Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble installing Ubuntu Mate in middle of drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:07 PM

I am trying to install Ubuntu Mate in the partition "sda6" where Ubuntu 14.04 was installed. The install goes as normal,making sure I mount the Drive,Format,and place the bootloader correctly in the same partition.Afterward,I go to my last Linux install- and update grub.and then,when I try to boot into that partition (sda6) it wont boot - it just goes back to the original boot screen.I am able to boot into any other Partition,but not the  one where I just installed. What am I missing here? PaulScreenshot_zpswfvx1uuf.png

Edited by paul88ks, 23 May 2015 - 11:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:25 AM

I'd suggest starting by taking a look at the GRUB2 menu-entry. Perhaps it's pointing to the wrong partition, wrong initrd, wrong vmlinuz, or wrong something?

In your terminal-emulator type:

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Then find the menu-entry for the Ubuntu Mate installation. Entries start with a line simalar to:

menuentry 'OS Name'

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:03 AM

this is what comes up but I have no idea how to read it-Screenshot-1_zpseiohlw0j.png

Edited by paul88ks, 24 May 2015 - 02:04 AM.

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:12 AM

Ubuntu Mate is on sda6

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:24 AM

Hollowface- I didn't realize I wasn't looking at the whole terminal result after I typed in the command you showed me- I scrolled down to the bottom of all the menu entrys,and updated grub- and rebooted and Bang! Ubuntu Mate came right up! I was doing all this inside of my Linux Mint mate install- maybe that made a difference? Or was grub just not seeing it until I ran that command the cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg As isaid,after updating that the bootloader saw it right away! Thanks!!!!

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:35 AM

place the bootloader correctly in the same partition

Grub is normally installed to the MBR of the drive, rather than to any particular partition. So for example I have Linux distros on /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda7 but I would install grub to /dev/sda (which is the default location)

Bang! Ubuntu Mate came right up! I was doing all this inside of my Linux Mint mate install

I would guess that you installed grub to the MBR of your drive when you installed Mint Mate, so that is where the Grub files that are currently in use, are located. Is Mint Mate at the top of the Grub boot menu?

If so, this is no big deal. It just means that when you want to update Grub, do so from your Mint Mate installation, and it's easy enough to install Grub manually from any other Linux installation on your computer if you want to configure Grub from a different installation.

Ubuntu Mate is on sda6

I've never tried Ubuntu Mate, but going by your screenshot, unless Ubuntu Mate is almost Puppy-like in size it doesn't look like it's on /dev/sda6, as only 1.32GiB of space is being used on that partition.

Edited by Al1000, 24 May 2015 - 04:39 AM.

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:50 PM

updated grub- and rebooted and Bang! Ubuntu Mate came right up!

Glad you've got things working.

was grub just not seeing it until I ran that command the cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg As isaid,after updating that the bootloader saw it right away! Thanks!!!!

Don't thank me, you fixed it yourself. :) Cat just reads files, it was updating GRUB2 that fixed what-ever the issue was.

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:33 PM

place the bootloader correctly in the same partition

Grub is normally installed to the MBR of the drive, rather than to any particular partition. So for example I have Linux distros on /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda7 but I would install grub to /dev/sda (which is the default location)

Bang! Ubuntu Mate came right up! I was doing all this inside of my Linux Mint mate install

I would guess that you installed grub to the MBR of your drive when you installed Mint Mate, so that is where the Grub files that are currently in use, are located. Is Mint Mate at the top of the Grub boot menu?

If so, this is no big deal. It just means that when you want to update Grub, do so from your Mint Mate installation, and it's easy enough to install Grub manually from any other Linux installation on your computer if you want to configure Grub from a different installation.

Ubuntu Mate is on sda6

I've never tried Ubuntu Mate, but going by your screenshot, unless Ubuntu Mate is almost Puppy-like in size it doesn't look like it's on /dev/sda6, as only 1.32GiB of space is being used on that partition.

AI1000- I was always told to place the bootloader (grub) in the same partition that you are going to install Linux,at least that is what I have done on all my previous installations. Yes ,Mint mate is at the top of the boot screen,followed by Windows,Zorin,and then Ubuntu mate next. It is on sda6 I double checked its location. I thought each partition had its own bootloader,but I guess I am wrong about that. Maybe you could help me with my understanding of the Grub bootloader! Anyway- its all working now-and- the size of Ubuntu Mate IS very small as you said!

I have some other installs on the same drive that I am going to remove -like Haze and Kubuntu- will I have to do this process again after I format those partitions?

#9 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:47 PM

updated grub- and rebooted and Bang! Ubuntu Mate came right up!

Glad you've got things working.

was grub just not seeing it until I ran that command the cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg As isaid,after updating that the bootloader saw it right away! Thanks!!!!

Don't thank me, you fixed it yourself. :) Cat just reads files, it was updating GRUB2 that fixed what-ever the issue was.

Hollowface- if I fixed it-trust me- it was entirely by accident.I just thought- I wonder what will happen if I update grub within the grub configuration you showed me- I guess we learn from making mistakes!

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:36 AM

AI1000- I was always told to place the bootloader (grub) in the same partition that you are going to install Linux,at least that is what I have done on all my previous installations.

Grub can be installed to partitions, but the MBR of the drive (/dev/sda) is the default location.

Yes ,Mint mate is at the top of the boot screen

I thought it would be. This indicates that the grub configuration files that the system is using are on the Mint Mate partition. Had you installed Grub to /dev/sda when you installed Ubuntu Mate, it would have been at the top of the boot menu. But like I said this is no big deal, and just means that grub is configured and updated from your Mint Mate installation rather than from your Ububtu mate installation.

In future when you install a new Linux distro, if you leave the grub bootloader on its default setting (to install to /dev/sda), then whatever distro you install should end up at the top of the boot menu and the system will use the grub files that are installed to it.

Alternatively, if you want to keep Mint Mate at the top of the boot menu, don't install Grub to the MBR when you install another distro, but instead boot into Mint Mate, and update grub from there, same as you did on this occasion.

Anyway- its all working now

Pleased to hear it. :)

-and- the size of Ubuntu Mate IS very small as you said!

That's interesting. I like small distros, so will have to give it a try.

I have some other installs on the same drive that I am going to remove -like Haze and Kubuntu- will I have to do this process again after I format those partitions?

All you have to do to update the grub boot menu after formatting these partitions, is boot into Mint Mate and update grub from there:

sudo update-grub

Edited by Al1000, 25 May 2015 - 01:41 AM.

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:26 AM

From what i can see so far,it comes pretty barebones OOTB. I've had to install a lot of software that seems to be in Linux Mint from the get go- but i do like it very much so far.It is highly customizable - Font size - Themes- etc. We shall see1

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:58 AM

From what i can see so far,it comes pretty barebones OOTB. I've had to install a lot of software that seems to be in Linux Mint from the get go

Most people do not use at least half the software that's pre installed on distros like Ubuntu or Mint. When I do a install of Ubuntu I get rid of the stuff I never use.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:09 AM

When I do a install of Ubuntu I get rid of the stuff I never use.

So do I! 

Being that I don't mess with Torrent files, Transmission is among the first to be removed. 

On the other hand, if there's something I need, will grab it, from the Software Manager or in some instances, through the Terminal. 

It's been a bit back, I created a Topic in regards to Ubuntu MATE, right before it became an official Ubuntu flavor. The version that I linked, the LTS one, isn't an official one, and maybe that's why VMware Player wouldn't install, there was a component error that prevented install. A reinstall of the OS did no good. 

However, as I named the Topic, Ubuntu MATE is like the old school Ubuntu, though there are ways to make modern Ubuntu OS's the same way & keep the core of the OS. Nick showed this to me, hopefully it would work with newer versions. 

From what i can see so far,it comes pretty barebones OOTB

Yes, kind of the way XFCE installs are for the most part, little software as possible, yet few of these still fits on a CD anymore, most aren't that much smaller than their larger siblings (using Linux Mint for an example). Both the MATE & XFCE versions are 1.5GiB in size, while oddly, Cinnamon which has more features, is only 1.4GiB, and the largest is KDE at 1.6GiB. For comparison, all of these are the 64 bit versions. 

Yet I know it to be fact that MATE (& Cinnamon) has more installed software than XFCE. Though likely once installed, some cleanup takes place & then there will be an installed size difference. 

Ubuntu MATE likely has less software installed, to not be so bloated, which supports the other half of Nick's post. 

Most people do not use at least half the software that's pre installed on distros like Ubuntu or Mint. 

He's right, just as with any OS, most users are using at best, 25% of it's features & that's giving it the benefit of the doubt. Many installs their own preferred software, such as browsers & other software, from the Software Manager or direct download as a .deb file. (the way many installs Google Chrome & Earth). As well as Call Phones from GMail, which is 100% free calling to US users to make calls to any number in the US & Canada. The catches are, first & obvious, one must be inside of their GMail box, the 2nd, one doesn't get their own phone number, everyone shares the same one, which many scammers uses to make calls to rip folks off. So, if one doesn't answer your call w/out expecting you, don't blame them, they have no way of knowing whom it is, unless it's another Google Hangouts member (both parties would have to be members).

Yet for those who are interested, here's the Call Phones From GMail download. Be sure to select the proper bit version for your OS if prompted & the call phone option is right beside of your user picture to the left of the GMail screen after install, if logged in, a log out & back in will be needed. Click that, and the phone pops up in the bottom right corner of screen. 

http://www.google.com/intl/en-us/chat/voice/

I'm not sure about global availability, yet it's been free in the US for years. Google announces at the end of each year if there's a price change or change in Terms. 

Skype is also available for Linux users, right from the Software Manager. Most Linux OS's has many of the same benefits as other branded OS's, it's up to us to use these. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:42 AM

I installed this a couple of days ago, but still don't understand how it takes up so little space on your computer. After installation it took up 3.8GB on my HDD, and after updating and prior to installing a video driver it grew to 4.2GB.

diskusagemate1_zps9bf1x5m0.png

diskusagemate2_zpsbr8rle2m.png

It also seems to have much the same software that comes with Ubuntu Unity, as far as I can tell, and the ISO for MATE is at least as big if not bigger than the ISO for Unity. Could you please post a link to where you downloaded it from? I installed the 14.04 32-bit version, but the ISOs for the 64-bit 14.04 and also for both versions of 15.04 that I found, were all about the same size (1.1GiB or so).

Now configured a bit more to my liking. :)

ubuntumate1_zpsgdjqhig8.png

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

Another Linux trying to look like Windows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users