Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spinning Blue Circle Desktop pointer Windows 8.1 pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JAGUAR1950

JAGUAR1950

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

New to this site and wondered if anyone else is having the same problem:

Started approximately 2 days ago I have a continuous spinning blue circle next to my mouse pointer on the desktop. I have checked on several other forums trying to find a fix, although many people are also complaining of the same problem.

My computer is running fine with no other problems can anyone HELP? Please.

2 x Dell Ultrasharp 27 inch Premier Colour Widescreens.

CoolerMaster Cosmos S Gaming Tower Case

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-990X Extreme Edition Six Core 3.46GHz, 6.4GTs/12 MB LGA1366 XX

HD:O.S. 256 GB SSD Crucial M4

HD:256 GB SSD Crucial M4 Series SATA III Gaming MLC

HD2:1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive. (2TB (1TBx2) Raid 0 Extreme Performance

24GB Ram PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Triple Channel Memory ***Overclockable XXX***)

MB:(3-Way SLI Support) Asus Rampage III Extreme Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX LGA1366 ATX Mainboard - Overclockable w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, IEEE1394a, USB3.0, Bluetooth, SATA-III, RAID, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1, & 1 PCI

POWERSUPPLY:1350 Watts ThermalTake ToughPower Gaming Power Supply -- SLI / Crossfire ready.

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series PCI-E Sound Card.

Bose ® Companion® 5 Multimedia Speaker System

2 x EVGA 3GB GeForce GTX780 GDDR5 CLASSIFIED CPU BOOST 2.0 ACX double bio in S.L.I

CORSAIR Gaming Keyboard. RAT 7 Mouse.

Sennheiser PC363D Gaming headset.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

Is it continuous or does it just randomly appear sometimes for about 5 seconds? If it is the latter that is quite normal, it happens to me on my machine. If the blue circle is always shown and spinning it indicates soemthing big going on in the background, this could be all sorts of things. Some causes could be perfectly natural, some causes could be bad. Open task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and go to the details tab, list the details by the "memory" clumn to have the highest usage processes at the top. Write down the names of each task manager process you see, then type those names into a post here, in the order of highest to lowest memory usage. Also go to the performance tab of task manager, write down the percentage CPU, memory and disk usage. Type those numbers into a post on here.

Edited by rp88, 24 May 2015 - 10:30 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

When Windows 8 shuts down it is not a true shutdown. It's more of a hybrid shutdown to allow for a fast boot. Try a true shutdown and reboot. Type CMD in the search box and Right Click > Run as Administrator.

At the command prompt type the following.

shutdown /s /t 0 

/s tells the computer to do a shutdown and not a reboot. /t /0 tell the computer to shutdown immediately.

After the computer shuts down reboot and see if you still have the spinning circle.

And Welcome to BC.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 May 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#4 JAGUAR1950

JAGUAR1950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the help guys:

Tried the command prompt and a reboot but still have the spinning circle its driving me NUTS. !!!!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

Did you add any program during the last two days? You can do a System Restore before the issue began. If you added any file or folder to the desktop after the Restore Point, copy it to your documents folder.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:42 AM

The spinning circle indicates that something's going on in the background.
The problem is figuring out what it is - especially when it doesn't cause other problems (such as slowness).

Start by using this free program:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all the non-Windows extensions and reboot to see if that fixes it.
If it does fix it, then re-enable half and see if the problem returns - continue to re-enable by half's until you isolate the problem.

If it doesn't work, post back for some other suggestions.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 JAGUAR1950

JAGUAR1950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:23 AM

After some more in depth research via Windows this Spinning circle problem appears to have been caused by: Windows auto update I am not sure which update is causing the problem but an update is not downloading correctly and is hanging / looping during download.

Thus the Blue Spinning Circle on the desktop next to the mouse pointer this is within the past two weeks.

Managed to solve the problem: Go to Control Panel – Trouble Shooting . System and Security Fix problems with Windows Update.

You may have to run this as Administrator: Problems found FIXED.

This worked for me and appears to have solved my problem.

Thanks for all the help guys appreciated.  

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

Interesting, As you said it seems to be a common problem. Thanks for posting the solution.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users