Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Support Malware

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iampermanent

iampermanent

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

Can't tell you how relieved I am to hear that this is to help novices like myself. 

I have a 32-bit Windows XP Professional 2002, and I'm currently in the process of removing unwanted or unused programs and backing up important stuff etc. cause I'm aware that XP Support has been over for quite some time and I want to try to make my computer last as long as it can before upgrading. 

Anyways, I've removed everything I've wanted to except one thing, a program listed as 'Driver Support' in my 'Add/Remove Programs list' and that's it, doesn't say size or anything else, even when I click on it for the option to change/remove there is no option what so ever to do that. It's just highlighted in blue bigger, with no removal options.

I've googled it and I think it could be malware as we've had problems in the past with malware that have been removed (or so I thought). Apparently from what I read online, this 'Driver Support' malware (if it is that) is even difficult for most anti-malware software to find, so I'm way out of my league here and stumbled on this site and thought someone may have a suggestion to remove it so I can make my computer a whole lot safer.

Oh, and the things is there is actually no 'symptoms' or whatever that this 'malware' is doing that I can see. Like apart from me knowing it's there now and seeing it in the program list, there is no indication that there is any suspicious malware or anything on my computer.

Previous problems I've had on this computer with malware is ones that would reset the browser to something that looked a lot like google but wasn't, and would direct you to different and probably dangerous website (I realised right away it wasn't legit so I click out and searched everything from the proper google page, is that even makes a difference) and it also used to put 'fake' links on sites to make it seem like they related to what I was browsing, and I knew they weren't right either and never clicked on them. (This is a computer my whole family uses, so I'm not sure about my family, I know my dad who is even less tech-savvy than me did go to those links and even downloaded anti-virus software from them... yeah I know, not good.). But this was about a year ago and it seems that all that has fixed up.

I'm really not sure what's going on, hence why I'm posting here. I'm just trying to put any information here I think might be necessary or helpful to fix the problem, any help at all would be much appreciated :)

Thank you

Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:47 AM

Hi there,

Driver Support is commonly considered a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) rather than malware. Even if it does not do anything to harm you, you don't need a software to update your driver - all of those can be downloaded directly from the manufacturer's website instead of using a third party program.

Let's see if this will get rid of it.

- Download Revo Uninstaller from here (choose the Portable version) at the bottom.

- Extract the downloaded archive to your Desktop.

- Go into the folder, right click on Revouninstaller.exe and choose Run as Administrator.

- Search for "Driver Support", then let Revo Uninstaller remove everything it found.

Let me know how it went.

Regards,
Alex

#3 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

This is kind of embarrassing but... I don't know my password to put for Run as Administrator. Any way to find that out? 

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

Oh, sorry - that instruction is for Vista+. You are running Windows XP, so you only need to double click it to launch Revo Uninstaller :)

#5 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

Phew! I was freaking out there. Okay I'm in, it's about to remove it but because I'm freakishly pedantic what Uninstall Mode do I use?

Built-in

Safe

Moderate

Advance

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

Hi there,

Please use Advance Mode since we'll be digging into the bowels of the system to get it all out.

Alex

#7 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

Okay I've scanned it and now I have a long list of Registry Items. Do I just select the things in bold like it says and delete?

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

Yes please :) let Revo Uninstaller remove all the items related to Driver Support.

#9 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

Oh my gosh! It worked! :D

Alex, you're a lifesaver thank you! 

You have no idea how happy you've just made me! I really appreciate all your help.

This is a really cool site! :)

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:23 AM

Glad to know it helped. :)

You can keep Revo Uninstaller, or just delete the folder and it will be gone.

Safe computing practices

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

Have a nice (malware-free) day, and stay safe on the 'Net :)

Regards,
Alex

#11 iampermanent

iampermanent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

Definitely keeping it.

Thanks again! Have a great day :)