Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It All Started When My Screen Went Blank

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 baabel

baabel

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

It All Started When My Screen Went Blank

A little while ago my screen would go blank.  It would only happen when I had Internet Explorer open. I would then get a Blue Screen and words about a memory dump, and my computer would reboot.

Sometime later, I began to get a second type of problem – this one involving partial failures of Internet Explorer.

I would get a message saying "Internet Explorer has stopped working.  Windows is checking for a solution to this problem".

This may happen when I try to close a window or go back to an earlier page.  It may happen when I am in an e-mail typing page. If am on an e-mail writing pane, I have lost the unsent e-mail.  It happens often enough when I am simply reading a web page.

I am usually able to go back to the earlier page but I then often get this message in a yellow and white banner at the bottom:

“A problem with this webpage caused internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab.”

It’s happening fairly often.  It also happens more often on some websites than others.  It never happens when I use Firefox

I posted this topic in a Bleeping Computer Browser forum and it was picked up by hamluis (Louis).

Louis had me collect information and make a few changes.  Since this did not solve the problem he moved the topic to the “Am I Infected?” forum.  There, Alexstrasza (Alex) had me go through multiple processes and make various changes in Internet Explorer.. 

No definite infection was found and the problems continued.  Although the websites work somewhat better now, they still often fail, and I still get some blue screens.  It is very annoying. After she did what she could in the search for infections, Alex decided that was not the cause of my problem and she suggested I now move to this forum.

I attach the Zip of SysnativeFileCollectionApp. 

I was able to open Performance Monitor and Resource Monitor and view a few items. Unfortunately I could locate no option to save any of the information.

Here is some system information:

Windows 7    –    64 bit

This was the original installed OS on the system.

The OS is an OEM version. ·

Dell XPS 8500 – I really cannot remember which year i bought it.

I have never reinstalled the OS.

Can you help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jared44

Jared44

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

Okay, well I'm not seeing any dump files in the collection folder.

I can see your BSODs in the event log though.

Event[14410]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
  Date: 2015-04-01T19:29:44.000
  Event ID: 1001
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: anonymous-PC
  Description: 
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff88001b27c1d, 0xfffff8801159d930, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 040115-25958-01.

System service exception with an access violation, we'll need to dig deeper.

A Kernel memory dump should be present.

Go the Start
Right click My Computer
Select Properties
Click Advanced system settings
Click on the Advanced tab
Select Settings under Startup and Recovery
Then under Write debugging information select Kernel memory dump.

Once a dump is created go to:
C:/Windows/memory.dmp
Copy the file to the desktop, zip it up and upload it to a file sharing site like Onedrive. After the upload is done post the download link in your next reply.

Edited by Jared44, 23 May 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#3 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

Thank you, Jared.

I checked the settings and apparently my computer was already set to save to Kernel memory dump.

I will now resume the things that appeared to cause the most problems, specifically one or two particular websites on IE and using one particular e-mail reader.  I will see if any BSOD's or any Internet Explorer failures occur.

After I made the setting changes in IE that Alex suggested each of the two above events occurred less frequently.

Nonetheless they have still occurred..  Also, I am concerned that I have had to make changed in IE to make it work and that I may be obscuring a different problem by doing so.

I will see what happens next.

Thanks.

#4 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

I am fascinated to report that I have had no IE failures and no blue screens since posting this topic.

Fascinating because the improvements did not occur when I made the changes that Alex suggested, but days later.

Right now the only minor problem I see is that a green button that appeared in IE when I switched from Avast Free to Avast Paid no longer works (it told me which sites were tracking me in some way I think but am not positive).  Now when I click it I get the message:  "An error has occurred in a script on this page.   Invalid character".   I don't know the significance of this but otherwise everything in IE seems to work now.

I will continue using the website where I had the most problems and the e-mail reader where I had the most problems as well, and see what happens.

#5 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

And I just had my first episode in a while of the message "Internet Explorer has stopped working".

Edited by baabel, 28 May 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#6 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:27 AM

IE stopped working today but I was able to stay on the page; I guess it fixed itself.

Also, I have noticed that I can no longer play a video on Facebook when I use IE but I can play a video on Facebook if I open it in Firefox.

#7 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:37 AM

Today web pages are slow to open on IE, sometimes very slow.

When I switch to Firefox they open fine.

Still can't watch videos on Facebook on IE but can on Firefox.

Any ideas?

#8 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:28 PM

I just had another Blue Screen. 

What information do you need me to collect?

#9 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:01 AM

I just had another Blue Screen. 

What information do you need me to collect?

Re-run the Sysnative file collection app. Attach the newer set of logs for review.

#10 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:39 AM

Here it is.

A thought occurred to me. Will my previously running ccleaner remove any information needed for this log?

#11 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

Here it is - I forgot to click "Attach This File" the first time !

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:24 AM

Yes, CCleaner will often remove needed information/reports.

But it depends on the actual settings that you use in it.

Edited by usasma, 14 June 2015 - 07:25 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

If I get another BSOD I will make sure to run SysnativeBSODCollectionApp  before  I run ccleaner.

In the meantime I hope the above log I attached has some useful information.

#14 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

There's still not any BSOD logs to review.

Have you read this yet? BSODs but no Dump Files?

Also Jared recommended doing this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577148/it-all-started-when-my-screen-went-blank/#entry371454

Edited by thisisu, 14 June 2015 - 04:22 PM.

#15 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:53 AM

I will make the necessary changes as soon as I am back at the computer in question.

Also, if I get another BSOD I will run Sysnative BEFORE I run CCleaner!

Thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users