Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Pictures from Broken Old Sprint Flip Phone?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FullMe7alJacke7

FullMe7alJacke7

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

Hello, I have a sprint flip phone here that my girlfriend has saved for years because it has pictures on it, the problem is the phone is broken in half, as in I have a screen half and a keyboard half and the keyboard still works, and I am assuming the phone still works because it lights up when I plug it into a computer and it  attempts to install the drivers on my computer, but I can't see it on my computer, but when I go to device manager I see it listed, however it says that there are no installed drivers... So does this mean that the install attempt failed?  The phone is listed under "Other Devices" and is named LG CDMA USB Modem.

I am unsure on how to proceed with this situation, as I do not want to install a bunch of drivers on my computer or something I don't need, so if anyone knows of how I can accomplish this I would love to hear it!
I found a solution on Youtube but alas that does not work with phones that do not have a mini hdmi plug, as this phone only has the power, headphones, and micro SD slots.

All I care about is retrieving these pictures so I can get rid of the phone, because I am secretly making her a scrap book and I think it would blow her mind if I can get these pictures off of here, because sprint told her they are lost and she has tried several times!

Any information would be appreciated greatly, thank you.

Edited by FullMe7alJacke7, 23 May 2015 - 01:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

I would try going to a phone store that handles that make see if they can pull them off.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 FullMe7alJacke7

FullMe7alJacke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:41 PM

I tried, as previously stated, sprint said it is a lost cause, but based off of my previous experience with these "tech geeks" employed for FireDog, Geek Squad, Apple Geniuses , etc.... They don't really know all that much and the things I have been told by them in the past have been proven wrong, so I am sorry I have lost faith them. I tried talking to Cell Phone Repair about it and he said they don't do it anymore because it is too much of a hassle for them to do it.

I find it hard to belelive there is nothing I can do, to me it seems like as if you broke your laptop in half, your hard drive is still there and intact, you just have no visual display.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:08 AM

Bummer!  Have you tried any of the drivers that show up on Goolge?  Under LG phone drivers Windows a bunch of stuff comes up maybe one will work.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:23 AM

What is the model number of the LG phone? It should be shown in the battery compartment. LG does have drivers for the LG CDMA USB Modem. Right click the device in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select HardwareIDs. Copy and post the first line.

#6 FullMe7alJacke7

FullMe7alJacke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

Model number = LX610
Second line is = USB\VID_1004&PID_6000

I have googled them but as I said before I haven't really tried downbloading every driver I see because I'm ODC about how cluttered my system is lol. I will do more research now and se what I can find

After installing the drivers, it appears it is still not showing up, I will keep fiddling with it but the new hardware ID = USB\VID_1004&PID_6000_MODEMInterface

Edited by FullMe7alJacke7, 24 May 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:21 AM

This is the cable you used to connect to the PC, correct?

Here is the manual. On page 72 it says you can use the File Manager to save photos to a SD card. If there is a SD card in the phone and photos have been stored to it you could take it out and put it in a PC with a card reader or use a USB adapter (page 80). Page 83 says no driver is needed for Vista or XP but on the phone you need to select Tools > MassStorage > Connect to PC before the PC will recognize the phone.

Hopefully it is simply attaching the SD card to a PC.

#8 FullMe7alJacke7

FullMe7alJacke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

As much as I was hoping it would be easy it seems like it won't be, as the pictures are stored on the phones internal memory not on an seperate SD card, that was the first thing I checked lol.... is there a way to make a usb mini such as the one you linked above, with some kind of adapter switch it over to hdmi? or is that kinda not possible? If I can get the screen to appear on a diffirent device I can turn that function on, other wise I will have to find a way to make the PC force the settings some how, like using adp.push or something similar but since it is pre-android I am stuck....

What about an adapter that could plug into the phones SD card slot to read the internal phone memory through the SD port?

would it be possible to some how connect This to the phone and to my laptop, wich is touch screen to make the phone show up through the laptop? If not how about plugging it into a TV and some how attaching a mouse to navigate the phone? I would imagine if I could find an MicroUSB to dual MicroUSB cable in combination with the microUSB to HDMI and a MicroUSB to USB plug in a mouse to the phone and the phone into a TV

I imagine I would need something like this, except the opposite, 2 females to 1 male. Instead this one is 1 femail to 2 males....

Edited by FullMe7alJacke7, 24 May 2015 - 12:11 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:36 PM

I am not sure if the HDMI converter would work but it is a good idea. I am pretty much out of ideas except possibly using bluetooth on the phone to transfer to another phone or PC. See page 100.

#10 FullMe7alJacke7

FullMe7alJacke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

Right, and I still wouldn't be able to use the bluetooth unless I some how get access to use phones screen so I can see where I am at and what I am doing.... I guess I will search the internet for a dual female to singular male microUSB cable and give it a shot, thanks everyone, I will post back with any further findings and the final outcome for others that might be in the same situation or similar.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

From what I have read the phone has to be MHL capable in order to use a MHL adapter to allow use of a TV or Monitor.

http://www.mhlconsortium.org/consumer.aspx

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

Would something like this help? 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/StarTech.com-Micro-SD-to-Micro-USB-USB-OTG-Adapter-Card-Reader-For-Android-Devices-microSD-Card-miniSD-Card-USB-2/40899104?sourceid=csesh020d611560161f4b3bbda37e759bfc6e18&wmlspartner=shoppingcom2&affcmpid=872808476&tmode=0000&veh=cse&sdc_id=1432493137z833895z43073b0a10025z&affjs=1&affwt=popupBlank

#13 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

If it is an Android phone, try these data recovery for android freeware to see if they can scan out something.

But cant guarantee it will work, since you situation is quite complicated.

http://www.easeus.com/android-data-recovery-software/free-android-data-recovery.html

http://www.icare-recovery.com/free/android-data-recovery-freeware.html

http://7datarecovery.com/android-data-recovery/

Edited by Bailifei, 27 May 2015 - 10:19 PM.

#14 FullMe7alJacke7

FullMe7alJacke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

@OldPhil Unfortunatley that will not help

@Bailifei This is not an android phone, it is a pre-android phone. You remember back in the day when they had these "touch screen" phones that were not really touch screen because you could use anything on it unlike phones now a days? Yeah it is that old lol

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

I know this is a kludge but if you could find the key sequence to get to Tools > MassStorage > Connect to PC when the phone is turned on, you may get the PC to detect the phone. Maybe LG could provide that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users