Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software to Monitor bandwidth used by Router ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 osirisjem

osirisjem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:47 PM

I was hoping for some software to monitor upload / download data usage for two scenarios.

Scenario 1:  a one computer, one router situation.

Scenario 2:  a Home LAN, one router 3 computers, 3 laptops, 3 iphones situation.

Scenario 3:  an Office LAN, one router 8 computers, 4 laptops, 5 smartphones situation.

- #3 has this router: Netgear genie R6250.

All help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

The only reliable method is to have the software running on the router.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

Normally when people ask this type of question they are talking about a per IP address on their LAN. If you are one of those that are asking for how much data you are using on a whole, most ISPs have a data cap even if it's not enforced so that data should be on their website somewhere. You might have to call in if you can't find it. But it's normally somewhere in your account information.

As far as per IP address usage there are 2 methods: 1) Software installed on devices that report back to a main "server" PC. 2) Inside the network equipment itself, as Kilroy suggested

Option 1 has to be installed on the devices connected to your network. If it's your kids, then go for it but if it's a room mate, forget it.

Option 2 is just part of the software on the router or switches. Unless you are buying from small business line of network equipment, most home use routers are not going to have that out of the box. So that means 3rd party software. Even then I'm not sure how many do per IP address bandwidth.

So perhaps first thing, what are you looking to do or why do you need to know this information?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 osirisjem

osirisjem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

Scenario 1:  a one computer, one router situation.
- My Father in law's house.
- he's got slow, expensive crappy internet in the country.   He gets 5 Gig a month and the overage rates are huge.
Scenario 2:  a Home LAN, one router 3 computers, 3 laptops, 3 iphones situation.
- My house.   I get 135 Gigs (Up + Down total). I'm at 130 with 8 days to go.  I just wanted
Scenario 3:  an Office LAN, one router 8 computers, 4 laptops, 5 smartphones situation.
 - I was thinking of implementing a Guest Wifi at work ... I would like to monitor the bandwidth usage of that and my whole network.  Not sure I have upload and download caps.

what is some good software (little impact on PC performance) for scenario 1 or just one PC in a home LAN situation ?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:38 PM

For scenario 1 - NetWorx looks promising. As in with a little setup it should be able to alert him as he approaches his limit.

For the others your best bet is to find some firmware that will show you that information.

For scenario 2 - DD-WRT has it under Status --> WAN tab --> scroll down to Traffic by Month. It's not perfect but it'll let ya know rather easy. If you are looking for something a bit better, Networx has a setting to sync with other instances of the software on the network. So minus the iPhones, it might work. But it'd still be best for to find it in the hardware if you can.

For scenario 3 - if you are using a managed switch, that information can probably be found out easy. Maybe the switch can send a syslog to a PC.

I am spit balling with all of this tho.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

data consumption like that usually relates to being hijacked/malware infected.  might want to see is your routers have bandwidth control/limiting internet when you reach a certain data limit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users