Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver update

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WAGGAWAGGA

WAGGAWAGGA

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

Have  failed  driver  update  several  times,  when  initiated,  the  pc  goes  through  the  steps  identifying....downloading....installing..............then  a  message  "0  updates  installed",  any  suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

Hello WAGGA WAGGA, welcome to Bleeping Computer!

What method are you using for driver updating?

If it's Windows Update, I would hesitate to suggest following that path. It has been known to create problems, because the drivers found by Windows Update, whilst WHQL certified, are not necessarily the exact drivers for your computer. They can be produced by the manufacturer of a device or chip in the computer, but may not accommodate the way the component is integrated by the computer manufacturer.

Drivers overall do not need to be updated regularly unless there is a specific need, such as a driver is identified as causing a problem or having a known issue, or an update introduces a performance or feature enhancement. Video drivers do fall into the latter category.

If you're installing drivers for a fresh install of the Operating System, it's best to get the right drivers straight from manufacturers' website(s), and really this is also the best approach just for driver refresh or to stay current.

Edited by Platypus, 22 May 2015 - 09:36 PM.
Typo

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 WAGGAWAGGA

WAGGAWAGGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:21 PM

Thanks  Platytpus,

could  I  drain  your  brain  more?  as...................................my  cleaning  software,  System  Mechanic  Professional,  displayed  this  message (re:  updating  the  driver,)  in  my  daily  checks/scans/cleanings  and  for  several  weeks  have  been  on  a  repetitive  cycle  without  success.

Now,  receive  advice  that  the  computer  performance  is  affected  by  this  failure  and  subject  to  freezes/slowed  activity/and  potential  crashes.

Ideally  the  software (my  cleaning  program)   fixes  this  automatically,  but  not  this  time  (also  first  time  ever  that  I  have  seen  this  request)

So,  not  being  a  savvy  computer  operator,   I  am  at  a  loss  and  welcome  any  suggestions.

P.S.  operating  on  Windows  XP.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

I really have no confidence in system utilities such as System Mechanic - are you actually experiencing system slowing, freezes and crashing? Unfortunately, claims like this are largely scare tactics, a generic reason to justify their existence and encourage you to feel like paying for the software.

One easy way to see this is that it's unlikely in the extreme that there are even any driver updates available for XP, it's an obsolete operating system that most manufacturers and certainly Microsoft no longer provide any updates for.

What driver is it trying to update?

#5 WAGGAWAGGA

WAGGAWAGGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

Again,  thanks,  Platypus.  I  am  familiar  with  scare  tactics  to  snare  one  into  purchases/phishing  sites  etc.,  but,  and  again,  due  to  lacking  technical  background, I  am  treading  water.    

Right,  here's  what  I  found:      Also  not  experiencing  any  major/moderate  performance  issues,  just  minor  aggravations,  mostly  operator  errors.

*************************Intel  Corporation-Graphics Adapter  WDDM1.1,-Intel®HD Graphic
Device  type:display adapters
Manufacturer:Intel
Update  priority:normal
Size:59.46 MB****************************.................found  on  my  "designated  drivers  section"  reading,  as  follows...........

one  or  more  driver  updates  were  found  that  apply  to  the  components  of  your  compute,  or  the  devices  connected  to  it.  Review  the  updates  below  and  select  the  ones  you  would  like  to  install>>>>  Exit  to  cancel  without  installing  any  updates>>>>>>1  driver  update  was  found  for  your  computer<<<<<<<<<<       review  list/select  driver/select next.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

FWIW:

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

#7 WAGGAWAGGA

WAGGAWAGGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

Thanks  for  interesting  references.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:26 PM

I'd be a little surprised if there is an XP update for Intel HD graphics, but if you'd like to publish a Speccy diagnostic of your system, we can check what's currently installed:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy

One thing to remember with drivers is that even though a driver may exist with a later release date than the one on your system, it may not mean your driver is outdated. The current driver might be the last stable release for your specific system.

#9 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

Try intel driver update utility.

It detects which driver updates are relevant to your computer, and then helps you install them.

#10 WAGGAWAGGA

WAGGAWAGGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

http://speccy.piri  form.com/results/A0V87HyfMQNuitkaaG3o2Wi  WHAT  DOES  THIS  SHOW?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

Have you removed System Mechanic yet?

You have a Dell system...you should get your drivers from the Dell site, .http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-620/drivers .

Your Intel graphics driver, http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=278GD&fileId=2731101890&osCode=W732&productCode=inspiron-620&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI .

Louis

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:32 AM

I'm wondering why it says the system is running Windows 7 when you've said XP?

#13 WAGGAWAGGA

WAGGAWAGGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

Therein  lies  the  rub,  and  I  see  it  each  day  of  PC  use,  Windows  7.....my  error.

Have  uninstalled  Iolo  technology,  (system  mechanic)  will  download  form  DELL  the  driver  info

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:24 PM

All good, I'll move the topic to the Windows 7 forum, and for a Dell, yes it's usually best to use the drivers supplied by them as hamluis has said. That allows for the possibility that Dell may have something about their implementation of the video that the standard Intel driver doesn't incorporate but their own driver does.

#15 THAZIT

THAZIT

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

Morning. I'm no whiz. just some recent info. Last night I went to intel's site trying to update a graphics card on both my xp machines. after a long circle jerk I was finally told intel update utility would no longer work on xp-at least mine. i was able to locate the driver manually, but to no avail. wouldn't download, and after some more circle jerk was told they wouldnt be supporting xp. Just sayin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users