Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Now only boot in Safe Mode and getting slower

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jhald

jhald

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

Coming here for assitance as Ihave run multiple scanners with no fixes.

I think there is a virus as I had a couple of random web ad paged come up just before first blue screen crash. The functionality of pc has gotten worse since first BSOD.

Windows Vista 64, sp2

There is an indication in Device Manager of Disc Drive problem. A yellow triangle appers on the "Disc Drive" listing. Upon checking it is indicated that current driver is installed, but there must be a problem with it. I have attempted to run Startup Repair from both Windows and from System Disc, with incomplete results. Either way the scan does not finish.

I have run or attempted to run,

MalwareBytes

Avast aswMBR

TDSS

Hitman Pro

Sophis

Adlice Rogue Killer

Super AntiSpyware

. . . maybe others, as I have been at this for several days.

Attached is files from BSOD run

But cannot attach PERFMON output as all I get is an error, "cannot run" when attempting to run.

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   177.44KB   3 downloads

Error attempting PERFMON is:

"The system cannot find path specified".

I can only access in Safe Mode, and very slowly.

ThanksAttached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   177.44KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhald

jhald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

I am also trapped not being able to install some new .exe files as the Windows Installer has stopped and indicated cannot be started in Safe Mode, and it will not boot in standard Mode.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

Try these free hardware diagnostics for starters (try the Hard Drive diagnostics first):  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please be sure to test ALL hard drives - and make note of all of the one's that are detected (I'm trying to find more info on the PCMCIA device)

These 2 devices have problems in Device Manager:

Microsoft PS/2 Mouse    ACPI\PNP0F03\4&14DDEF44&0    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

Disk drive    ROOT\PCMCIA\0000    This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.

If you're using a USB mouse, it's OK to ignore the error about the PS/2 Mouse.

As for the disk drive, please note that it's for a PCMCIA device.  I presume that this is a Gateway GT5676 computer?  If it's not, let me know as the discussion about the PCMCIA device will be from the specs for this computer.

Please note on this page ( http://panam.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1015332R/1015332Rsp2.shtml ) that there are no PCMCIA cards installed from the factory.

Do you have another card installed that has a PCMCIA slot/device?  If so, please remove it (using anti-static precautions) and see if that fixes the problem.

If not, I suspect that there's a corruption in the way that the system is identifying it.

I'd suggest:

- making a System Restore point

- then right click on the device and select "Uninstall".  If it prompts to remove driver software, check that box also

If you're able, please unplug the cable to the front card reader ports from the motherboard.

If you're unsure about how, don't do this - this is just a hunch on my part.

You have AdAware AntiVirus, AVG, and MalwareBytes installed.  They may be conflicting with each other.
Please uninstall the AdAware AntiVirus and ensure that the AVG is fully updated.

Please also remove MalwareBytes (I can't tell if it's running in memory, so this is just to be sure).  Should you want to reinstall it, be sure to NOT opt in for the trial of the PRO version (as that's the part that causes it to run in memory)

Finally, please include this report to help us figure this out:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

To summarize, please follow what I said.  Just do it line by line.

Write back to confirm the results of the hardware testing

The results of what you've done

And the final report that I asked about.

Good luck!

PS - the OS was originally installed in 2008.  It may be getting to be time to reinstall Windows.

As such, please be sure that you have backed up your stuff and that you've located your Gateway recovery disk(s).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jhald

jhald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

Crap, I just lost all typing from the last hour . . must have hit a magic flush key!!

So,  will type elsewhere and paste . . . again. 

Here is where I am . . .

It is a Gateway GT5676.

I am using a USB mouse.

I have not been able to set a Restore Point in Safe Mode, as I tried earlier today.

I had it go back to a earlier Restore Point earlier today, no change.

I had stopped a running Startup Repair scan that had been running for a couple of hours to do what you suggested above. The last ime I ran this a few days ago it ran for about 30 hours and appeared stuck.

Now pc will not Boot at all after many attempts.

Watching the scrolling screen of Loading Windows Files, each time it stops at the line - DRIVERS\AtiPcie.sys  - then goes black, with mouse pointer functioing.

After several boot attempts I disconnected the card readers and the Portable Drive Bay, no change.

I looked at the Gateway page and don't see or understand about PCMCIA card . . will research.

The only hardware changes to this PC have been, adding RAM to 8GB several years ago, replacing power supply a few years ago, and replacing the main hard drive 4 months ago.

New hard drive is Hitachi Ultrastar HUA723020ALA641 – 2TB, which has been working fine.

I have looked at the hard drive diagnostics page and this will take me some time to get my head around, as it look like I must look up something for each hard drive to make a boot disc.

So, right now not able to boot up at all. As I have been working on this, it seems booting up has been getting more and more difficult, which is why I thought about a virus. ''

So, any more ideas would be helpful, I will look to see if I can figure out the diagnostic thing . . . unless there is a more straight forward tool that is bootable.

Edited by jhald, 24 May 2015 - 10:18 PM.

#5 jhald

jhald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:04 PM

Looking at the pages for the diagnostic, seems I am missing something.

Is there a program that I load the manufacturers .iso file onto that directs the diagnosis, or do I just load the .iso file alone, and it will boot up and run diagnosis?

#6 jhald

jhald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:45 AM

I have done some digging on the issuw of the Windows Files loading stopping on DRIVERS\AtiPcie.sys

Seems this could be an issue.

See:

http://windowsforum.com/threads/information-on-boot-problem-and-atipcie-sys.190389/

- this is a video where he basically talks about correcting the issue by setting the RAM voltage to the exact reguired rather than on auto.

http://superuser.com/questions/515411/how-to-uninstall-amd-display-driver-from-other-install-of-windows

- here they mention more . . "But based on your description, it sounds more likely that the problem is with your actual hardware; you may have overclocked your CPU too far, undervolted your RAM, and/or burned out your video card."

What is your suggestion?

I will try to run Startup Repair again from the system Disc.perhaps to get access to thge drivers are the above mentions.  (last time I left it running for 30 hours, appeared to hang up)

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:11 AM

jcgriff2 found that there are dump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump directory - but they weren't gathered by the jcgriff2 app.  And researching this he found lot's of problems that are suggestive of a corrupt operating system.

If unable to fix things with Startup Repair, then I'd seriously consider a fresh, clean install of the operating system.

If you haven't backed up your data, you may be able to slave the hard drive to another computer and backup/copy the data that way.

A fresh, clean install will accomplish one of 2 things:

1)  If successful, it'll fix the OS corruption problems

2)  If unsuccessful, it'll let us know that the problem is most likely in a hardware device.

Clean install instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/canned.html#clean

Hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Hardware stripdown diagnostics (done after the Hardware diagnotics):  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 jhald

jhald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

Hmmm, ok, this will take a while . . I will be gone all day

Thanks

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:55 AM

Not a problem.  I get notified by email when you reply to this topic.

Good luck!

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

That video is helpful. However, there are a more things to concider. The bios could of lost it's settings due to a low voltage bios battery. So the video card would not be running at the tweaked voltage settings because the bios is now defaults. Furthermore, another issue with Phenom II x4 cpu's is that they are memory rated for 1333 and have locked multipliers. If you have 1600 memory and run them at 1600 this is overclocking the cpu and will make the system unstable. When the system crashes the bios will revert back to a default state. Usually these system crashes occur during gaming when the cpu and graphics cards are running full clock speed and voltages. Another issue is unstable voltage and is PSU related.

#11 jhald

jhald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

I have not yet had time to work on this yet but will tonight.

With so many possibilities, all of which I have never delved into much, and not knowing what affects what, it seems I ought to see if I can eliminate the hardrive itself as a problem.

I have another unused machine I can plug it into to see if it will boot up, and if so, perhaps run diagnostics on it then.

And I am still not clear about how to set up and run the diagnostic I asked about previously.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:16 AM

Just follow the instructions line-by-line on the diagnostics page.

If you get to a line that you don't understand, post back here and ask about it.

#13 jhald

jhald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:15 AM

I got the Hitachi diagnostic .iti burned on a cd. (main driver is Hitachi Ultrastar HUA723020ALA641  - 2 TB )

When choosing to boot from cd, the screen remains black, but the cd drive light flickers indicating operation, and after a while

I heard the Hard Drive get active. Is it runningor ?? 

So, does the diagnoatic start up automatically?

And a while after the cd light stops blinking, the system restarts . . not sure if an actiual purposeful program related restart of just a crash, as only black screen.

I will get into DOS and see if I can get to the files on the cd to see if there is a report. . . or maybe just open it on another machine.

I am going to persue the potential driver issue as the BSOD reveals a driver issue as well. I finally got down the file name, atikmdag.sys, which is an ATI/AMD driver that seems to be a known issue.

So both drivers raising a flag are graphics drivers, AtiPcie.sys and atikmdag.sys

My next question is, what is best way to delete existing and install new drivers through DOS?

I found a small program someone made to do this, so will look into that. 

I did get into some system stats . ..

CPU temp is running 109 - 111 deg

Ambient temp is running 109 - 111 deg F

Voltages -

Core  - 1.264

1.1  -  1.104

3.30 - 3.291 to 3.273    fluctuates

5.00  - 5.113 to 5.140   fluctuates

12.0  - 11.776

5 usb - 4.950

VBAT - 3.344

If any of that look as a concern let me know.

Edited by jhald, 28 May 2015 - 01:16 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

Please zip up the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump (you may have to copy it to the Desktop in order to zip it up).

Then upload it with your next post.

I cannot recall - have you uninstalled the PCMCIA drive from Device Manager?  If so, did it come back after you rebooted?

It appears that the Hitachi diagnostic didn't run - if it had, you'd have had to make some choices on the screen.

I'd suggest trying the Seatools long/extended test.

I prefer the bootable DOS version - but you can also use the Windows version

If you're having problems with 2 video drivers - then I think that you should be doing these things:

- update your video drivers to the latest, Windows Vista version available from http://www.amd.com

- running diagnostics on the video card itself (there's 2 sets of free video diagnostics at http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Removing drivers through DOS is very easy.  Just rename them to .BAK or .BAD (I use CAPITALS to make them stand out in the directory listing)

BUT, it can render your system unbootable.  Keep track of what you've done so that you can rename them back if the system doesn't boot.

Installing drivers through DOS is very difficult and complicated.
I gave up on this years ago (too much trouble for something that may not even work - or may screw up the system even more) - and I haven't seen anyone advising how to do this.

The information is available online - start here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff550419%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I do recall that there were programs that would enable installers in Safe Mode.  Again, try searching online for it.

Another option is to try a clean boot and see if you can get into normal mode that way ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 )

I prefer temperatures in Celcius (as most of the specifications are listed in Celcius).  Converting from Farenheit isn't difficult, it just adds an extra step.

In this case, temps around 111ºF equate to approximately 44ºC - not very hot.

As for the voltages, I'm not expert at this so I only look for huge differences (which I didn't see).
I'd post over in the hardware forums for more expert advice on that.

FYI - I deal with stock systems.  I was an avid overclocker years ago.  Overclocked systems tend to spit out BSOD's - so I ask that all systems that I work on be reset to stock values.  That way the results of the tests are more predicatable.  Then, once the system is stabilized, you can add the overclock back in and see how it works.  BTW - that's also the way to troubleshoot an overclock - set it back to stock and see if the problem recurs.

Edited by usasma, 28 May 2015 - 07:20 AM.

#15 jhald

jhald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

Seems i may have a problem doing the above as all I am getting is a black screen, no desktop,

I am getting into DOS by hitting F2 at boot, and going to CMOS Setup screen. 

I have not done anything with PCMCIA drive as I don't know what it is. Is it the listing that just says, "Hard Drive" in the Device Manager? I thought that is one of those small drive bays usually in laptops, which this pc does not have.

Again, I need to know how to do all this in DOS, or a way to at least get into Safe Mode. . . and get the pc connected online to update or send anything.

I am still perplexed with how the pc got worse and worse at booting up into Safe Mode, now not at all. If a Driver was bad, would it keep getting worse?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users