Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MY I-MAC ATE MY SD CARD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:35 PM

Very unusual - always when I insert the SD card (from my camera) a significant part of it stays on the outside so that you can remove it by pulling it out.

This time the card disappeared into the slot and I do not know how to get it out?

Anybody??

Edited by JayJax, 22 May 2015 - 08:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

Maybe click on 'Finder' and see if it's listed as one of the devices at the top left of the screen. If so, click the eject icon to the right of the listing. For my camera card I have an adapter which it plugs into & the other end is a flash drive connector. 

Edited by Twin B, 22 May 2015 - 08:42 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 Apache15

Apache15

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

As Twin said see if it's listed in finder. If it is, eject it so you don't risk data corruption. Then, try using a flashlight and tweezers to remove it. If it doesn't budge when you try pulling, I'd take it to the Apple Store to see if they can remove it. Don't force the removal.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:17 PM

This time the card disappeared into the slot and I do not know how to get it out?

A pair of tweezers might help.

Don't force the removal.

I'd take it to the Apple Store to see if they can remove it.

I agree, Even if it costs a few bucks it's worth it I think.

Edited by NickAu, 22 May 2015 - 10:19 PM.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

The tweezers cam up empty - I don't want to do too much jamming in there but there's not a lot of room to maneuver.

Problem is my camera manual doesn't say what kind of card to use so I don't know how to replace it.

They give lists that are confusing - I am a simple man who needs simple answers like YES or NO and SD 8gb will work OR NOT.

I STILL can't believe it did that - vanish inside. If it can happen I'm your guy.

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:16 PM

Which brand and model camera do you have?

Bring your iMac to the nearest Apple store. It's not supposed to eat your memory card.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:39 PM

I'm sure they won't do it for free - nobody does anyhing for free - might have to hold off till I get some other stuff paid  - other than that I have to get a new card and that I won't be able to put it in to be read - its not doing any active damage right now. Thx for your advice.

Here's the scoop on my camera:

Nikon COOLPIX S5300 16 MP Wi-Fi CMOS Digital Camera with 8x Zoom NIKKOR Lens and 1080p HD Video

Edited by JayJax, 24 May 2015 - 11:42 PM.

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:48 AM

If your iMac is still under the 1 year warranty, 3 years with Apple Care, it should be free. 

Your camera takes SD, SDHC and SDXC type memory cards. A 8gb card will hold a bit more than 800 images with a 16 mp camera so it should be more than enough for you.

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:11 PM

If your iMac is still under the 1 year warranty, 3 years with Apple Care, it should be free. 

Your camera takes SD, SDHC and SDXC type memory cards. A 8gb card will hold a bit more than 800 images with a 16 mp camera so it should be more than enough for you.

Good idea but unfortunately its no longer under warranty.   I guess I'll just consider it no longer has a card reader available - I have a laptop I believe has a card reader.   It is a pain more than anything because I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of SD Card to get for my camera but I'll figure it out with MAY I SAY no help from NIKON.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users