Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lock out??

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

It would seem history may repeat itself, remembering back o the anti trust suits.  Does lock out seem to fall into this category.  Once you load 10 you are locked, to me that should be illegal taking your right o change away from you!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

This could start a trend. Buy a coffee machine; it only lets you use one specific brand. Or an automobile manufacturer only allowing one specific brand of gasoline.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

You can always run Linux? :halloween:

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

I like most will migrate to 10, I am not happy with the fact of not being able to revert to 7 or possibly run another OS if unhappy.  I was expecting some intelligent conversation on he legalities I guess it is not forth coming!  Reading the several MS anti trust suits seems as if they may get hit again, being as they are trampling our rights again.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:01 AM

When you mention "you are locked once you load 10", do you mean this in regards to being unable to use the 10 license key to switch back to an older microsoft OS, or do you mean that you think it will fully lock down the UEFI/BIOS with some sort of "secure" boot feature which will violate a user's freedom to boot a whole other OS (be it linux or an older windows OS which they still have a key for and didn't upgrade to 10, as in a user has a machine with windows 7 installed but he still has some windows 8 installation discs with their own key lying around)?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

I not sure if any of my stuff will be affected being older, but I would like to know that I can if necessary revert back to 7.  My point which seems to be missed is what about the masses, will or will they not be locked in? 

From what I have read it seems so, if in fact that is the case then will MS be facing another anti trust suit.  Most of the Gazillion MS users may care less, but the types that hang out on the boards and wish to have the freedom to do as they wish.  Not much was said about 8 PE, but 10 being touted as the last OS that may change.

#7 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

I like most will migrate to 10, I am not happy with the fact of not being able to revert to 7 or possibly run another OS if unhappy.  I was expecting some intelligent conversation on he legalities I guess it is not forth coming!  Reading the several MS anti trust suits seems as if they may get hit again, being as they are trampling our rights again.

You will be able to run any OS that can legally run on a Windows Intel machine. You will be able to to install and use any OS you own a license to or Linux. Apple will install with tweaks but it's a violation of their license agreement to run on a windows machine.

There will be no locking out or down.  Previous Windows versions were more locked down by the OEM then MS. in the past MS issued the license to the OEM and when you purchased they license windows to you but MS does the activation. 

Edited by orlbuckeye, 28 May 2015 - 01:43 PM.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#8 williamjohnson

williamjohnson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

My next computer will be Linux based. I do not like the trend of working on the cloud as I advocate the right to privacy

#9 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:08 AM

that OS LOCK OUT THING is a waste of life

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:20 AM

My next computer will be Linux based. I do not like the trend of working on the cloud as I advocate the right to privacy

Well, there is both Public & Private Clouds....  but, that is a bit different than what you are talking.  Things in the Cloud are not freely available to all people, btw.

Cheers,

Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

Once you have Windows 10 running smoothly on your system, yuou can dual boot with Windows 7 or triple boot with Windows 10, Windows 7 and Linux. I do not understand what OldPhil is talking about.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

This post has the concerns that several folks have.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570775/windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality/

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

I have read all that before and I still don't understand your concern. You can have two or three different operating system's on your machine if you'd like. I will be dual booting with Linux Mint. Wait a minute, I am dual booting Windows 10 with Linux Mint right now. Maybe I am missing something because I have read several different articles regarding this and I still do not get the same meaning that you do.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

I made reference to this in another thread but, it's fitting, here, to mention it...

Certainly, one can dual & triple boot. Have certainly done it 1st hand a good bit.  Currently, I am running 8.1 & 10 in the same box but, not dual boot.  They can be on the same hardware, well, except for different, physically separate drives for each OS.  They can, then, boot completely as solo acts, independently of each other; not sharing a boot ini or mgr.  It's, definitely, a level better than dual or triple booting; one has no dependency on the other.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 30 May 2015 - 06:21 PM.

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:03 AM

That is how I manage my dual boot scenario, I have each OS on its own hard drive. As far as this lock out thing is concerned, there are always different keystrokes and other software and hardware tweaks to by-pass it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users