Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Efficient way to know if someone has logged with my youtube/google account....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 puravida999

puravida999

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

Hi, I would like to know if someone else logged using my youtube or google account from another place because I noticed that the thumbnail of my youtube video was changed 1 day after I admitted using copyrighted visual content; the last custom thumbnail I used was from the copyrighted part of my video and was soon automatically replaced by a previous custom thumbnail I uploaded when I first uploaded the video. This is why I thought someone knows my account.

What I first did was scanning my pc and no viruses was found (also I dont download anything or visit suspicious sites). Then I went to myaccount.google.com to do the "security check-up" and everything was correct, my account was only logged from my location(in the past 28 days) and from my browsers and everything was fine. So my question is, is this method trustworthy? like, if it doesnt show me any other logs in from another location, am I good?  :scratchhead: 

I would also like to know, can a hacker or trojan modify my online information ( in google, facebook, etc) from my computer while my browsers are closed or while I'm doing another tasks in my browser?  :rolleyes: 

This post might be a bit paranoid (and sorry for bad english) but I want to know if someone else changed my youtube video thumbnail or was a youtube bug or glitch( because like I said it showed me the first thumbnail I uploaded instead of the second one). 

Some people might say that why would a hacker want me as a target? well I have valuable information in my pc. Thank you very much for good answers,   :busy:

pd. this has nothing to do with cache stuff  or taking time to show the new thumbnail because from video manager it showed me that the thumbnail was in fact changed to the previous one.

Edited by puravida999, 25 May 2015 - 09:53 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:43 AM

Hi puravida999 :)

I would say that it comes from Youtube. If I understand what you just explained use, you admitted to use Copyrighted Visual Content in your videos, so the thumbnail might have been changed to a non-copyrighted one in order for Youtube to avoid taking down your video due to Copyright Infringement.

Also, Google will show you all the last locations and connections (even attempts) made to your account, so you would have seen if someone logged in it or even attempted to do so. Also, I'm sure that connections made by other parties (like Facebook or applications using your Google account) will show up, but I'm not sure about that.

Also, I doubt that a malware would modify your online information, it's possible, but quite rare. Usually, the person who sent the malware will gather the credentials he stole and change them manually, or via an automated utility (I've seen some in the past, they aren't terribly advanced but sometime it's more than enough).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

Hi puravida999 :)

I would say that it comes from Youtube. If I understand what you just explained use, you admitted to use Copyrighted Visual Content in your videos, so the thumbnail might have been changed to a non-copyrighted one in order for Youtube to avoid taking down your video due to Copyright Infringement.

Also, Google will show you all the last locations and connections (even attempts) made to your account, so you would have seen if someone logged in it or even attempted to do so. Also, I'm sure that connections made by other parties (like Facebook or applications using your Google account) will show up, but I'm not sure about that.

Also, I doubt that a malware would modify your online information, it's possible, but quite rare. Usually, the person who sent the malware will gather the credentials he stole and change them manually, or via an automated utility (I've seen some in the past, they aren't terribly advanced but sometime it's more than enough).

Thanks for your complete answer, yeah, I was a bit paranoid with viruses these last couple of weeks. But you are right, if they would hack me they wouldn't do dumb things such as changing the thumbnails, they would be quiet and wait until they get my information to change it.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

Some people infect others to mess with them, but in that case, I don't think you are infected, even less if the only suspicion is something so small. You are always free to request a basic malware check-up in the "Am I Infected? What do I do?" section however :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

Some people infect others to mess with them, but in that case, I don't think you are infected, even less if the only suspicion is something so small. You are always free to request a basic malware check-up in the "Am I Infected? What do I do?" section however :)

I prefer not to do this a big deal but I would like to know if a complete scan with avg premium or avast free edition is enough? if they don't detect anything, am I good?

Edited by puravida999, 25 May 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:11 AM

It's really rare that a full scan with an Antivirus will detect anything malicious on a system, or everything that is malicious on it. This is more of a job for Antimalware programs. What I suggest you to do is to do a scan with Malwarebytes. If it detects something, then you should consider posting in the "Am I Infected? What do I do?" section and ask for a check-up here (while providing the Malwarebytes log).

Also, I hope that you're not using two Antivirus programs at the same time on a system!

unite_blue.png

#7 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

It's really rare that a full scan with an Antivirus will detect anything malicious on a system, or everything that is malicious on it. This is more of a job for Antimalware programs. What I suggest you to do is to do a scan with Malwarebytes. If it detects something, then you should consider posting in the "Am I Infected? What do I do?" section and ask for a check-up here (while providing the Malwarebytes log).

Also, I hope that you're not using two Antivirus programs at the same time on a system!

I have 2 computers, one of them is using avast free + malwarebytes(free edition) and I performed full scan with these 2 programs, the result was no viruses or malwares.

On my other computer I have avg premium + malwarebytes(free edition) too and I performed a full scan with both and no viruses or malwares were found. 

1.Is this enough?

2. does malwarebytes free edition detects malwares before they can infect me or they find them only when I scan my pc

3.Is there any problem in having avg 2015 (paid version) or avast free edition and free malwarebytes installed? will there be any conflict if I use the malwarebytes only for scanning and not the real time protection.

4. I used to run avast 2015 free edition + malwarebytes trial (real time protection) , was that okay?

5.just not to open a new thread, is it possible for a hacker to take control of the router and get all the information coming in and out from the computers using that network?

6. 2 months ago I scanned with avg and it found some serving-sys tracking cookies, are they legit? 

and lastly, what is the difference between scanning your pc in safe mode and scanning it in normal mode? because I scanned my pcs in normal mode.

Edited by puravida999, 25 May 2015 - 04:11 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

1.Is this enough?

It just shows that you have no obvious signs of infection on your system. If there was no results, and you didn't suspect anything else happening on your system, you should be good. However, this isn't a way to know for sure (100%) that you aren't infected. Only manual inspection of the system, with tools used in the malware removal area can provide that kind of answer.

2. does malwarebytes free edition detects malwares before they can infect me or they find them only when I scan my pc

Malwarebytes Free doesn't provide real-time protection, which is what can prevent malware from infecting a system in the first place as it detects them and block them. The free version can simply be used as an "on-demand scanner" and will take malware already present on the system.

3.Is there any problem in having avg 2015 (paid version) or avast free edition and free malwarebytes installed? will there be any conflict if I use the malwarebytes only for scanning and not the real time protection.

There's no problem if you use an Antivirus and Malwarebytes together. Malwarebytes is an Antimalware, which is made to complement current Antivirus products. Which means you could have real-time protection on both programs (the Antivirus and Malwarebytes Premium) and it wouldn't cause any issue. If it does, you can easily whitelist Malwarebytes and it's files in your Antivirus program, and same for Malwarebytes and the Antivirus program you use. As long as you don't have two Antivirus programs installed on a single system (like avast! and AVG), you'll be fine.

4. I used to run avast 2015 free edition + malwarebytes trial (real time protection) , was that okay?

That's a good setup, yes. It's pretty basic as you could add more software, mostly Anti-Cryptoware, Anti-Exploit and other Security-related programs and web extensions.

5.just not to open a new thread, is it possible for a hacker to take control of the router and get all the information coming in and out from the computers using that network?

Yes, it's possible. He could set up a MiTM (Man in The Middle) attack as well.

and lastly, what is the difference between scanning your pc in safe mode and scanning it in normal mode? because I scanned my pcs in normal mode.

Usually, it's better to run your scans in normal mode. This way, detections for processes and modules will be more likely to pick up the malicious ones since these will be loaded and runned, while in Safe Mode, where they are usually not executed, the program/tool you use to scan for malicious processes and modules won't pick up anything. Usually, you do a scan in Safe Mode only if that scan isn't working in Normal Mode (like the malware can be preventing it) and once done, you go back in Normal Mode to run it and make sure it picked up everything.

unite_blue.png

#9 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

1.Is this enough?

It just shows that you have no obvious signs of infection on your system. If there was no results, and you didn't suspect anything else happening on your system, you should be good. However, this isn't a way to know for sure (100%) that you aren't infected. Only manual inspection of the system, with tools used in the malware removal area can provide that kind of answer.

Malwarebytes Free doesn't provide real-time protection, which is what can prevent malware from infecting a system in the first place as it detects them and block them. The free version can simply be used as an "on-demand scanner" and will take malware already present on the system.

There's no problem if you use an Antivirus and Malwarebytes together. Malwarebytes is an Antimalware, which is made to complement current Antivirus products. Which means you could have real-time protection on both programs (the Antivirus and Malwarebytes Premium) and it wouldn't cause any issue. If it does, you can easily whitelist Malwarebytes and it's files in your Antivirus program, and same for Malwarebytes and the Antivirus program you use. As long as you don't have two Antivirus programs installed on a single system (like avast! and AVG), you'll be fine.

That's a good setup, yes. It's pretty basic as you could add more software, mostly Anti-Cryptoware, Anti-Exploit and other Security-related programs and web extensions.

Yes, it's possible. He could set up a MiTM (Man in The Middle) attack as well.

Usually, it's better to run your scans in normal mode. This way, detections for processes and modules will be more likely to pick up the malicious ones since these will be loaded and runned, while in Safe Mode, where they are usually not executed, the program/tool you use to scan for malicious processes and modules won't pick up anything. Usually, you do a scan in Safe Mode only if that scan isn't working in Normal Mode (like the malware can be preventing it) and once done, you go back in Normal Mode to run it and make sure it picked up everything.

Thank you very much for your accurate answers, they were really helpful to end this virus paranoia I had and is because I'm kinda new into identifying threats but I just checked everything was updated (windows and antivirus) + malwarebytes and all looks fine. However, regarding question 3 about using avg premium + malwarebytes free you say they complement each other but I realized that avg premium already have malware scan, so, is necessary malwarebytes?

Sorry to disturb once again but I added a question, maybe you know if serving-sys cookies are ok, I searched online and they say is common, what's your opinion because I use adblock and I'm not sure if that prevents tracking cookies, could you clarify this for me?

pd. I dont want to mess with my computer but could you link me that manual inspection topic so I can take a look?  :blush:

I really appreciate I found in this forum what microsoft or google couldn't explain me  :P

Edited by puravida999, 25 May 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

To be honest, if you want to prevent being tracked online, I would use a track-blocking extension like Ghostery (very popular). You can also delete your cookies when you close your web browser, or not allow them at all. The following article on HowToGeek explains how to setup the web browsers in order to do that :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/63721/how-to-block-all-cookies-except-for-sites-you-use/

You need to create your own thread in the "Am I Infected? What do I do?" section. Simply post a thread saying you are concerning and you want a basic check-up :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users