock virus

What i've tried so far :

- Restarting my laptop (ofcourse)

- Lots of Recovery Tools, don't work

- Scan with Microsoft's AntiVirus, found nothing

- Opening in Safe Mode

- Opening in illustrator and other programs, nope

- Tried Googling, found nothing

- Mourn and rage for the lost portfolio

- Even opening my files in wordpad, why not? lol

- I have no system restore.

- Unhide the extensions and hidden files, nothing's wrong

- TESTED in another computers and laptops, the file's are still corrupted. I guess i have to let go of them, but i'm afraid that it will occur again.

Evidences :

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-3.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

Kind of scary, but very interesting..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

I would take a look at the file association...maybe just even create a new one for the types of files mentioned.

Anytime an error mentions "corruption"...first thing I think of is reinstalling the program and running the chkdsk /r command...to be followed (possibly) by running the sfc /scannow command.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

When you said you had no System Restore do you mean you disabled it? If your right click one of your jpg files and select Properties are there any dates under the Previous Version tab?

#4 Beungeut

Beungeut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:36 PM

I would take a look at the file association...maybe just even create a new one for the types of files mentioned.

Anytime an error mentions "corruption"...first thing I think of is reinstalling the program and running the chkdsk /r command...to be followed (possibly) by running the sfc /scannow command.

Louis

i've tried messing with file association and extension, but still no luck

I think the corruption isn't because of the program. I tried opening my jpeg from 2012 and they are corrupted, even in another computer. Maybe it's a faulty in the system or hardware. Thanks for the suggestion though.

When you said you had no System Restore do you mean you disabled it? If your right click one of your jpg files and select Properties are there any dates under the Previous Version tab?

There is a system restore date, but it is far in 2012 and it would erase all my files. 

I have checked and there is no dates under the previous version tab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users