Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD initialized error O/I is it dead???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 papanikolaou1980

papanikolaou1980

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:05 AM

Hi I have a wd 2tb external hard drive problem (i think its dead) Yesterday my hdd was working fine i powered down went to bed this morning I couldn't find my drive in my computer.
i opened up computer management and selected disk managment. at the top it shows my c drive and system reserved at the bottom it shows the c drive and drive 1 stating its not initialized.(see attached screen shot)
when i tryed to performe this task it gives me an error of the request could not be perfomed due to an I/O error.

i have checked all cables and replaced this hasnt helped.
i downloaded partition find and mount which shows my hdd but states it has 0kb (see attached screen shot).after scan no visable partitions no newpartitions.
i downloaded the wd hdd wizard and tryed to write 0 to the drive this failed.
I downloaded mini tool partition wizard that cant find the drive.(screen shot)
I took the hdd to a computer store he couldnt find it in disk management.
seatools for windows results cant find it
disk checkup ran results in screenshot cant run self test
HDD scan 
all show 0KB no partitions so my question is is it dead???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:08 AM

Hello, and Welcome

What is the model of the WD.

If the drive is not detected, then you would not be able to recover data using software.  Unfortunately, most portable external drives today have the USB port integrated with the drive PCB. It is not a separate USB bridge card. If a separate bridge card you could remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it to another computer using another enclosure or USB adapter. That is why I prefer to purchase a separate standard SATA drive and separate enclosure. I always have the ability to pull the drive if the USB bridge card goes bad.

Here is an image of a portable USB external drive with the integrated USB port as part of the hard drive PCB.

usb-only-western-digital-drive-capacitor

Here is an image of a portable drive with a separate bridge card.

parts-100478529-large.jpg

Another issue is some WD's have a proprietary bridge card that encrypts data so even if can remove the drive from the enclosure, you would not be able to recovery your data.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-self-encrypting-drive-you-may-already-own/

#3 papanikolaou1980

papanikolaou1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:50 PM

I have a 2tb wester digital 3.5"  i have 2

i have taken it out of encloure and installed in new enclosure still same problem.

Disk management finds it but  it just wont initialize it ref error I/O.

I have also tryed attaching it to my desktop but my desktop trys to boot from it and as there are no partitions this wont work either

???

any surgestions

i dont really care about data recovery  i would just like to use this again 

#4 papanikolaou1980

papanikolaou1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:53 PM

sorry forgot to mention HDD was put in new enclosure with new bridge card before problems arose it  worked fine for 24hrs then it  died

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

The only thing I can suggest is download PartedMagic here. Burn the iso file and boot. On the Parted Magic Desktop is a icon called Disk Health or GsmartControl.

Double click that and see if it can detect your drive. Run the short test and see if the drive passes. If the drive is not detected then I would say the drive has failed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users