Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Steam Account Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Killerstrength

Killerstrength

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:27 PM

Hello,

I recently accidently installed a fake ESL client, which gave me a virus. It messed up my steam account, so when I typed in my details it took them and got into my account. I have contacted steam about this and I am waiting for them. Also, I want to get rid of the virus that done this. I have deleted it from my downloads folder. I have fully reinstalled steam, I have looked on multiple websites and used a wide variety of virus scanners. I found a few different things.

Here is one of my scans with anti malware bytes (Logs): http://pastebin.com/YZDH31Zy

A few things were found, but nothing too serious. Steam seems to be working well at the moment. The only difference I see at the moment is when I start steam and look in task manager, the steam logo has changed to an ESL one, which it was the ESL one when it was hacked. So I don't know if I have gotten rid of everything and the logo is still stuck there or what? But everything seems to work well, but when I get my other steam account back, I do not want the same to happen again, so I want to make sure the virus is gone, and how to change the task manager logo, if everything is fine and that is stuck like that after a full steam reinstall.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ransomwolf

ransomwolf

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:51 AM

Hey,

You say you used a wide variety of virus scanners. Do you still have any of their logs (except for malwarebytes, which you already posted)?

Let's try to uninstall Steam and remove its traces.

1. Download Revo Uninstaller Free

2. Install it

3. Open it, locate Steam in the list, right click and select "Uninstall". When it asks you if you're sure you want to uninstall it, select "yes".

4. A window will open, with a setting "moderate" checked. If it's not checked, please check "moderate". Then press "next".

5. The Steam uninstaller will run. After it's done, you'll go back to the window of Revo Uninstaller (the one that looks like this), and you should press "next"

MGboTTJ.png

6. It will scan for leftovers. In the first screen, "Found Leftover Registry items", press "Select all" and press "Delete"

7. The next screen will be "Found leftover files and folders". You can delete everything as well, but keep in mind that, in my experience, some of the entries were offline savegames. So please make a backup of C:\ProgramData\Steam and C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Steam before deleting anything!

8. Press "next" and you'll be presented the finish screen.

You can now install Steam from their site.

Does the problem still persist?

Edited by ransomwolf, 23 May 2015 - 05:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users