Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best free anti-virus/anti-malware/protection for Windows XP 32-bit

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 iampermanent

iampermanent

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

I am planning on purchasing one eventually but just in the mean time to keep things safe any recommendations?

I've just cleaned up my computer of random "free anti-virus software" that was downloaded over a period of time, and my computer is finally free and I wanna keep it that way! hehe :)

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:05 AM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:Here are links to polls about this very subject:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:16 AM

Thanks so much, I will have a read through all that :)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

You're welcome and good luck.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

As you are on xp you need to go further than would be normal as far as security measures are concerned. Windows xp is no longer supported and hasn't received security patches for over a year now, so it has vulnerabilities, and internet explorer on windows xp has even more vulnerabilities.

You need not purchase an antivirus there are atleast 3 good free ones:
avast, bit defender free and avg. Do not delay in getting one set up. Bitdefender free is the one with the least bundling problems, but it desn't give you many ptions with it's settings. Avast doesn't have severe bundling and works wel, but will give regular little "have you heard about or business editions" pop-ups in the bottom right corner. AVG has worse bundling (they try to get you to install an optimizer tool, don't do this ever) but is also quite effective.

You will need more than just an antivirus:
an antimalware program like malwarebytes is a very wise idea, there is a free version for on demand scanning

You will need a third opinion scanner as well:
ESET online scanner is good for this

You will need to ditch internet explorer:
firefox and chrome are both still available for XP, both are kept up-to-date and secure.

You need to keep any plugins up to date, and keep up to date whichever browsers you have and whichcever antivirus you choose.

You need to back up your data regularly.

You need to run a scriptblocker in your browser, with xp being vulnerable you need to do everything you can to make drivebys impossible. Gone are the days when you would only get a virus from malicious downloads or shady sites, they can come from anywhere these days, often via adverts. NoScript in firefox is good for this.

You need to make some system images, on later windows operating systems there are functions to do this built in, on XP there are not so you must use third paty tools such as macrium (there is a free version).

You might want to run some sot of whitelsting program, there are several which describe themselves as being for preventing crypto ransom infections but they should prevent other viruses executing as well.

You likely want to run extra protection against exploits alongside your antivirus, antimalware, script blocker, up-to-date browser and up-to-date (deactivated where possible, "click to play"/"ask to activate" otherwise) plugins. This could be done with something like malwarebytes anti-exploit, an extra anti drive-by layer behind your browser and infront of your antivirus and antimalware.

The good thing about NoScript, malwarebytes anti-exploit and whitelisting programs is that they stop new viruses, not just ones in an existing database by working on a principle of "block unless the user says let it through" rather than "allow unless it matches a known nasty in the database".

Note that a day will come when neither these antiviruses nor chrome or firefox will be available in versions which can run on XP, when that day comes you will need to move to windows 7, 8, 8.1 or a linux operating system. Until then you just need to take as many steps for security as you possibly can.

Edited by rp88, 24 May 2015 - 09:50 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:52 PM

Just for the record:

Lately I was exposed to two trojans virus related to java and Bitdefender free quarantined it. When checked on Bitdefender quarantine details they appears to be new trojans (freshly oven baked).

I automatically run Hitmanpro, MBAE on startup,  and those trojans where not detected.

Incidentally that very day I did run Emisoft Malware, MBAM, and SAS for my weekly on demand scan schedule, none detected the trojans either, but in this case it may be because the trojans where quarantined by Bitdefender.

On my book this finding speaks highly of Bitdefender free antivirus.

VS

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 24 May 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Malware writers have the advantage since no matter how hard security vendors attempt to stay on top of new threats, there is always a short time-frame in which a new malicious file goes undetected and can infect a computer without detection. Just because one anti-virus or anti-malware scanner detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. Every security vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.Further, each vendor has its own definition (naming standards) of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

Thus, a multi-layered defense using anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and following Best Practices for Safe Computing provides the most complete protection.

#8 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

I totally agree with you, I was just adding my usual two bobs on to the subject of choosing a AV, by relating my experience with Bitdefender Free.

Far from my mind to canvass in favor of, or advising on matters of which in all honesty I understand very little indeed.

Always enlightening going through your posts and links.

VS 

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:38 PM

All member suggestions and opinions are worthwhile and welcome VS.

However, in this case, iampermanent is using and asking about an anti-virus for Windows XP so I would not recommend the free version of Bitdefender.

Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation

...those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution

#10 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

quietman

Thanks to point that out to me. I shall be more diligent in the future, as apparently ' the roads of failure are paved with good intentions'.

VS

:)

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 24 May 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

Not a problem.

#12 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. That's a lot of information to take in haha I'm quite the novice when it comes to this stuff, so whatever you guys honestly recommend for me to do, I'd really appreciate a step-by-step guide of how to actually execute it. 

I am thinking the paid version of an anti-virus/anti-malware software is my best option, rp88 can I really get away with only using the free ones?

If i can get away with the free ones I wont complain but I am more than willing to pay for the added security, eventually, I'm more just looking for something to protect me in the mean time.

Also, I've stopped using and disabled  Internet Explorer a while ago, I only use Chrome if that helps.

Edited by iampermanent, 24 May 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware if choosing a paid for program as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason.

I generally recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium as the backbone to supplementing my anti-virus software. See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why.

Also, I've stopped using and disabled  Internet Explorer a while ago, I only use Chrome if that helps.

Yes that will help. All Windows XP users should also stop using Internet Explorer as that version is no longer supported and is vulnerable to exploits. Instead, they should use an updated alternate Browser like Chrome or Firefox.

#14 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:28 PM

Yes I had read somewhere that IE shouldn't be used anymore, especially on WIndows XP. Chrome works so much better for me anyway I was happy for the switch.

It's funny, I actually have the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, I wasn't even sure if it was legit or was a "fake" anti-malware that's actually malware itself, is that a good software to tie me over until I get a premium version?

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

To protect against the increasing threat of ransomware, I recommend:

To protect your browser and help prevent advertisements & block websites, I generally recommend one or more of the following:

Notes about Adblock Plus and NoScript:
Google, Amazon, Microsoft pay to get ads past Adblock Plus
Attention NoScript Users - Adblock Plus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users