Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10's seven editions are excessive: See which two I'd cut

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:31 PM

Windows Home

Windows Pro

Windows Mobile

Windows Enterprise

Windows Education

Windows Mobile Enterprise

Windows IoT Core

Microsoft announced last week that there will be seven editions of the Windows 10 operating system (OS). When I first learned this information, I was surprised; the way Microsoft has been talking about Windows 10 being the last major upgrade -- plus, the fact that the upgrade will be free for the first year for qualifying devices, and future upgrades will be delivered in an ongoing fashion -- I assumed there would just be a consumer/business edition, a mobile edition, and an enterprise edition.

Article

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 May 2015 - 12:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

In what sense, I agree. The more editions you have of Windows, they more you'll confuse the users who don't know a lot of about Windows. They'll wonder what will fit their needs, and some will just try to get the most "high" edition to have all the "best" features, despite the fact that they won't need them, nor use them. This is the case with people loading Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bits on computers with 2GB and less of RAM, just because Ultimate is the "best" edition of Windows 7.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:39 PM

Same reason why some people use the "Total Security" version of antivirus suites, which is most of the time full of bloat...

#4 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:52 PM

In what sense, I agree. The more editions you have of Windows, they more you'll confuse the users who don't know a lot of about Windows. They'll wonder what will fit their needs, and some will just try to get the most "high" edition to have all the "best" features, despite the fact that they won't need them, nor use them. This is the case with people loading Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bits on computers with 2GB and less of RAM, just because Ultimate is the "best" edition of Windows 7.

Yes but only 2 will be available to the public but those 2 will be available in 64 bit and 32 bit.  Most people that have a machine with 2 GB of ram won't upgrade OS's. Plus Windows 10 will upgrade to the same edition of Windows 7 or 8.1 you have. You don't have a choice unless you pay for an anytime upgrade. I also bet over 75% of the PC's out there that are OEM never changed OS from the day the pc was purchased. Plus someone that wants to buy Ultimate most likely will know why they want it because it does cost more.  

Edited by orlbuckeye, 28 May 2015 - 02:02 PM.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

I know, but a lot of people will try to find a way to get Windows 10 Entreprise just because it'll be the "highest edition". Apparently, it will only be available throught Volume Licencing, which isn't something home users can have. So I suspect home users running it in the future to have an illegal copy of it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

That is silly IMHO. Most people do not go as far as to pirate Enterprise editions of Windows, since it contains functionalities they don't need. In my experience people pirating Windows have always chosen the edition that they could get the most out of - in this case, Professional Edition.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

You would be surprised of the number of people who pirated/pirates Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 Entreprise. Some people even use Entreprise Evaluation on Windows 8/8.1 just to have it. And none of them use any additional features this edition offers.

unite_blue.png

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

If only we can do a survey of what editions of Windows are most commonly pirated, then we can be sure :P but I am sure that discussion is not allowed here in BC.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 28 May 2015 - 02:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users