Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic issues on certain websites/pictures

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 vivapokey

vivapokey

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:26 AM

Hi Guys, hope you can help me here!

I'm having an issue just all of a sudden with images viewed in my browser (only chrome, explorer seems fine). It is happening mostly on facebook but is also on other websites and only seems to happen with images as opposed to the whole screen.

I'll post examples of what I'm talking about. It's like a weird colour saturation. Here's a pic from facebook which is supposed to be really clear (although yes it is black and white): http://i.imgur.com/ImqeCq8.jpg?1

And another example, here is the same picture when viewed from chrome and then from explorer:

chrome: http://i.imgur.com/86PiiRD.jpg?1

explorer: http://i.imgur.com/5syInfJ.jpg?1

It seems almost random as to which images it does this to. On facebook it is almost every picture/video. On other websites it is most images but some images appear normal.

So far I've done some of the obvious - rebooting; uninstalling and reinstalling chrome, checked my graphic drivers are up to date and gone into chrome's settings and cleared cache for images and files .. so far nothing is working. I honestly have no idea where the problem lies. It must be chrome somehow because explorer and just generally viewing images on my computer itself is fine. 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time :)

Edited by vivapokey, 23 May 2015 - 07:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

That's odd... It's almost like it's displayed in a very low color depth.

What OS are you using?

Does this only happen in your browsers? Or do some graphics or buttons in Windows look weird as well?

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#3 vivapokey

vivapokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

Only happens on Chrome browser, explorer is find and the rest of the graphics on my PC is fine, so viewing picture files or video files on my PC is fine. So it must be a chrome issue? but then uninstalling it and clearing its cache didn't seem to do anything. Nor is every image in it affected. For example, your avatar displays perfectly. Also odd how facebook is by far the most affected site, others are bad but with facebook its every single image/video.

FYI I am running windows 8 latest update.

#4 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:49 AM

That's really weird. I'm guessing it's just Chrome messing up, but I honestly wouldn't know what could be causing it, especially since you mentioned that you cleared its cache.

The fact that it's fine with other browsers does makes me point at Chrome though.

I'll let you know if I find anything about it.

Edited by Foldingchair, 25 May 2015 - 05:49 AM.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#5 vivapokey

vivapokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

Cheers, that would be appreciated! I am really scratching my head at this one. Is there anywhere else on the forum (or elsewhere) that would be appropriate to ask/other people may see? I'm really curious/eager to figure out what the problem is since the most obvious solutions didn't fix it.

#6 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

Does changing "Use hardware acceleration..." (on or off) in the advanced settings of Chrome has an influence ?

chrome-disable-hardware-acceleration.jpg

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#7 frazzkr

frazzkr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

hi i have got the same issue, notebook asus with windows 8.1 google chrome normal and beta, hardware acceleration enabled and disabled, it is always there... 

#8 vivapokey

vivapokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:42 PM

Does changing "Use hardware acceleration..." (on or off) in the advanced settings of Chrome has an influence ?

chrome-disable-hardware-acceleration.jpg

OTT

Hey sorry for the late reply, had been interstate.

Just tried playing around with this as you advised but made no difference :(

#9 vivapokey

vivapokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

Ok got it fixed. I uninstalled my drivers all together with http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ddudownload.htm

Then restarted and installed the latest drivers and it worked fine! Strange that it would still only effect chrome though and nothing else.

#10 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

Indeed strange...

Glad you've got it fixed and thanks for the follow-up !

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#11 vivapokey

vivapokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

So it turns out this issue seems to have come back out of the blue. The above fix seems to work but only temporarily.

I am also starting to notice a new album, only when playing videos from my PC (streaming/youtube stuff is fine). Not to do with the graphics but with sound. There is a lot of stalling of sound and what sounds like a Skrillex song when it stalls.

I'm wondering whether either my hard drive or graphics card is dying? I'm hoping if either it is the former as I was planning to upgrade to solid state really soon, the latter I really can't afford. So not sure if things like these are any symptom of either?

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:25 PM

Hi, upgrading and or replacing the drive is a good point to start as the stalling problem could either be a hardware (hard drive, PSU, sound card) or software (old/buggy/corrupt driver, BIOS) but would want also to make sure that your computer is not also experiencing a thermal or heat problem.

Tekken

#13 vivapokey

vivapokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

So windows is now freshly installed on a new SSD. Everything is running so much smoother as you'd expect, no more problems with video/audio playback. Except, the image issues in chrome are still there. Can't figure this one out. If it was something to do with my graphics card why would it only effect chrome and not other browsers or even images viewed from my computer's files?

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:09 AM

why would it only effect chrome and not other browsers or even images viewed from my computer's files?

It could be the flash/pepperflash built-in for Chrome as IE and Firefox uses the Adobe Flash standalone plugin. Could also be a complatibility issue with certain hardware drivers installed for sound or audio. I've practically been using Internet Explorer and Firefox with Google Chrome as only a standby browser.

Tekken

#15 vivapokey

vivapokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:01 AM

So I've had a whole saga and I think I have the answer. I have tried isolating my graphics card (unplugged it and put the monitor straight into the motherboard) and the problem persists. Tried old graphics drivers and they didn't fix it. Finally, I tried an old version of chrome itself. Sure enough the problem was gone. The next two problems are that chrome auto updates so it doesn't stay fixed for long. The next is that Chrome now refuses to change it's default language from Spanish. I even uninstalled it and installed the latest version again from google and it still is fixed in Spanish ... how the hell do you change that when all the guides on how to change languages don't fix it? Man, it's never ending haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users