Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on purchasing laptop or replacing PC tower

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 redroset

redroset

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:18 PM

After 10+ years my Dell tower is sadly coming to an end. My question now is whether to get another PC tower or a laptop and Windows 7 or 8. I mainly do internet research on my computer so it's used gently.  I have recently losed the ability to use Adobe Flash which I do sometimes need.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Edited by computerxpds, 22 May 2015 - 11:37 PM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:00 AM

Depends on if your prefer sitting at a Desktop or like me relaxing on a couch with a Laptop.

Either way a Desktop is more user friendly if upgrading or minor repairs are needed , compared to a Laptop if something goes wrong.

I have 3 Desktops and 2 Laptops and do repairs on others and for me its not an issue using either or repairing.

Most laptops are fairly reliable these days and for what you require as a normal user would be sufficent.

I would look at Windows 7 System or try WIn 8 and if you dont like the Metro style just downgrade to Win 7.

I purchased 2 laptops in late 2013 for $120:00 secondhand , HP Pavillion G6 and a Compaq CQ62 , i repaired the latter and sold it for $100:00.

And currently use the G6 - wirelessly for daily use , browsing , downloads , etc , also i will add that i removed all bloatware that came with it from the manufacturer.

So minimal requirements would be 4gig ram , 500 - 1TB drive , dedicated graphics.

The choice would be yours on Brand and Cost and and your personal needs.

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:15 AM

After 10+ years my Dell tower is sadly coming to an end. My question now is whether to get another PC tower or a laptop and Windows 7 or 8. I mainly do internet research on my computer so it's used gently.  I have recently losed the ability to use Adobe Flash which I do sometimes need.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi _______,

W/out going into a lot of detail... I can't tell you to go laptop or tower due to their obvious differences, by design.  Only you can decide which best suits your needs & lifestyle.  That said.. for laptops I very highly recommend ASUS.  Towers, I am not a big fan of pre-loaded, off the shelf units.  Best is have a shop build you one.  No bundled crap for one thing.

I, also, @ this point in time, do not recommend 7 or 8.1.  Wait a very short time & absolutely, go w/ Windows 10.  Go w/ Intel i3 or i5 , a 64 bit platform & minimum 4GB RAM.   If you do have a tower built, have them use an SSD for the OS & another HDD for data.  Too bad I can't build one for you.

And buy new not, refurbished or used.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 23 May 2015 - 02:19 AM.

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:19 AM

if you are using your PC mostly at one spot at home, then a desktop definitely has advantages. Laptops are good for students and such that are using their PC in different locations all the time..

Which version of windows is personal preference.  Most users like the win7, but it does come with baggage.  win8 can be modified to interface like win7 using classic shell and is much less taxing on resources.

another alternative is the linux series of OS ( Operating System), which is recommended for so many reasons and can be adapted to allow functionality like windows.  judging by the malware that saturates the cyberwaves via windows, linux is gaining appeal in sure fashion because for the most part, it is dodging the malware effectively.

there are pre-built desktop bundles available for reasonable budgets, most home users would find that most appealing, the  plug-n-play deal. the so-called warranties and service contracts that go along with them is what most users are comfortable with.

there are nice CPUs ( i3 and pentium G series dual cores, and also the AMD APUs) available in PCs nowadays for appealing budget range.

as mentioned above, the RAM should be fine at 4gb for most users., with the option of expanding later on if need be. the thing about RAM is that i see it all the time, where users are installing applications and freeware crap without regard, and the next thing they know is that their RAM is being used up by all the stuff that is loading  at initial boot-up.

would you be looking to get your new PC from a store like wal-mart or best buy? would you be comfortable ordering one from a site and having it delivered? If you would like to have one custom built, there will be plenty more options available, but the budget might get invasive.

oh yes, congratulations on putting your old Dell out of service and thanks for allowing us to assist in your new PC acquisition.

Edited by synergy513, 23 May 2015 - 02:57 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:43 AM

Remember, "@ this point in time"

Buying now 10 makes good wise sense. W7 is no longer available for purchase, boxed or in pre-loaded machines. Once 10 is released THAT is what boxes and new hardware available for purchase will be. At this point in time you do not go with an OS with a shelf life rather than cutting edge technology designed to endure.

And 10 is far more appealing and easier to use than 8.1, anyway.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone

Edited by Drew1903, 23 May 2015 - 03:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users