Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive no longer burning dvds or recognizing burnned DVDs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Darin A

Darin A

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:28 AM

I have a toshiba Satellite laptop with many problems so will need to be replaced one day but for the moment I dont have the money.  Recently when I put a burned dvd in the drive it just spins or says its a blank disc.  When I try to burn to a blank disc it says complete but the disc does not play in any device.  Is the drive bad or is there a hope to repair it?  No burned dvds read fine.  This is a Windows 7 Laptop with a TS-L633F internal drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:54 PM

Open the Device Manager and scroll down to DVD/CD-ROM and double click on it.  This is a plug and play item, so just click on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver.  When you restart the computer a new driver will be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Darin A

Darin A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

Still nothing.  I noticed before I did that it is having trouble reading some non burned DVDs.  Also removed Virtual CloneDrive thinking maybe that was interfering with thinking but still no luck.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

Are you getting any error code/s?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Darin A

Darin A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

nope just either says no disc or blank disc

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

My first advice is to try wiping the laser lens with a Q-tip dipped in household isopropyl alcohol. only use when damp not dripping and gently wipe the lens without using much pressure. Then use the opposite end to dry the lens. Make sure you do not leave any fibers from the Q-Tip in the mechanism supporting the laser assembly.

Wait about 5 minutes and try reading a burned disk, if it reads, try burning a new disk and see if it burns the disk.

If both fail, my second advice is to replace the drive, the laser is no longer strong enough to burn or read media discs.

Those drives are not hard to replace, often they are held in place with one or two screws and the whole drive slides out for replacement.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:54 AM

Cleaning the laser in the way that was suggested has one rather large drawback.  The lenses (there are two in a DVD-RW) are suspended in a fashion that if they are tampered with can dislodge them taking them out of alignment.  If this happens, you can pay to have them realigned, but it would be cheaper to buy a new drive.  In most cases you will have to disassemble some of the player in order to access the laser/s.  If the player is under warranty this will void it.   

An alternative is to use a DVD player cleaning kit.  This is a disc with very fine brushes attached to the disc.  You can find these by Googling DVD player cleaning kit.  I've seen these priced from $7.00 US dollars up to around $12.00.

Another consideration is the age of the drive.  As the drive gets older the lenses will discolor which will affect their ability to function.

Do you have any experience in editing the registry?  If this isn't a hardware problem you can try disabling the upper and lower filters.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

First off this is a laptop.

A laptop drive tray exits the laptop exposing the laser assembly.

In my history of using laser cleaning disks, most are gimmicks that do not always work.

Edited to add: Since the laser assembly is exposed when the tray is out, a person's finger prints and oils could be on the lens, the brush of a cleaning disk, can not remove that oil, they are designed to remove dust from the lens, not oils.

If a person was to apply a lot of pressure while cleaning the lens, yes that could misalign the lasers fine-tuned adjustments. Merely passing a damp Q-Tip over the lens without applying a lot of downward pressure can be done safely and in most cases is more effective than a generic cleaning disk.

Now if this was a desktop computer system, the procedure would be entirely different, because that type of drive does not make access to the laser assembly easy and requires a major disassembly of the drive.

The registry edit has also been known to correct problems with CD/DVD drives, however, if that fails to correct the problem, it is either a dirty lens or a tired laser and the drive needs to be replaced.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 May 2015 - 10:44 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 Darin A

Darin A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

Tried the cleaning still no change.  The laptop is a 2011 and also has display problems so not a fan of paying for a new drive.  I have some experience in Registry editing if someone points me to the right keys

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:48 AM

Caution:  The following instructions will involve making changes in the registry, because of the potential danger of damaging the registry with an improper entry, it is important that you back up the registry before starting the registry changes.  Use the following instructions to back up the registry.

To backup the registry please down load and install Tweaking.com Registry Backup.

Play the video below for operating instructions.

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users