Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Life Is Strange - laptop overheating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StarTRex

StarTRex

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:25 PM

I recently got the first 3 episodes of LiS on Steam and every time I play the 2nd episode, my laptop performs and emergency shut-down to stop it from overheating. I'm going to try playing it when it's the only non-OS software running, and on lowest graphics settings. If my laptop keeps shutting down, do you think I'd be able to get a refund for that episode at least? Pretty annoying since I've been enjoying the game so far. Also, would reducing the "screen" size of the game help? Does that actually require less processing power than full-screen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:58 PM

You could try getting a refund for that episode but I think you would be out of luck !

Your better course of action would be to look at the state of the cooling on your laptop because if it is suffering thermal shutdown on one game it is likely to be close on the other episodes. You could start by blowing out the cooling ducts on your laptop with a can of compressed air.

If you decide you need to get into the heat sink/heat pipe and fan area, then enter the make and model of your laptop into 'Search' on you tube and you will almost certainly find videos showing you how to do this. Remember that if you do disturb the heat sinks/pipes you will need to replace the thermal paste that mates these surfaces before you re-assemble.

There are software solutions to help you keep an eye on temperatures. Speccy is one and you can get it here on BC, for free -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Speedfan is another and you can get it from here, also I believe for free -

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 May 2015 - 06:20 PM.
Typing !

#3 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:56 AM

the heat sensor might be bad. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users