Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud Whirring Noise?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

So I set my laptop on my desk today, while it was running and suddenly a loud whirring noise began. I don't think I set it down hard at all; rather normally in fact. I rebooted and the noise was gone. Just now I set the laptop on my bed and the whirring started again. The laptop isn't that old.

What should I do?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

I think I would check the temperature first. A convenient tool for doing that: SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

If it is not overheating causing the problem then the next thing I would suspect is the hdd. In that case you're next step would be to backup whatever you want to save.

If you need to clean or check to see if a fan is damaged/ out of balanced  is causing the problem then I suggest you attempt to find a video showing you how to dismantle

your particular make and model of your laptop. Lots of those on Youtube.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

Thanks. I rebooted and the noise is gone. I'll run the Speedfan.

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

The whirring noise is still gone. If I read the Speedfan report correctly the temperature is 43C. Is that normal or high? Also when I installed SpeedFan, a program called TweakBit installed. I removed it. Was that the right thing to do?

Edited by Hal06, 23 May 2015 - 12:30 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:39 PM

That is a cool temp. Yes, TweakBit is an undesirable program to have.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

So, it's running fine since the last reboot. I backed up essentials just in case. No worries unless the noise returns?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

I think it best to assume it was the drive. If it were mine, I would want to be sure that I had a complete image of the drive stored externally or a clone on another drive.

Having that I would continue using the comp until the drive failed or started making more noise.

Windows 7 and 8 have the necessary software for imaging or cloning. If you don't have another 3rd party program for doing that.

Edited by buddy215, 23 May 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

I use widow 7.

By complete image of the drive do you mean just copying Drive C and pasting on an external harddrive? I'd have to do that once a day or week?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

See the info at How to Create a System Image in Windows 7 or 8.x.

An image can be used to reinstall on old drive or install on a new drive.

A clone is an exact duplicate of the old drive. A clone can be created on a HDD the same size or larger....not smaller.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

Be sure to create a System Repair Disc as suggested in the link I provided in my last post. You will need it in order to restore/ install the image on a new drive or the old drive.

#11 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

Thanks!

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

You're welcome...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users