Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win98 SE complains "Invalid VxD link call" on boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 x6herbius

x6herbius

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

Hi all,

I decided to have a crack at installing Windows 98 SE on my laptop instead of doing exam revision, for no reason other than that it's a challenge, and have managed to get to the stage where setup has installed the files to a USB stick that I can boot off, following instructions from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qd7cDbtwj4. However, shortly after the Windows 98 logo appears on startup I get the error:

Invalid VxD dynamic link call to device number 3, service B.
Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program again to correct this problem.
Press any key to continue...

I have researched this error message and it looks to either be related to RAM or the CPU. I did already have to edit the system.ini file to limit the amount of RAM to the operating system (if I leave out this edit I get a different boot error saying the amount of RAM is insufficient), so I'm guessing it has something to do with the CPU being too new and incompatible, which I wouldn't be surprised about.

My spec, which admittedly is pretty overkill for Win98, is:

Intel Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.4GHz
P15SM motherboard
8GB DDR3 RAM 798.1MHz
Intel HD Graphics 4600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M 1GB
1TB hard drive

Is it possible to work around the error? Would I have to start doing things like taking RAM out or disabling processor cores? As far as I can see my current BIOS won't let me disable cores, but there could be some updates about that might do. I'd rather not give up and use a VM because I've already accomplished that and I wanted to see if I could get things running natively. :P

Edited by x6herbius, 23 May 2015 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

You shouldn't have to disable cores, Windows 98 doesn't care how many you have and will only use one.

How large is your primary partition that Windows is installed on?

If I recall correctly, I got the same error when the partition was larger than 8GB.

Edited by zcomputerwiz, 23 May 2015 - 08:14 AM.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 x6herbius

x6herbius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:14 AM

Windows 98 itself is installed directly onto the USB, which is 4GB. I do have Windows 7 and Windows 10 Preview installed on the laptop itself but as far as I can see the disk isn't even visible from MS-DOS running live off the USB - possibly because it's SATA.

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

I don't think Windows 98 will run directly from a USB device without some major modifications.

The last time I attempted this I did get it to boot by copying the entire image to a RAMdisk and then booting from that, but for some reason it would nuke the flash drive as soon as the USB drivers loaded so I'd have to rewrite it every time.

Long story short, I don't know of anyone who has made Windows 98 successfully boot from a device attached to USB, but there should be some guides for booting from usb and then running Windows 98 from a ramdisk.

Edited by zcomputerwiz, 23 May 2015 - 08:28 AM.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#5 x6herbius

x6herbius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

I've had a read around at the possibilities of a ramdisk - I'm assuming this would mean running the base installer to the USB (which I did the first time round), then configuring the USB to create a ramdisk on boot, copy the relevant files to the ramdisk and continue the installer from the point where you enter the license key? Only problem would then be that anything written to the ramdisk wouldn't be persistent unless you copied back to the USB on shutdown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users