Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't do a ‘System Restore’ OR get System Restore Point?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dazza

Dazza

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:22 AM

Hi All, I Cannot do a ‘System Restore’ OR Create a System Restore Point? Something must have Happened During the Last "Problem" I had when I tried to Uninstall “Comodo” Backup?

I only just realised that their has been no Restore Point Since that Date so I tred to Create a New one and No Go" so only Restore Point left is “Deleted Comodo dd.mm.yy”. It was when I Deleted Comodo’ that I got into Strife Last Time (see my Last Thread)

I have Included a Screen Shot of the Error Thanks In Ant - Regards Dazza :)

Attached Files

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

Windows 10, Weston 1000 T-byte HDD - Partitions -  G, -  H, - I, - J 

CCleaner, Kaspersky (Full Version) MWMByts Weekly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

With you computer offline, temporarily disable you antivirus and try to do a System Restore again.

If this doesn't work enable the antivirus and then do the following.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Part A

(1)  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Part B

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Part C

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted try doing a System Restore.

When you a finished go back to System Configuration and click on the General, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:52 AM

Thanks DC3 I did all that But to no Advantage Both times I received the Same “errors” Restore Failed? I did as you asked But the only way I could find to stop Kaspersky was to Go to GUI and set it to turn off for for one Hour I tried to turn it of in Task Manager but it would not? Cheers Dazza

Attached Files

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

#4 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

Thanks DC3 I did all that But to no Advantage Both times I received the Same “errors” Restore Failed? I did as you asked But the only way I could find to stop Kaspersky was to Go to GUI and set it to turn off for for one Hour I tried to turn it of in Task Manager but it would not? Cheers Dazza

Hello DC3 Anyone .... :clapping: What can do now is someone else going to Respond Should I Close this Thread and start Again Can Someone Advise me Please

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:00 AM

Hi there,

Let's see if this works.

- Start the computer and press F8 on boot up and select 'Safe Mode without networking'.

- In the start menu type 'cmd' (without quotes) and on the top search result right-click the program and choose 'Run as administrator'

- Type "net stop winmgmt" without quotes and press enter to make sure the WindowsManagementInstrumentation (WMI) service is not running.

- In the start menu click 'computer' on the right hand side. Go to the windows\system32\WBEM\ folder and rename the Repository folder to something else like OLDRepository (right click and choose 'Rename Folder'.

- Reboot and restart as normal.

- In the start menu type 'cmd' (without quotes) and at the top right click the program and choose 'Run as administrator'

- Type 'net stop winmgmt' (without quotes) and press enter to stop the wmi service.

- Type 'winmgmt /resetRepository' (without quotes)and restart the system.

Let me know how it goes.

Alex

#6 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:38 PM

Hi Alex Thanks for your Help, But its still the Same I could not do the 'Safe Mode' I Tried F8, F10, F12 and Nothing works just Reboots straight back to the Desktop??

I have had a Terrible time with this PC from the first time I started it out of the Box the First time I tried to start it Locked Me Out, had to Reinstall Win every time (5 Times Now) and the F Button thing happens every time the Last time after 3 Days I was told to hold F12 Down and hold it down BEFORE I Pressed the Start Button - Worked that time -  Not this (3) Time?

So i will await your Reply Regards Dazza :smash: :clapping:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:31 AM

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run sfc /scannow in Windows 8 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens type in sfc /scannow (please note the space between sfc and /scannow), then press Enter.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

If it does find integrity problems the scan will continue.  This will take a while, please have patience and allow it finish.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 30 May 2015 - 08:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

Hi Ara I am SooooSorry :blush:I posted all this Yesterday @ 10 am??? I thought ? It was to big for the Reply column so I went to "More Reply Options" to

Attach It ....somehow I have not realised that it has not Gone. Any Way here it all is Thank you sorry about that :crazy:  Cheers Dazza

Attached Files

Edited by Dazza, 31 May 2015 - 10:12 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

Please click on the link below and follow the instructions there.

http://thetechcookbook.com/windows-8-update-kb3022345-causing-corrupt-files/

Please do the following after you have finished cleaning up the KB3022345 update.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key, in the menu that opens click or tap on Command Prompt (Admin).  This will open the Elevated Command prompt.

Copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Edited by dc3, 01 June 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#10 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

Hi  Ara Here's the Stuff Had a Bit of trouble Trying to Extract the CBS Files from the Folder then I reaslised you meant to Move the Files and the Folder  :oopsign:

I have sent the log and the CMD Admin as an "Attachment" in Case they are too Long Cheers  for now Dazza

Attached Files

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:26 AM

How is the computer running now?

#12 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hi Ara Its Running Fine but I tried a System Restore just now and it failed same Error Sign as before. I have 6 Ghost folders and Files that I cannot delete "Cannot find the File has Moved"  could that the Problem? Dazza

#13 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:00 AM

Hello Ara are you still Watching this Should I re-post in a Different Thread  ? what do I do Now, I still Cannot "System Restore" Restore Point?  Cheers Dazza

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:46 AM

Evidently you can open and use the command prompt, so go back to Alex's suggestion in post #5 and do what she has suggested.  

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

When the command prompt is open copy and then paste the command below in the command prompt, then press Enter.

net stop winmgmt

Go back to the Start menu and click on Computer.  Click on the C: drive.  When it opens click on Windows, then System32, then right click on WBEM and rename this folder to oldrepository.

Reboot your computer.

Open the command prompt the same way I outlined previusly, copy and then paste the following command, the press Enter.

net stop winmgmt

Do the same with the command below.

winmgmt /resetRepository

Restart the computer and let us know if the problem persists.

Edited by dc3, 05 June 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#15 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:26 PM

Nice one Ara it worked a Treat. The Computer seems to be Flying and all else is good. I Did a System Restore and Bingo it worked" only took about 90 Seconds. So thanks Very Much for helping me Ara and you also Alex. I am extremely Grateful for people like you Guy s' who give so Much just to Help others My Kindness Regards to you all til whenever Cheers for now Dazza :bananas: :thumbsup:

Attached Files

Edited by Dazza, 05 June 2015 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users