Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I HATE WINDOWS 8 ON MY NEW LAPTOP HOW CAN I GET WINDOWS 7

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

Dell Inspiron I3541-2001

I have 3problems the first is I

HAVE NO PATIENCE, And I'M SERIOUSLY WANTING to smash this new laptop which I GOT because the case is falling apart on my old one which I AM on now I HAVE to hold the screen monitor up with one hand and type with the other

the lack of patience is my problem -- I'M just saying

2nd problem is I HATE WINDOWS 8 AND the person who invented it should face a firing squad

3rd problem is this new DELL LAPTOP doesnt have a light that says whether its on or off and it has a blank screen half the time so i dont know if its on doing something or its off

so i would like to contact DELL BUTwhen i tried to sign up with them it sends a message about sorry message trying to connect in a way never be able to complete SO basically you're SOL

BETWEEN THE NEW LAPTOP ISSUES AND WINDOWS 8 which has to have been originated in HELL and my new laptop I SERIOUSLY AM needing a tranquilizer

ALL I EVER ACCOMPLISH with the laptop ifor some reason it instantly goes to my hotmail account which i never use - it doesnt remember my password so i am forever typing it in and then my computer either locks up or i cant get it to do anything else so i turn it off and start over and a whole other set of issues

WHY DOES it keep going to forcing me to enter my hotmail account instead of to the main screen with all the choices and how can I get it to do that becauwe its a waste of time I DON'T WANT TO GO TO HOTMAIL I want to go to the screen that hasn't been there since I sadly signed into HOTMAIL

HOW DO I get it to start up with the home screen and get rid of the HOTMAIL LOG IN I don't want

I AM SERIOUS about how do I get rid of WINDOWS 8 - IT IS BEYOND WORTHLESS

probably there is a Dell Diagnostics help but I don't have control of the computer long enough to find it\

]

Edited by JayJax, 23 May 2015 - 11:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

On this new worthless laptop I have the following problems during the few minutes it does something besides make me enter my hotmail password.

At some point it said do you want to set up a new account so I said yes as Gmail was one of the options so it said okay but then when I tried to do that it said SORRY NO INTERNET CONNECTION troubleshoot your connection but it isn't my connection its only the GMAIL

somehow it says I purchasesd face recognition so it was trying to do that and the camera was on with my picture framed but it said the camera wasn't on so it couildnt complete it even though the camera had to be on or it wouldn't have had my picture on the screen so it said check to turn your camera on which I don'[t know how to do as the computer is barely usable

FACE RECOGNITION WOULD BE NICE IF it kept me from having to type in the password to HOTMAIL ten times an hour but it doesn't worik

it had macafee on it which was a pain so I tried to delete it but it keeps showing back up again\

somehow i ended up with something called Drive Connect or something like that which I didn't want and tried to delete (bearing in mind that I can only get to the control panel limited timesand then it goes back to hotmail

but I'm not having luck getting rid of that either

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CALL DELL CUSTOMER SERVICE BECAUSE I CAN'T GET ONline because it says not authorized or something

I'M JUST ABOUT READY TO LOSE IT AND I'M REALLY SORRY I'm like losing it but I have stuff I need to do and either laptop right now is seriously sucking

Edited by JayJax, 23 May 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CALL DELL CUSTOMER SERVICE BECAUSE I CAN'T GET ONline because it says not authorized or something

If this is what you want ...... Here it is , "but" be prepared with a coffee and a bit of time to spare, as they do get busy with similar questions ..Have your Model and Serial numbers with you.

Dell Home/Consumer Customer Support ( "friendly agents" ) Monday-Friday 7:00 am to 7:00 pm1-800-624-9897

If you prefer, most of these can be done via the forum here but it will take a bit of time (same as with Dell).

Someone else may have a bit more time than me at the moment, but help is available, and many fixes are fairly simple.

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 23 May 2015 - 11:01 PM.

#4 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:29 PM

If this is what you want ...... Here it is , "but" be prepared with a coffee and a bit of time to spare, as they do get busy with similar questions ..Have your Model and Serial numbers with you.

Dell Home/Consumer Customer Support ( "friendly agents" ) Monday-Friday 7:00 am to 7:00 pm1-800-624-9897

If you prefer, most of these can be done via the forum here but it will take a bit of time (same as with Dell).

Someone else may have a bit more time than me at the moment, but help is available, and many fixes are fairly simple.

Thank You -

THANKS FOR THE INFO - phone line - I tried to go to the website "chat" but the product has to be working so they can detect your product i.d.  since mine works sporadically but not long enough to log onto their website (if I could figure out how to get there) it is no help - of course I got the letter about THANKS FOR BECOMING  a happy dappy Dell Customer we really appreciate you EXCEPT OF COURSE they don't have any contact info

I shall wait for answers here - I just need to find a way to work on my old decredpid computer until / if I get this brand new one fixed if possible.   The very first issue is the power light - since the screen is black whether its doing something in the background or if its off - I can't tell so how long do you wait for a black screen to finally give the courtesy of letting you know its alive - there is nothing to tell you until it decides to reveal itside

I'm sorry - my animosity is not directed at anyone here MOSTLY its directed at myself for being dumb enough to buy this computer.  Thank you very much for your assistance.   If anyone has any help out of my misery I would appreciate it - If it takes that long on hold my phone battery would run out first for Dell.

I have never had so many problems with a new product.

I MANAGED to get someone on "twitter" from Dell - they want me to send them a VIDEO of the problem.   That's a new one on me - a video of me trying to use a computer that does whatever it wants IF I manage to get to someplace I want to be like Google and I try to conntect it tells me the connection is lost BUT ONLY TO GOOGLE - everything else works  - try to set up face recognition it says the cameras not working even though it is.

Gmail is my main email and I can't log on there but I'm FORCED to log on to hotmail about 15 times an hour

Edited by JayJax, 23 May 2015 - 11:40 PM.

#5 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:54 PM

+1 on the firing squad solution , good call on your part, sounds reasonable and appropriate at the same time.

Thats all  , have a good evening everybody.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:59 PM

+1 on the firing squad solution , good call on your part, sounds reasonable and appropriate at the same time.

Thats all  , have a good evening everybody.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who votes for the firing squad - why do they inflict these IMPROVEMENTS on us all the time?  Why can't they leave well enough alone - several windows programs back were great but they had to IMPROVE.

#7 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Well in all honesty my first choice is usually a thorough pummeling about the face and head area for the responsible party.

This of course eventually leads to dismemberment and body disposal but for a change of pace nothing wrong with pumping the chap full of lead  , not as much cleanup which is a good thing imo.

Edited by herbman, 24 May 2015 - 07:44 AM.

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

I like your suggestion too HERBMAN - basically anything that inflicts pain and misery (like these products do to the consumer) works for me - it should be something that puts his life on hold so he can't do anything else like these programs prevent productivity.

Just as long as it sends a clear message STOP "IMPROVING" PROGRAMS that make life harder for real live people.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

OK, here are a few directions for you ...

First alter your screen setup to Classic Shell version. Download from this linked page.

Now you are working almost like a Windows 7 operates (no Metro screen), but with a few good extras.
I use this version, and have no main screen login password .

Now install Firefox, as per their directions <<<  then please check Internet Explorer as below :

To reset Internet Explorer settings
    1 Close all Internet Explorer windows that are currently open.
    2 Open the desktop, and then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.
    3 Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer for the desktop.
    4 Tap or click the Tools button (or cog at top right side), and then tap or click Internet options.
    Tap or Click the Advanced tab, and then tap or click Reset.
    5 In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.
When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
You will need to restart your Laptop for these changes to take effect.

• Now reopen internet Explorer and follow item 4.
  • in the box shown at the "General" tab enter your home page(s)
  • Under Connections tab, click or tap LAN SettingsThe only the only item that should be ticked is Automatically detect settings
  • Click or tap on OK - OK - Apply and close the box ......... Reboot again

You should have a Windows 7 setup, with access to a Windows 8 Metro Version, only if you wish

Uninstall Chrome in Windows Vista/ Windows 7/ Windows 8
    Close all Chrome windows and tabs.
    Go to the Start menu > Control Panel. (Windows 8 users: Learn how to access the Control  Panel)
    Click Programs and Features.
    Double-click Google Chrome.
    Click Uninstall from the confirmation dialog. If you want to delete your user profile information, like your browser preferences, bookmarks, and history, select the "Also delete your browsing data" checkbox.

Run this first, then I will post a next set of directions -

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:20 PM

First alter your screen setup to Classic Shell version. Download from this linked page.

Now you are working almost like a Windows 7 operates (no Metro screen), but with a few good extras.

Now install Firefox, as per their directions <<<  then please check Internet Explorer as below :

2 Open the desktop, and then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.
    3 Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer for the desktop.
    4 Tap or click the Tools button (or cog at top right side), and then tap or click Internet options.
When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.

• Under Connections tab, click or tap LAN SettingsThe only the only item that should be ticked is Automatically detect settings

You should have a Windows 7 setup, with access to a Windows 8 Metro Version, only if you wish

Go to the Start menu > Control Panel. (Windows 8 users: Learn how to access the Control  Panel)
    Click Uninstall from the confirmation dialog. If you want to delete your user profile information, like your browser preferences, bookmarks, and history, select the "Also delete your browsing data" checkbox.

This is great if I can get to a spot where I have some control - I'll see what happens and update here.    So far it only mostly goes to aol.com (makes me sign in) - it doesn't start out on the home page screeen.   Anyway I will definitely try these out. It takes me longer than normal to do this stuff with it locking up and restarting and doing its own thing.

If I ever get to talk with Dell I could ask them if these programs are genuine or something else - another miracle I wish for probably.

In the meantime though a couple of things have come to my attention and I want to ask if anyone knows if these are legitimate services or did I somehow already get some crap  The problem is this being a new computer, a new operating system and a new manufacturer I can't be really sure if something is legit or not. 

One is something called DRIVER SUPPORT - I thought I removed it because I think its one of those things that get plastered on with something else.   But now I got an email from them so I need to see if they are still on.   Another reason I don't trust it is when I was trying to remove it - while it installed really fast it was slow taking at least 5 minutes or so to remove which is usually what those things do in my experience - and then it was asking if I'm sure, yada yada - now I have an email asking do I still want help.

The other which I'm less certain about is maybe an "app": (I'm a newbie about all this app stuff)  I Its a an app or FACE RECOGNITION program - it might be legit not sure - I will post the name of it next time I try to get on later tonight - right now I am on my other computer

Is there some kind of Face Recognition that is standard to Windows 8 or Dell? that anyone knows about?  I'll get the actual name and post it - thanks.

I want to find out especially the face recognition thing if it is legit I can see where it might be helpful but since they say I have an update I'm wanting to check into it before I get further entwined with it.

I hate it that you can't even have your computer the way you want it there's always somebody with another trick to get some stuff added on.

It did come with that security program but right away I got rid of it seems like it was a pain before always bugging you to do something.  

McAfee - I think it used to be good but now its a pain.

Edited by JayJax, 24 May 2015 - 11:26 PM.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:32 PM

Well - did a google search on Driver Support and it appears to be a virus of some sort - NOT LEGITIMATE - so I need to get it off ASAP  - There was so much new stuff downloading tons of updates from Microsoft initially I think somehow it slipped in.

• Company Information for Driver Support is a couple years old:
  • Address:
    • 9433 FM 2244 Building 1 Suite 255
    • Austin TX 78733
  • Phone:(512) 373-3518
  • Additional Employees: No known Employees

NOTE SAYS Driver Support has been found to be bundled with 3rd party software.

ANOTHER Spyware site says its a legitimate program - maybe they are fakes too or maybe it is - WHO KNOWS?

Of all the nerve EMAILING ME - criminal minds :tophat:

I had a problem with something I downloaded from CNET about a year or two ago - it turned out to have some] "ADD-ONS" along with it.     I USED TO TRUST CNET but not anymore - here's a good reason why.

CNET has posted a link on its website to download and "try" this software   (DRIVER SUPPORT) which I think is a disservice to the people they propose to want to help.

AND THE CLINCHER FOR ME is that CNET shows it with a 4-star rating which sounds fake to me based on what I've experienced and read.

Edited by JayJax, 25 May 2015 - 12:04 AM.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:22 AM

You seem to be doing a bit of very good research on your own so far.

Is your computer "stable enough" to run a few quick programs, and we can continue from there ??

This will give us a look at how updated it is with your Antivirus Antimalware and other programs.

Download Screen317 Security Check from Here or Here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
  • Please Copy/Paste the contents of that document.

Note 1:: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to
Note 2. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message, (or similar) restart computer and Security Check should run

McAfee (when preinstalled) is hard to remove, but it can be done with a bit of effort ...... I even contacted them to remove it off mine, and there is still regestry keys not removed yet.

Well - did a google search on Driver Support and it appears to be a virus of some sort - NOT LEGITIMATE - so I need to get it off ASAP

It would help if you make a note of the sites that say what is good, and what is not..

Is it "DriverSupport" or "Driver Support" (note the space in the middle). I would remove both if I saw them ..
Can you get to Control Panel > Programs and Features (looks a lot like Windows 7)

On the Start menu (for Windows 8, right-click the screen's bottom-left corner), click Control Panel, and then, under Programs, do one of the following:
     Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall a Program.
When you find the program Driver Support, click it, and then do one of the following:
     Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall.
Follow the prompts. A progress bar shows you how long it will take to remove Driver Support.

EDIT - I like this line ..............

Additional Employees: No known Employees

Edited by noknojon, 25 May 2015 - 12:27 AM.

#13 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

Seems most newer laptops come with some form of facial recognition sofware - my Toshiba Satellite had it.  It's to make logging in easier.  I removed it just because I didn't care for that method of logging in.  I don't think it's a Windows feature; every manufacturer seems to call it something different.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

Please continue with this, and update us with the efforts so far ......

Uninstall FastAccess entry, or "Facial Recognition on a Dell with Windows 8 or 8.1

1. Press the Windows key+E on the keyboard- Opens browser window
  2. Click the “View tab” on that top of the browser window
  3. Look for “Hidden devices” and check the box next to it
  4. Next, look in the center pane for “Devices and drives
  5. Double-click on the “Local Disk C:” drive to open it
  6. Locate and double-click on the now unhidden file directory- ProgramData
  7. Locate and double-click on Dell folder
  8. Locate and double-click on Digital Delivery folder
  9. Locate and double-click on Downloads folder
  10. Locate and double-click on Software folder
  11. Locate and double-click on FastAccess Facial Recognition folder
  12. Left-click on the FastAccess installer(FAInstall_4.xxx.xxx.exe), then right-click on it and select “Delete” from the right hand menu
  13. Confirm to delete

Next…..Uninstall FastAccess ( Dell Facial Recognition Software )

1.            Open control panel

2.            Select Programs and Features

3.            Locate the FastAccess entry and double-click on it

4.            FastAccess installer/setup box will show- Press the next button

5.            Select the “Remove all config files”- Press next button

6.            Accept all of the prompts during the uninstall to complete the process

7.            Reboot once the uninstall completes

Important : Have you Reset your Browsers and Home Page, and has this worked for you so far ??

#15 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:21 PM

Actually somehow - with the help of Firefox and synced accounts I have gotten my computer around to being workable.   Now I have access to my bookmarks and passwords etc.    I have an android tablet which has Windows 8 though and it is forever giving me problems - would the steps you outlined here work on an android?

One question I cannot figure out is that on my new laptop when I start up it almost always goes to a login screen for hotmail and since I hardly use it would be much better to go the main screen.

I had lots of problems this morning with the new laptop to the point I was having to turn it off several times at which point a most helpful screen appeared from Dell asking if I wanted to reset my computer which would get rid of all the STUFF added on so I gave it a try - it got rid of my the Face Recognition software (but not the McAfee - I did manage to remove it though - it was always interfering too oftenI)  I caught it this time - I see how I got the FAce recognition add-on - it was a "suggestion" from Dell I caught this time and declined.  The reset was helpful anyway.

I'm very much a fan for the time being at least of Synced Accounts with Firefox - I wonder though, suppose that my computer was stolen would I be able to unsync the stolen one?   I had a computer stolen once before - it happens even in your own home - intruders helping themselves.

I'm still not sold on Windows 8 for sure but I think I'm going to take a break from changes and the accompanying stress and chill a while - have some other stuff to attend to - I have inherited sort of a stray dog that seems very well-behaved but lost or discarded.   I have to try to figure out how to deal with this - she doesn't work well with mine because they (not she) do too much barking about her.   still I[m trying to feed and water  I am not at all impressed with the local dog catcher or the holding facilities and I really want to find another solution maybe a dog rescue group.  Throw in a dental emergency and I need a break.

I do like the link you supplied with Windows how to access Control Panel - its very useful.

Anyway - I've had this android for over a year and have never been able to use it so I'd like to try these steps IF it will work on a tablet?   Thanks.  I do appreciate your suggestions and may follow-up on them but for now I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie (not including the stray).   Anybody want a nice well-behaved black lab?

Edited by JayJax, 26 May 2015 - 11:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users