Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with setting default audio device w/ px22 headset

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 john.sez

john.sez

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

Hi guys,

I've been using my Turtle Beach px22 headset with no problems for a while now, but a few days ago, I've been having issues with audio cutting out through them. I first noticed it in .mp4 files I made using movie maker (after having to download Windows Essentials), but noticed it happened in games and even Youtube videos (if they get quiet enough).

Now, I know this isn't a new problem, as there are various threads out there and even this page from the manufacturer's website explaining how to fix it: http://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/830517562/ However, when I set the default as anything other than the headset, I can't hear anything out of them.

A headset using a normal jack works just fine, while the headset I'm having problems with uses a usb connector. I've made sure all my drivers are up to date.

When I go to "playback devices," I see "Speakers / Headphones 0 Realtek High Definition Audio," "Realtek Digital Output - Realtek High Definition Audio," and, "Speakers - Turtle Beach PX22."

Any help is appreciated,

thanks,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

Hello, and Welcome

I am not sure this will help but because you are using a USB connection try disabling USB selective suspend and see if that helps. This is for Windows 7.

#3 john.sez

john.sez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:02 PM

That didn't seem to do anything, unfortunately

Also, when I go to test the microphones I hear the test sound being played just fine. I am using Windows 7.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:20 PM

If the headset is listed as Realtek HD audio go to Control Panel and select Large or Small icons. Look for Realtek HD Manager. You may have to play around with the settings in the Manager. Just make a note of what the settings are before changing them.

#5 john.sez

john.sez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:32 PM

The headset I'm using is listed under "Speakers - Turtle Beach PX22." Something might have changed when I unplugged the stereo from my computer for use with a synthesizer. It used to be that, when I plugged in my headset, the sound would stop playing from the stereo and start playing from the headset, as it should have.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

You may want to try using a powered USB hub. Other than that I am out of ideas on this, sorry. Another forum member with more experience on this topic hopefully will post some ideas.

#7 john.sez

john.sez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for your help so far. Apparently, skype message notification sounds can play through the headset, but not anything else that know of. The skype sound did not play through the stereo, only the headset.This is the only sound I have heard from my headset without having it set as the default playback device.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

I just watched a video on setting up the PX22 with Realtek HD audio and both speaker and Headset were listed as default playback device, the headset being listed as default communication device. Not sure if you have see it. It may give some clues. The creator of the video says he will help with any problems.

#9 john.sez

john.sez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:21 PM

I saw that one as well, and I have it set up the exact same way. The reason skype works through my headset is because skype uses its own audio settings, where the headset is set as default. The thing that annoys me most is that everything was working fine until now. It could have been unplugging the stereo from the computer, it could have happened while I was using/updating windows movie maker. Either way, the headset should be able to be used while having Realtec set as the default playback device.

Edited by john.sez, 23 May 2015 - 09:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users