Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java, Adobe, QuickTime, Real, WMP, do I need all these when I only use iTunes?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iampermanent

iampermanent

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:23 PM

I'm trying to only keep what I absolutely need and use on my computer (Windows XP 32-bit)

I'm about to update only the ones that are actually necessary and that I use, like I said though for all audio I use iTunes, and for movies it either plays them on Real or QuickTime so I'm confused lol

Any help much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

Hi Justin :)

Personally, for all your audio file needs, I would keep iTunes. As for the video ones, I would simply rely on VLC, which is way more efficient than QuickTime. Also, I don't know why you would need Java and Adobe products for audio and video files, but if you don't use them, I strongly suggest you to uninstall them as having them installed on a system is a huge security risk (vulnerability) as these are the most exploited programs to compromise a system.

So keep iTunes, install VLC media player, and uninstall QuickTime and RealPlayer. Uninstall Java and Adobe products as well if you don't use them, or disable them and only enable them when needed.

VLC website: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

Thanks so much! 

Yes I wasn't actually sure if Adobe or Java was even related to my audio and video stuff, and I had heard that they are a security risk, something I'm trying very hard to avoid hence why I'm posting here for advice and tips.

If I get rid of Adobe and Java will I still be able to view videos on websites like YouTube etc?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

Yes you will :) Websites that uses Java-based applets are rare now, these are more common on entreprise networks for their internal websites. Adobe Reader can be used to view PDF files, but Foxit Reader can also be used (and is much less vulnerable). Also, a lot of website with videos uses HTML5 now for the playback (like Youtube) if you use a supported web browser. Also, web browsers like Google Chrome have an in-built flash player so you don't need to have it installed on your system.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

Oh my gosh you have no idea how helpful you've been! Thank you! :D 

I am definitely getting rid of Java then and switching to Foxit Reader. And It's good cause I use Chrome so that's prefect.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

By default, Google Chrome should be using the HTML5 player on Youtube as well :) In order to verify that, simply right-click on a video and check the last option, About .... The three little dots will be replaced by the name of the player you are using.

And no problem Justin, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

#7 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

Oh awesome! I just checked and it is using the HTML5 Player. So cool! Haha sorry I'm so excited right now like a little kid, cause I've been wanting to work all this stuff out for a while and always thought it was so complicated and overwhelming, but everyone on here makes it so simple and easy to understand!

So thanks Aura! :)

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

Well, once you have somebody to explain you how it works, it becomes easy to understand :)

And no problem Justin!

unite_blue.png

#9 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

Agreed! :)

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

Also, you could still use Windows Media Player as an hybrid back-up media player, but since iTunes and VLC supports more file types and have more codecs than it by default, it's not really worth using it :)

Edited by Aura., 24 May 2015 - 08:18 PM.

unite_blue.png

#11 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:22 PM

Yeah I was thinking that too, but honestly ever since iTunes I've never once used Windows Media Player again. Plus the more file types supported the better :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users