Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$9 computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

Super interesting may be all the average Joe/Jane should need for every day use.

https://www.kickstarter.com/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

You forgot to post the link, here it is:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:38 AM

Worked fine for me, just waited a few seconds for it to appear then clicked on project.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

Your first post is linking to the KickStarter website, not the project on it:

u0dRK8I.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

Sounds cool, but after googling "1GHZ Allwinner 113 Compatible SoC", unfortunately it seems it uses an ARM CPU rather than X86-32/X86-64 which is a turn off to me, but for $9 it could still be kinda interesting so I signed up for kickstarter, and pledged my $9 USD + Shipping.

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

Cute little devil!  @hollowface, keep us posted when you get this super charged dude! Let us know if it's as easy as reported to hook up and use!

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:26 PM

Originally I ordered 1 CHIP, but the shipping was a bit high, lots of people were complaining about that, so NTC (the makers) found a better shipping service. They let people use the difference to get more CHIP stuff, or more CHIPs. I considered getting a VGA cable with my savings, but ultimately decided to get a 2nd CHIP instead. Fast forward to the present. Today my CHIPs arrived. I haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet, aside from turn one on to make sure it worked.

It doesn't come with a power cable. I knew this, but wasn't clear on which cable I would need, so I had my fingers crossed I'd have the right type handy. Luckily it uses the same type of USB cable that my BlackBerry does (the really tiny tiny ones), so I was able to plug it in using that.

Some pics:

hXlYzZM.jpg

0kxRY9w.jpg

Cs8DRHy.jpg

I'm not sure what my next step will be...

#8 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

WOW!!!! @hollowface!

If you don't mind: what did the cost of shipping end up? And, was the original price of $9.00 remain?

Careful..this new friend might get  lost under a spoon! What browser does it use?

Oh...and did it come with a 'leather case' :hysterical:

Fun...fun...W10..move over. :-)

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:58 PM

@softeyes

what did the cost of shipping end up?

Original Pledge: $29 USD ($9 USD for the CHIP, $20 USD for shipping)
New Shipping Cost: $12 USD ($8 USD now usable for towards other CHIP stuff, or more CHIPs. This was not a set a price, it varied by country. This is just what it cost to ship to where I live.)
Additionl Payment: $1 USD (because $1 + $8 is enough for a second chip, and since I chose to get a second CHIP they did not charge for additional shipping, because they could be shipped together. If I had chosen to get other CHIP stuff, I would have been charged for additional shipping, because the other stuff would ship at a different date than the CHIP did.)
Total Spent: $30 USD (for 2 CHIPs and shipping. Of course, I live in Canada, and the Canadian Dollar was down at the time.)

What browser does it use?

I'll come back to this question.

#10 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:27 PM

If that thing is really just $9.00 its probably the cheapest computer in the entire world.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:53 AM

Before I get too carried away with my CHIP, I've been wanting to make a backup of the drive, and a backup of the operating system partition. This way I can restore OS if I get myself into trouble, or clone it to an external drive for testing stuff out. I setup an Ubuntu VM on my main computer, and did some tests to figure out my approach. Obviously some things will be different since CHIP-Linux is based on Debian ARM, but it should be similar enough, and I can re-write the steps as I go. I got part way into this process, which involved using rsync, but then the mouse, keyboard, and screen all went dead. I ended up having to unplug the CHIP from it's power cable, and plug it back in. Now when I boot it up, it hangs at the loading screen. :( This is why I can't have nice things. :P

I think I've done enough fiddling for one day, and I should probably give CHIP some time to cool (well...at least that's the excuse I'm going with).  I'll have to trouble-shoot my boot issues before I can get back to making my backup. Worst case senario, it sounds like you can reflash your CHIP using another computer (if I'm reading the docs right), and that might be interesting to try just for the fun of it.

Long term, I will probably want to install VNC, or SSH on it, because having to disconnect my: keyboard, mouse, and usb-hub from my main computer when-ever I want to use CHIP, is a bit irritating, but I don't have spares. Plus my TV isn't ideally positioned for computer usage. I'm getting ahead of myself though.

Anyways, that's what I've been up to. :)

#12 Securex

Securex

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:16 AM

Interesting computer :) but i know a lot of similar things are now being developed.

IPleak.com - Check your VPN or Proxy!

Temp-Mail.org - Disposable Temporary email

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,965 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:20 PM

Pretty impressive that thesedays a computer can be built for less than the cost of sending it from the supplier to the buyer. I mean I often buy books which are cheaper than their shipping cost, but wow, a computer cheaper than it's shipping cost.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users