Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Anti Malware + Anti Exploit Premium worth it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:28 PM

So, I've been talking to my father, and fed slightly by paranoia, I've come to the conclusion that I want to secure our computers and network as much as possible. I honestly love Malwarebytes. They offer good software, and their prices are very attractive.

As the title suggests, I'm curious what other people's experience is with these two programs. I already have some experience with MBAM Premium from the past, and I have to say I'm pleased. Does Anti Exploit work as good as it is said to be?

Please note that I don't really care about "needing it" or not. I just want to know if it does a good job at what it's supposed to do, just like MBAM. If it does, then I'm buying it. Any layer of defense I can get, I'll grab. :police:

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE), formerly ExploitShield by ZeroVulnerabilityLabs, is a security program that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service and protects against zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit provides three layers of exploit protection (against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, application behavior protection). MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. This means that it will protect against code execution that uses a certain vulnerability in an application. MBAE leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive, does not utilize a lot of system resources and does not use a signature database so there is no need for constant updating.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit includes a 14-day trial mode for the Premium version which you can enable during installation by checking the box when prompted. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium includes additional protecton (Shields) for PDF readers, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Media players and allows the ability to add/manage custom shields. The Premium version requires a registration ID and purchase of a license key after the trial period expires.

Note: The installer/setup for all three...Free, Trial and Premium is the same. If you are installing for the first time during the install, it will ask if you want a 14-day trial mode. If you click continue without unchecking it will enable the 14-day trial. After the trial you can choose to continue using Free or upgrade to paid Premium. If you choose to continue with the Free version, then Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit will still continue providing real-time protection against web-based exploits in browsers, browser add-ons and Java.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Resources:

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 18,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hi Foldingchair :)

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is definitely worth the money. It's one of the best security software that exists to protect against 0-day vulnerabilities and exploits, and it even scored higher than Microsoft's EMET in the last reviews I checked. The paid version is definitely worth it. If you use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, while keeping your vulnerable software updated and/or disabled when needed, you'll protect your system against a lot of attack vectors.

unite_blue.png
Technical Support, Tier 2 | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | R&D at Certly | @AuraTheWhiteHat
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

The full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Premium) includes a real-time Protection Module that uses advanced heuristics scanning technology to monitor your system and prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source. This technology dynamically blocks malware sites & servers, prevents the execution of malware, proactively monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software...it does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

Enabling the self-protection module controls whether Malwarebytes creates a safe zone to prevent malicious manipulation of the program and its components. For more specific information, please refer to:

Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. An outgoing IP alert indicates that a process on your system tried to access a malicious IP and was prevented from loading content onto your system. A browser is not required to be running for an alert to occur...just an active Internet connection with processes running. IP alerts are also triggered by banner ads appearing on websites since in some case these ads are malicious. Notification that an outgoing IP address has been blocked does not necessarily mean the computer is infected. Some legitimate programs on your computer (i.e. iTunes, Instant Messenger client, SKYPE, P2P software, web browsers) have access to the Internet and that action can trigger an IP alert if it tried to access a malicious IP address.

IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections (communications) it determines to be malicious and you did not request from entering your computer. it determines to be malicious. Hackers use "port scanning", a popular reconnaissance technique, to search for vulnerable computers with open ports using IP addresses or a group of random IP address ranges so they can break in and install malicious programs. Botnets and Zombie computers scour the net, randomly scanning a block of IP addresses, searching for for vulnerable ports (commonly probed ports) and make repeated attempts to access them.

For information about Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection), please refer to:

Windows Insider MVP 2017

#5 Foldingchair

Foldingchair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

Well quietman7, I think all your information will definitely convince my old man. Most of this I already knew, but it's nice to get some direct, in-depth information from a fellow human being, as well as an opinion from someone else. (Pointing at you, Aura).

And I completely forgot about the trial thing. That might be useful for a try out.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

Good luck. :thumbup2:
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#7 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:59 PM

Hello Foldingchair:

A dwindling number of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) Lifetime licenses are still available on amazon.com

As extremely few of these Amazon businesses are Malwarebytes affiliates, please assure yourself the vendor has a stellar reputation.  In other words, simply be aware of frauds.

FWIW - No such similar lifetime licenses were ever sold for Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE).

Thank you.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#8 Foldingchair

Foldingchair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:46 AM

That's an interesting thing to note 1PW. Although if we do decide to go with it, budget is not that much of an issue. The total of about 50 euros is exactly what we're willing to pay. I'd definitely feel better about getting the licenses directly from MB

Edited by Foldingchair, 23 May 2015 - 04:47 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:50 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware payment, ID's and Keys are managed by Cleverbridge Customer Service
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 18,615 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

No problem Foldingchair :)

unite_blue.png
Technical Support, Tier 2 | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | R&D at Certly | @AuraTheWhiteHat
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users