Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what to back up / what not to back up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 barry cohen

barry cohen

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

Barry  I want   to back up my C drive to my D drive [300 gigs free]. I just want the important stuff, operating sys etc not all my vids, picts, music and docs as there already backed up.Last back up was 115 gigs.  I only want the critical stuff. win7 64 bit home premium .    thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

What program did you use to back up that produced 115GB file?

Please...Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

That will save a lot of questions/answers.

Louis 

Edited by hamluis, 24 May 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#3 barry cohen

barry cohen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

I used the windows 7 backup program.  I looked at speccy that Ive used for years all looks normal.  Sorry i don't know how to post picts.  barry

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:37 PM

If you read the instructions...you will see that I ask for a link, not a graphics image.  All you have to do is...follow the instructions provided.

Louis

#5 barry cohen

barry cohen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:21 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/A6D1JPLJAFKUznXevMSVsCl

thank you louis

#6 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:50 PM

I'm doing the same thing like you, backing up system only to an external hard drive. But I'm using easeus todo backup freeware. There's a feature named "system backup", with which I don't manually select each system files to backup. The utility just do the job itself.

it is OK to save the system backup file on D drive.  If the system crashes, you can still build a bootable disk to recover the backup file from D drive.

I downloaded it from here: http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

EaseUS ToDo is a fine product...but the OP did not request a recommendation for a backup program.

For the sake of simplicity...and based on room available on D:...I would just back up the entire Toshiba drive...which, BTW, appears to have some immediate potential for failing because it carries a "warning" per Speccy.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 May 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#8 barry cohen

barry cohen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

Barry    Thank you all.   I followed advice from Louis and backed up using Bailifei's recomendation ToDo EaseUS.  Was about 100 gigs but I still have room to spare.  Usually if  I have a problem I surf  the blogs but this time I needed professional help. 
Thanks LOUIS,  BAILIEFEI ...........Barry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users