Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI Motherboard won't let me boot into my DVD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 U3 PLUS

I set my BIOS back to default. I put my DVD ATAPI as boot #1 and my OS Drive as boot #2. I save and reboot. It doesn’t work so I go back into the BIOS and it changes my DVD APAPI to CD/DVD and my DVD APAPI is no longer on the 1-13 boot items. I also went into “save changes and reboot” and went to “change setting info” and my DVD is disabled and is not set to first boot and there is no place to change it. The boot disk I’m using works fine on other computers and I also tried another DVD drive but the BIOS will not let me boot into my DVD? Also on reboot I hit F11 and my DVD is not on the boot menu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

Doing the following will let me know who the BIOS manufacturer is and what version it is.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

Hello, first off a link for downloading a user manual for this computer system: http://us.msi.com/support/mb/Z97_U3_PLUS.html#down-manual

Your optical drive is a SATA drive.

If the drive is not being recognized in BIOS, it could be caused by a faulty electrical connection.

This will require you to open your computer case, so be sure to power the computer off before hand.

I want you to exercise extreme caution to prevent static electrical discharge damage by placing one hand on the metal chassis of the computer case while you conduct the follow procedure.

Locate the optical drive and pay attention to the wires connected to it.

One wire will be thinner and narrower than the other, this should be the data cable, the other end should go to the motherboard.

Disconnect the end on the optical drive and plug it back in again.

Locate the other end of that same cable which should be on the motherboard, and unplug it. Plug it back into the same slot for now.

Next, locate the other wire going to the drive, this should be the power cable coming from the PSU. Unplug it and plug it back in again.

Return power to the computer system and boot it up again.

Go back into the BIOS again and see if the drive is being recognized by the BIOS and can be chosen as the first boot device.

If not, power the computer off and relocate the SATA cable on the motherboard to another SATA port and try again.

Let me know the outcome one way or another.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

Thank you Bruce for the Motherboard manual. The BOIS does recognize my DVD however it will not hold it in the BIOS as the #1 boot, therefore I can't boot to it. 

BIOS

Brand: American Megetrends Inc.

Ver. V1.4

9/19/14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users